Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I record MPEG clips from a DVD on my DVDROM as I watch it on my PC?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can I record MPEG clips from a DVD on my DVDROM as I watch it on my PC?

Old 01-02-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like the title says, can I record MPEG clips from a DVD on my DVDROM as I watch it on my PC? If so, what prog do I need?

I know this isn't the right forum, but no one ever answers my questions in the other hardware/tech forums.

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-02-01, 04:25 PM
Uber Member

Well, you've only asked two questions and they were both moved from here, but you have a point.

To answer your screen capture question, check out www.dvdutils.com for some software decoders that will let you do screen captures.

You might want to check ebay for a product called SnapIt! (I think that was it's name). You can hook a VCR up to that and get good screen captures. Also, any of the mainstream video capture cards should work for this. ATI has some, Matrox has some good products too, and I believe even the Voodoo and several versions of the TNT chipsets are sold with video inputs.

I can't really answer your question about using your HDTV as a computer monitor. I would think it would depend on your video card being able to support the resolutions that your TV is capable of displaying. However, I would be a little cautious in doing this as it may be possible to damage your TV by sending it a video signal it can't handle.

Lastly, for mpeg clip recording, I'd check dvdutils for that as well. I believe there's another DVDRom site out there, but the name escapes me at the moment.

Hopefully that will give you something to work on, and maybe Jason will see this and be able to give you some more info.

Moving to DVD Rom anc Computer forum.

------------------
David, Administrator, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 01-02-01, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Blade for your answers. I already have a card that lets me input my VCR and DVD player into my computer so I can record MPEG's and take screen captures.

I'm making an office and only have one DVD player but thinking of getting a DVDROM so I can take MPEG clips from DVD's. I'd like to use a DVDROM so I don't have to move my DVD player back and forth between the 2 rooms. But what I want to know is if there is a program that will let me make MPEG movie clips from a DVD on my DVDROM.

As for the computer on my HDTV, I already figured it out. I need a Elsa Gladiac GeForce2 MX card so I can do custome 16x9 resolutions and a VGA to component convertor.

Hopefully Jason will be able to help me.

Thanks again,
Nosebleed
Old 01-02-01, 08:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

The best way to get the clips you want to record to MPEG is to do some DVD Ripping (something I've never done). If you want to do this check out 7th Zone for some articles on how to capture portions of the movie (or the whole thing). Just keep in mind that that meathod will be time consuming and you won't be able to do it while you are watching.

Depending on your capture card and your system's performance, you can do it in real time while you are watching, as long as you have a dedicated hardware DVD decoder (like the Hollywood Plus) that is outputting the DVD video. If your capture card doesn't offer on board MPEG compression and your system performance isn't really high, you will probably have to record the clip to AVI first and then compress it to MPEG. Post your entire system specs and I'll tell you which which way will work better and what software to use.

If all you want is to capture stills, use the PowerDVD software decoder which has a built in screen capture utillity. It will come out looking much better than what you'd get by using your capture card.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-02-01, 08:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blade:
...check out www.dvdutils.com for some software decoders that will let you do screen captures.
<HR>

David, Just to let you know, 6-12 months ago they changed to 7thzone.com

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-02-01, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for your help. I guess the best way to capture MPEG clips of DVD's on the fly is to just take my DVD player back and forth.

Thanks again!
Old 01-03-01, 05:16 PM
Uber Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Northrup:

David, Just to let you know, 6-12 months ago they changed to 7thzone.com
<HR>

Why'd they do that? dvdutils is a lot easier to remember than 7thzone. What the heck does that have to do with DVDs? Is 7 the number of people who are now able to find their site? j/k Thanks for the update. That was the other dvd rom site I referred to in my post.

Nosebleed,

See? You got a response. Wish it had been what you were looking for though.

On the other hand, if you're willing to spend $50-$75 on a dvd rom drive, why not just spend $100 on a second DVD player?

-David