Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Yet another hard drive question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Yet another hard drive question.

Old 01-03-01, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I have my new processor(P3 933MHz) and motherboard(ASUS CUSL2) coming in the mail this week. I recently bought a new 40 gig hard drive that replaced my 15 gig hard drive in my current computer. I plan on running both drives in the new computer That I'm putting together, now for the question(s)--

Does it matter which HD I use as the master?

Can I run two different operating systems(and how)?

If I run the same operating system on both, do I have to install WIN '98(for example) on both, or will the slave feed off of the OS of the master drive?

------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
"If I hear one more noise in here, I'm crackin' skulls!"
Old 01-03-01, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dvdsteve2000

I could write a book on those questions.

Here is the short version.

1. Use the 40G drive as the master and as the boot drive for your OS. It SHOULD be faster than the 15G drive is the biggest reason.

2. Yes you can dual boot operating systems, but why? Install 98 first then install win2k from within 98 and it will setup a boot menu for you. This can get really complex depending on how you want to do it.

3. If your operating system is on the 40G drive and that drive boots, it can read the 15G drive without you install the OS there too. The 15G drive just needs to be formatted and connected properly.
Old 01-03-01, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

2. Yes you can dual boot operating systems, but why? Install 98 first then install win2k from within 98 and it will setup a boot menu for you. This can get really complex depending on how you want to do it
<HR>

How would I install Win2K 'inside' of 98 without it basically replacing 98? I was considering running 98SE and Office 2000 on seperate drives if possible(or partitions). Do you not recommend this, and why/why not?
Old 01-03-01, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4KRG-

Answer #1-My 40 is faster, 7200, than my 15, which is 5400.

Answer #3-So the slave WILL feed off of the masters OS, but is it OK to have the OS on both? Just trying to check all options and angles.
Old 01-03-01, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:

How would I install Win2K 'inside' of 98 without it basically replacing 98? I was considering running 98SE and Office 2000 on seperate drives if possible(or partitions). Do you not recommend this, and why/why not?
<HR>

Install win98 (in a c:\windows directory)

boot win98

insert the win2k cd-rom

install win2k (in a c:\winnt directory) a clean install, not an upgrade, you will see the menu.

My point in saying from "inside 98" was to run the win2k install from the 98 gui, not boot from the win2k cd and install that way. That will screw up the dual boot.

What does this have to do with OFFICE?? You Typed OFFICE above I am talking about WINDOWS 2000, not OFFICE 2000, what are you talking about?
Old 01-03-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sorry, a guy I work with kept calling 2K that, and I got so used to hearing him saying it....He was under the impression that only businesses could use it...

I mean Windows 2K, sorry.
Old 01-03-01, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4KRG-

Answer #1-My 40 is faster, 7200, than my 15, which is 5400.
<HR>

Thought so, run the 40g as master

quote:<HR>

Answer #3-So the slave WILL feed off of the masters OS, but is it OK to have the OS on both? Just trying to check all options and angles.
<HR>

You can have the OS on both, it will boot from the active partition on the master drive unless you have a boot manager interfere and do it otherwise. Win2k has a built in boot manager, that will let you install win2k to any partition (within spec) so you could install win2k to the second drive if you wanted to, and the boot manager will handle it automatically for you. Some people feel better doing it this way.

Personally, I do not like dual booting, but like I said I am a weirdo
Old 01-03-01, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So 4KRG, how does one become as knowledgable as yourself in computers?? Did you go to school? I know your job is in the computer field, what exactly do you do? I got my PC in February '99, and recently I've been trying to "learn" as much ABOUT them as I am with USING them. This Forum, the people, and especially you are a great influence to us that are just starting out, making us want to expand our horizons from surfer to...um, geek, I guess. I really appreciate all of the help you, and all of the others have given me!! I'm sure I'll be hounding you with plenty more questions in the future!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-01, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So 4KRG, how does one become as knowledgable as yourself in computers??
<HR>

I did it the hard way, many sleepless nights with a desire to figure out WHY? I am the type that thinks every problem has an answer and if I keep at it I will figure it out 4KRG <------- is nuts!

For the most part I am self taught. Other people I know in the business think something is wrong with me (half cyborg or something) but computers and such just make sense to me without even trying.

Remember Will, from Good Will Hunting and natural ability with math. That is me with computers and yes I am tired of explaining stuff like this to people like you (movie reference, just a joke, I really have fun explaining it)

Along those same lines I usually have to put my eyes and hands on the problem. Doing phone support or email/forum support is someimes a challenge for me. My natural ability usually requires me to actually look at how/what the system is doing to see where it is going wrong. Other things are obvious, but there are so many details it is impossible to know everything off the top of my head. Usually, when I answer here it is off the top of my head. If I felt like researching a little I could do better here, but why? only if I see something here that really bothers me technically will I research it (like X with his monitor issue, that is just not right and bothers me).

Did you go to school?
<HR>

Yes and no. I have more on the job training than school training and there are lots of resaons for that. I have taken training and taken exams (too numerous to list, or brag about) It is really all too much information for me to retain (for any human to retain) I more just have a developed sense of where to start looking at problems. In order to do this you need to know HOW everything works to know what failed.

I know your job is in the computer field, what exactly do you do?
<HR>

I have many jobs. Primarily it is to make sure that my companies computers, networks and related services are always running. I hire people to do most of it. My curious nature will not let me leave it alone, so many times I do the jobs of those below me (or do it with them) just because I want to (because management issues bore the crap outta me, reviews, goals, training, white papers, network docs, etc).

Secondary, I am the end all beat all to solving problems. If no one on my staff can figure somthing out, it is left to me. This is rare because I have some real talent working for me, but it does happen (or at least I come in for a second opinion on an issue) I have even had Microsoft on site to confirm their crappy software was the only cause of a problem and have them write me a fix.

I got my PC in February '99, and recently I've been trying to "learn" as much ABOUT them as I am with USING them. This Forum, the people, and especially you are a great influence to us that are just starting out, making us want to expand our horizons from surfer to...um, geek, I guess. I really appreciate all of the help you, and all of the others have given me!! I'm sure I'll be hounding you with plenty more questions in the future!!!!!!!
<HR>

Keep learning, it will only help you in the future. Don't be afraid to go back and learn old stuff too. I am always impressed when I find someone that knows DOS. That basic DOS knowledge still goes a long way today.

You are not a geek until you have at least 3 servers and 3 workstations networked in your house! At my worst I had (servers) (2)NT, NOVELL 3.11, Novell 3.12, Novell 4.11 (worstations) DOS/win3.1, win 95, win NT, and linux. I have a spare bedroom that looks like 18 computers blew up in it