Reload this Page >

Can I run iTunes on an external HD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-07-09, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My daughter has had a few Vista-related issues (a long with a virus or two) with her new laptop, resulting in her having her HD reformatted.

Her big issue is losing her music. Anticipating that this might happen again, I was wondering if she could install iTunes on an external HD?

Would that work the same as if it were on the main laptop drive?

What are the pros/cons of a that, if any?

As always, thanks in advance...
Old 10-07-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Can I run iTunes on an external HD?

You can't run the iTunes program on an external HD but you can put the iTunes library on another drive and point the program to it.

I do this with my computer. The pros are that my files are relatively safer, I don't use main HD space for my iTunes lirary, and I can take my library with me & authorize an additional four computers to access that libary. The only con is that you have to have the external drive attached to access the library but that's a given.
Old 10-07-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: Can I run iTunes on an external HD?

I installed iTunes on my external drive, and had no problem doing so (until my external went bad and I lost 80% of my library). So, yes, it will work but make sure you/she/whomever regularly backs up the library to DVD-R's. (One nice thing is that if you restore from an iTunes backup, it not only puts the files back into the library, but it remembers the playlists you had, too.)