Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here burning dvds? ...or know how to?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Anyone here burning dvds? ...or know how to?

Old 12-30-00, 03:41 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told by a guy that all you need a is cd-rw and the software (and data discs). I can't remember the name of the software, but he said you can get it from Best buy. Is this true? Is it possible to burn dvd's using my pc's cd-rw? .....seems to easy!!

I don't want to here how it's against the law, since these dvd's will NOT be leaving my bedroom. Even though I'm sure the whole "copying" thing is against the law.

Thanks
Old 12-30-00, 04:32 PM
Mod Emeritus

It is possible to burn DVD data onto a CD, but you will be limited to 650MB (or 700MB). Burning onto DVD is more pricey. The drives are about $5000 and blank media is about $30/disc. If you were to get into DVD burning you'd be limited to single layer material, which would rule out many movies if you were to copy them.

With the high cost of a DVD burner and media, you be better off just buying the movie.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-31-00, 12:45 AM
Cool New Member

So, I could get 650 or 700mb onto one disc and that would be all?!?!?! ...or is it not even possible with a cd-rw? Wouldn't 650 or 700 = like 74 or 80 minutes of the movie??

Spending 5k is out of the Question!

What about data discs....aren't they suppose to store more than 650 or 700mb?

...I think the person who told me about this was talking out his ass!!!

Thanks again!!

Old 12-31-00, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it would take 5-8 cdr's to burn a dvd and unless you were able to divide up the data right i doubt they would even play at all. more than likely you would end up with a bunch of coasters. I guess you could get the data and convert it to a vcd format and try to burn it. I am not sure how you would even go about doing it. this would take about two cdr's and the quality would be vhs-like.

He was doing some talking out of his behind
Old 12-31-00, 12:04 PM
Banned

Plus, not all DVD's read CDR's. A DVD is just wav files and Mpeg files. You could just decompress it. That's what people do when you find burned copies on the internet. Then format it to mp3 sound and mp2 video (a la DIVX), then it would fit onto 1 CDR. Only problem is it wouldn't play on some DVD players.

But really, for all that trouble, I'd go out and pay the 12 bucks.
Old 12-31-00, 12:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 01civicLX:
Wouldn't 650 or 700 = like 74 or 80 minutes of the movie??
<HR>

Probably only about 20min of the movie.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-31-00, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by matta:
You could just decompress it.
<HR>

Wouldn't decompressing it just make the filesizes even bigger?
Old 12-31-00, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

quote:<HR>Originally posted by matta:
Plus, not all DVD's read CDR's.
But really, for all that trouble, I'd go out and pay the 12 bucks.
<HR>

Is that why my Sony dvd player refuses to play a burned cd?!?!?!?

...but my brother's cheap Magnavok (sp?) has no problem.

Are all the Sonys this way?

[This message has been edited by 01civicLX (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, someone likes the movie that much then go out and buy it. Helps support the creators.

Old 12-31-00, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, here's what I know (and it ain't much

1) Currently there are two DVD recorders available, both from Pioneer. One is a $4600 SCSI unit which can write DVDs created in programs like DVDCreator, DVDit, and a few others. You can make menu's, etc., but you are limited to single later discs. Blanks are $15-$30 each and are not rewritable.

The other unit is a set-top box available in Japan (the land of the rising electronics-prices) for $2500. This works like a VCR and you can record up to 4 hours on a single sided, non rerecordable disc.

2) You can use many different software packages to make VCDs, which hold 1 hour of video in VHS EP quality. I really don't know a lot about these since I've never really been interested in making them. VCD can be played on CD-ROMs and most set-top DVD players, but some earlier players won't play VCDs made on a CD-R (they only play the professionally made ones). VCD is pretty much a dead-end, IMHO.

3) Sonic Solutions makes a very interesting software package called myDVD. This allows you to make DVDs that can be played on CD-ROM players, but you are limited to 20 minutes of playing time. These will NOT play on set-top boxes. I haven't used this, but for $99, it sounds interesting, even though it is limited.

Now for a juicy unconfirmed rumor.

Apple Computer recently bought out Astarte, who made DVDcreator software. It is being rumored on some boards I read that deal with DVD creation that Apple is very close to debuting a low cost bundle consisting of a DVD-R and DVD creation software, possibly as early as Macworld SF next week. Pioneer is definitely working on lower priced recorders, and I have seen price estimates everywhere from $2500 all the way down to $600.

If Apple cound make true DVD-R an affordable option, they would sell lots of computers.

Of course, in a few years, single layer DVD-R will be commonplace, but waiting for it to happen can be even harder than shelling out the $4600 for a recorder now.

J