Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HELP - How do I connect my PC to receiver???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HELP - How do I connect my PC to receiver???

Old 12-19-00, 11:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting my new Dell this week and want to connect it to my home theater system. I'm not that good with things like this and need some help. What kind of cables do I need? Where do I connect it to? I heard I need an RCA cable but I would need about 20 or 25 ft to reach my PC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-20-00, 02:10 AM

You can use a mini jack to RCA. But as the cable gets longer you might run into static or a humming due to interferance or weakness in the line. I am using a 12 foot cable without any trouble. I have it connected to the cd connectors on the back of my receiver.

Good luck
Old 12-20-00, 10:58 AM

Thanks Bigbot,

I'm going to radioshack today to find the cable and will try hooking it up when I get my computer. I hope it works because I bought the cheapest speakers on my computer knowing I would use my home theater system.
Old 12-20-00, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very important questions:

* Do you have a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater (with a digital input)?
* Does your pc have a dvd-rom?
* Does your pc have a digital output (assuming it has a dvd-rom)?

The only way to get Dolby Digital or DTS from your pc is to use a digital output from your pc into a digital input on your receiver (or processor or whatever you have).

I have no idea if this concerns you.

-S
Old 12-21-00, 02:21 AM

quote:<HR>
* Do you have a Dolby Digital/DTS home theater (with a digital input)?
* Does your pc have a dvd-rom?
* Does your pc have a digital output (assuming it has a dvd-rom)?
<HR>

Yes, my home theater system has dolby digital/DTS input. My PC does not have a DVD- rom because I didn't want one (I have a DVD player already.) I also don't think that my PC has a digital output. The sound card that I have is soundblaster live and I read that it does not have digital outputs. Does this mean I can't get digital surround sound because of the sound card I have? Even if I can't get digital sound, would I still be able to get better sound than than the harmon/kardon speakers that are on my computer?
Old 12-21-00, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Venus:
Does this mean I can't get digital surround sound because of the sound card I have?
<HR>

Yes. At least not Dolby Digital sound. You'll be using an analog output from your pc.

Even if I can't get digital sound, would I still be able to get better sound than than the harmon/kardon speakers that are on my computer?
<HR>

Impossible to say, since you didn't say what your home theater speakers are, but I'll guess yes.

Also you mentioned that your HT is 25 feet from your pc. Is that how far away the speakers are? This is the reason I was guessing that you were using the dvd player on your pc (since you wouldn't be sitting at your pc to watch a movie).
Old 12-21-00, 03:42 PM

Steve,

I have Klipsch quintet series speakers (2 front, 2 rear, and center) with a Yamaha receiver and a 12" subwoofer. I think this should sound better than the PC speakers. Also, my PC is not 25 ft away, that's just how much wiring I would need from my computer to my HT. It's probably about 12-15 ft away. Yesterday I bought a 20 ft RCA stereo cable and I still need a mini jack adapter. Does this sound like the right type of cables?
Old 12-21-00, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve,

I have Klipsch quintet series speakers (2 front, 2 rear, and center) with a Yamaha receiver and a 12" subwoofer. I think this should sound better than the PC speakers. Also, my PC is not 25 ft away, that's just how much wiring I would need from my computer to my HT. It's probably about 12-15 ft away. Yesterday I bought a 20 ft RCA stereo cable and I still need a mini jack adapter. Does this sound like the right type of cables?
<HR>

Sounds right to me.

Also, I'm sure these speakers will sound better than the speakers on your pc.
Old 12-21-00, 07:22 PM

This is how I have mine setup:

SoundBlaster Live!
Line Out 1->JBL Computer Speakers
Line Out 2->Yamaha RX-V596 (CD left,right)

Yamaha->JBL SCS-135 Sub and Satellite speakers.

With this I atleast get Pro-logic on cd music and pc games.

My decoder card is connected to the receiver through a digital coaxial cable so I don't miss out on dts or dd when watching movies.
Old 12-21-00, 08:19 PM

Thanks Steve and Bigbot. This will help me when I begin connecting all these things together. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out
Old 12-27-00, 09:52 PM

Well, I tried hooking everything up and spent $32 in wiring. The sound was good, but there was a humming noise that annoyed me to death. I think that either the cables were very cheap or were too long. Anyhow, I decided to return all cables/adapters and bought 5.1 digital PC speakers from Creative Labs. I think I'll be much happier with these.

Thanks for evryone's help!
Old 12-28-00, 03:50 AM

More than likely it was the length of the cable that caused the distortion. Sorry you had to go to all that work, and it didn't work. Those creative 5.1 systems are pretty nice I thought about doing that before connecting my receiver to my system.
Old 12-29-00, 03:49 PM

I'm running the analog audio from my PC's Pioneer DVD through my Mackie mixer's tape input/output path to my receiver, and I ran into the annoying hum as well. I was using monstrously shielded 12 foot cables with gold connectors -- we routinely run audio lines much more than 10 feet within the radio station, so I figured it wasn't the length of the run that was causing the problem. Our tech guy tells me that hum usually arises because consumer audio gear uses unbalanced inputs and outputs, and they're much more susceptible to hum than balanced pro stuff. Plus, if your PC is plugged into the same power circuit as your home theater system, that will increase the likelihood of a ground loop. My solution was to unground my PC; that didn't completely eliminate the hum, but now it's inaudible even during quiet moments in movies. Disclaimer start -->You should check with your friendly neighborhood electrical inspector before taking this route; you may or may not be violating local codes by doing so.<--Disclaimer end. The other option is to break the ground (the outside flange) on one of your RCA audio connectors (in which case you don't need to check with the inspector), but this can be a hit or miss affair. Also note that if you're using digital output/input, all of the foregoing is moot, unless you happen to live next door to a large, poorly shielded nuclear reactor. :-)
Old 12-31-00, 03:34 PM
Cool New Member

Is it possible to go from your Receiver to your PC. I want to rent the U2 Rattle and Hum DVD and burn a copy of the songs not available on the audio CD?
Old 01-02-01, 07:28 AM
CW

I am starting to build a Home theater that is PC based i.e Dvd rom to TV via decoder, I would like to connect the decoder spdif to a AV reciever - no problems there hopefully, also i would like to connect my line out of the PC to the reciever via the 3.5mm line out
is this possible?? that way i can use the pc to play mp3,cd's thru the HT reciever
my tv and Pc are close together

Old 01-02-01, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by starsin2000:
[B]Is it possible to go from your Receiver to your PC.

Sure, just take one of your line outputs -- Tape 2 is a good bet -- from the receiver into your sound card's line in. If you have a standard consumer sound card, you'll need a 3.5mm to 2RCA adapter, and the more shielding, the better.
Old 01-02-01, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Venus,
I noticed that you mentioned buying the Creative Labs 5.1 speaker setup, but I didn't hear you mention a new sound card. Just keep in mind that just because you are getting "digital" 5.1 speakers, if your sound card doesn't have a digital out, you still can't get DD or DTS. Just a thought...
Old 01-02-01, 09:58 PM

quote:<HR>originally posted by Slick44:
I noticed that you mentioned buying the Creative Labs 5.1 speaker setup, but I didn't hear you mention a new sound card. Just keep in mind that just because you are getting "digital" 5.1 speakers, if your sound card doesn't have a digital out, you still can't get DD or DTS. Just a thought...
<HR>

The sound I card I have is the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz DSP which came with my dell. It does have a digital out, but I'm no longer using my HT system. I ended up buying Altec Lansings THX certified ADA 885 speakers with subwoofer. I know they're not top of the line, but they'll do for now. Maybe if I find a way to move my computer closer to my home theater system, I might give it a go!
Old 01-03-01, 01:04 AM

Well, I got my Soundblaster Live! Platinum 5.1 today. I must say, it is a very sweet card and software bundle. I now have my computer connected to the external decoder connectors on the back of my Yamaha Receiver, so I am getting 5.1 sound on mp3's, cd's, and games(that support it). This card and Live Drive give so many ways to connect or configure how you attach speakers. Plus, the new remote is really easy to use. Very Nice Product!