Reload this Page >

HTPC case for Dell 530?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HTPC case for Dell 530?

Old 10-12-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTPC case for Dell 530?

I'm looking to swap cases from tower to one that I can fit on my av stand (i.e. a horizontal case).

Here's the specs for my machine:

0 01323 INFORMATION..., NO ITEM
1 CR457 Processor, Q6600, 2.4, 8MB, Core Duo Kentsfield, G0
1 R908C INSTRUCTION..., BDG-TO-MNTW-L6, 530QC
1 W393C INSTRUCTION..., DEVIATE L6 TO L5+, 530QC
1 JY172 PLACEMAT..., GETTING STARTED..., DIMENSION..., DAO/BCC
1 DN133 Hard Drive, 500G, S2, 7.2K, 16M Lead Free, Samsung
1 DJ301 Kit, Mouse, Universal Serial Bus, 2BTN, Optical, Lead Free Black
1 C831D Kit, Software, Powerdvd, 7.0 Digital Video Disk Drive 7.0-02
1 RX073 Kit, Software, Overpack, WXPPSP2 Compact Diskette W Documentation, English
1 J8461 Assembly, Cable, Video, Lead Free
1 WX094 Card, Graphics, 258, 8600 MRMGA+3B
2 WG440 Dual In-Line Memory Module 512, 800M, 64X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
2 CM633 Dual In-line Memory Module 1GB, 800, 128X64, 8, 240, 1RX8
1 NY414 Keyboard, 104, Universal Serial Bus, United States, Entry, SilverDRFN
1 F084D Kit, Software, Roxio, 10-0, Dell Edition
0 83535 INFORMATION..., PART, ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY ATTACHMENT PACKET INTERFACE..., DEVICE
1 DW559 Assembly, DVD+/-RW..., 16X, Half Height, BARE, Sony Nec Optiarc Inc.
1 CP825 Assembly, Heatsink, Fan, Mini Tower
1 XX784 ASSEMBLY..., CHASSIS..., QUADRUPLE..., Pentium 4 Prescott DT, 3.0GHZ, 1 MEGB, 800FSB..., POWER FACTOR CORRECTION..., PWA INTEGRATED...

I've added a Pinnacle tv tuner card and another HD. Also, installed a new sound card that has a front bay as well (this one

http://support.creative.com/Products...T=CategoryID:1

I suppose I could just lay it on it's side and then the only problem (aside from the ghetto-ness of it) would be loading cds/dvds, but I could just hold it in place as it loads....although that's probably not recommended.

So, any recommendations? Preferably something not too pricey.

Thanks
Old 10-12-09, 01:05 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: HTPC case for Dell 530?

The major question is the size of the motherboard. If it's a full ATX or mini/micro ATX.

If you don't know the answer it could be determined from its dimensions. Also, is the power supply a standard form factor or will you need another one to fit in another case?

Are you planning on playing Blu-ray with it? Do you have a link to the computer at Dell?
Old 10-12-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
The major question is the size of the motherboard. If it's a full ATX or mini/micro ATX.

If you don't know the answer it could be determined from its dimensions. Also, is the power supply a standard form factor or will you need another one to fit in another case?

Are you planning on playing Blu-ray with it?
yeah, I was trying to figure out the atx thing as well.

I have a PS3 so I can use that for blu-ray (although I haven't done so yet). I think I saw last night where someone identified the atx size. I'll see if I can find that.

Any other upgrades I should consider? The video card is kind of shitty, but I don't game. I mostly use the pc for internet, storage, audio creation/editing. I use it as a media server and, since it's connected to my 50" plasma, I play video files off it. Not much beyond that that I can think of.
Old 10-12-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

one thing, though and maybe it has to do with the power supply, is that it makes a humming sound when I write to my 1tb wd caviar black hd. I know those are louder than others and it could be that I ran out of scews and it's a bit loose, but if it's because the power supply isn't strong enough, then I'd def. replace it as well.
Old 10-12-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here's the thread I was referring to:

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...uid=0&t=700167

looks like microATX, but I'm not certain....
Old 10-12-09, 01:23 PM
X
Administrator

It may be a mini or micro ATX. The dimensions will determine that. Someone posted from your link... "the 530s are pretty close to a stock micro ATX case now" so that may be the answer.

I read that on one particular model the power supply is not standard size and that the motherboard had non-standard connectors. So you need to find out if that is the case. If your power supply can be replaced by the Antec EarthWatts you're ok.

What is your video? You probably need to upgrade if you want to play DVD/Blu-ray decently.
Old 10-12-09, 01:32 PM
X
Administrator

A microATX motherboard would fit nicely in a relatively small case but your large power supply is going to limit your choices.

I built my last HTPC with a full ATX motherboard so there was plenty of room for components, like a full-size power supply. The case is fairly large but it fits nicely in my component rack and I like being able to add as many boards as I want.

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1319&ID=1426
Old 10-12-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
It may be a mini or micro ATX. The dimensions will determine that. Someone posted from your link... "the 530s are pretty close to a stock micro ATX case now" so that may be the answer.

I read that on one particular model the power supply is not standard size and that the motherboard had non-standard connectors. So you need to find out if that is the case. If your power supply can be replaced by the Antec EarthWatts you're ok.

What is your video? You probably need to upgrade if you want to play DVD/Blu-ray decently.
the video is an Nvidia 8600 GT. It's hooked up to a Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK via dvi to hdmi (although I kept getting a green screen when switching between components using my monoprice hdmi switcher) so it's on vga at the moment since it doesn't seem to think the monitor plug has been disconnected when I switch inputs.

From another website, I saw that it may be a standard ATX.

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/...l=en&cs=&s=gen
Old 10-12-09, 02:31 PM
X
Administrator

Your 8600GT may or may not have HDCP support so that's a consideration in playing Blu-ray. Otherwise you should be ok.
Old 10-12-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah, it looks like the 8600GT doesn't support HDCP. I'm not even that knowledgable about HDCP so I'll have to research that.

I guess I'd consider a new case, psu, and video card. That thermalake one is badass and if I can constantly upgrade it, I would consider buying it....
Old 10-12-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Getting a DVI Doctor or something similar would probably fix the component switching when using DVI to HDMI. Not sure if you want to spend $50 on it though.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 10-12-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Getting a DVI Doctor or something similar would probably fix the component switching when using DVI to HDMI. Not sure if you want to spend $50 on it though.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
thanks for the link. I didn't know such a product existed.

It's strange because I have the hdmi switcher set up for my HD-DVR, ps3 and computer. if I switch between computer and dvr, I get the green screen, but if I switch to the PS3 input and then the computer, it's fine. I don't know if the ps3 resets the input or what.

Either way, I'm thinking of replacing the video card so hopefully that'll resolve the green screen issue. I've spent lots of time trying to determine what the issue is, but the best I've come up with is that, when I switch hdmi to something else, the video card thinks it's been unplugged from the monitor.
Old 10-12-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Reading the reviews though, it looks like it doesn't pass HDCP.

But yeah, I had similar issues with a PC running to an HDMI switch to a projector, where it wouldn't remember that there was a signal and this fixed it.
Old 11-05-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

by the way, I vacuumed out the case and noticed that one of my hds was loose (hence the noise). it's quiet now, but I haven't made any decision regarding when to upgrade. I'll likely go with the Thermaltake that was recommended. I guess I will need a video card.....although I'm not sure if it will matter with my motherboard. Any suggestions or recommendations on what to upgrade? Or whether it's worth it to just build anew?
Old 11-05-09, 05:54 PM
X
Administrator

If you don't need another computer it seems your motherboard/CPU/RAM will work fine. Your video card will too, other than the potential HDCP issue. I have an 8400GS that has HDCP support. You'll need a Blu-ray drive and those are going down in price. Black Friday would probably have one at a good price.

Be aware that the Thermaltake case has only one opening for a DVD drive.
Old 11-06-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the info. I should only need 1 drive....although I suppose it means I can't use the soundbank thing for my soundcard. that's not a big deal.

how do I determine what video cards will work with my motherboard or with that case? I'd like to know what my options are but also what will NOT work. I know there's low profile ones, but not really sure if that would matter.
Old 02-10-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up going with this:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...C=1345&ID=1424

I got a refurb from thermaltake for $75 shipped. They also have the one listed above, but I wanted the 3 front bay option. Also, I picked up a new video card and power supply over christmas. I don't think they'll be an issue with card (already swapped the power out in old case).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133266

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153052

Last edited by dick_grayson; 02-10-10 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-10-10, 03:19 PM
X
Administrator

That looks pretty nice with all that drive space and it comes with the remote functionality. Does the panel say anything other than "Welcome Home Theater PC"?

I'd be concerned about the noise from that video card though.
Old 02-12-10, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't really care about the panel readout so we'll see what is lists. Either way, the card noise may be a problem. I still have my backup card in case it's crazy loud. I usually have a fan on so the overall noise shouldn't be that much of a problem. I plan on putting it together this weekend, but have a feeling I'll get halfway through and get stuck and then be screwed.

The case arrived last night, but I haven't opened it. The next thing I'll add is a bluray reader/writer but not any time soon..
Old 02-13-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well, the panel ain't listing shit since it's the non vfd model. I probably should have caught that. Anyway, I can order one if I want although if it's just going to list titles and stuff, then I can do without it.

From what it sounds like based on reviews, I may need that space for my video card anyway. I also hope I can remove the flap panel on the front to show the other drive[s] without creating problems.....again something I probably should have researched.