Confused about iTunes file size

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-02-09, 01:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

I created a playlist of 50 songs. Total play time is 3.7 hours and file size is 300.7 MB, according to iTunes.

I wanted to burn that into a CD for my car, using a disc with 700 MB capacity (it says 80 min of music). I thought that I should be able to fit the entire playlist onto one disc given its capacity, but instead it was divided into 3 discs.

"My Computer" doesn't read available and free space. Why does the file size seem to grow when burned into a disc, or why does it go by a playtime limit? I used standard (default) audio settings.
Old 10-02-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Confused about iTunes file size

If you burn the CD as an audio disc, you can only burn between 74 and 80 minutes of music, depending of the disc's capacity. If you burn the CD as a data CD, then you can put 700 mb of mp3 files.
Old 10-02-09, 01:33 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
If you burn the CD as an audio disc, you can only burn between 74 and 80 minutes of music, depending of the disc's capacity.
But why? I thought capacity was the determinant, not time?

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
If you burn the CD as a data CD, then you can put 700 mb of mp3 files.
Some of the songs are not mp3, and I didn't want to convert, so audio was easier.
Old 10-02-09, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you burn an audio disc, the mp3 files are being converted (in the background) into a file that can be read by standard CD players. Those mp3 files are actually taking up a heck of a lot more space now that they have been converted into a format playable in a standard CD player.

My knowledge on the specific formats that CD players read is pretty limited, but this Wikipedia article has some information about the CD-DA standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_Digital_Audio

Now if you have a player capable of reading an mp3 disc (a CD burned with the compressed mp3 files) you can burn a straight up mp3 CD and play it.
Old 10-02-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, they're being decompressed into PCM. Although, that doesn't mean they sound as good as the original CD, because some information was lost in the compression to AAC or MP3 and can't just be recovered. If it was lossless compression like FLAC or Apple Lossless (I imagine iTunes would use the latter), then it could be converted back to PCM with no quality lost from the original rip. However, lossless files take up more space of course.
Old 10-02-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your car play .aac files on a CD-R?

My car's radio is supposed to play unprotected .aac files but for some reason it doesn't recognize them.
Old 10-03-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, PCM audio files are far bigger than mp3 format. That was the draw of mp3, being able to do entire cds in less than a tenth of the size. The cd player in your car unless an mp3 player reads from the cd as the pcm wav files.
Old 10-03-09, 02:53 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for all the inputs. Half the songs are in AAC and the rest are in MP3, so I'd have to convert them to MP3 in order to fit them on the disc, which I'd rather not do. The car audio does play MP3 but not AAC.

That's OK. I'll just go with 3 discs. I was just curious why it filled up the discs faster than I was expecting.
Old 10-04-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Create mp3 versions of the aac songs, burn to disc. Delete the mp3 versions, leaving the original aac songs in your library.
Old 10-06-09, 04:01 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Create mp3 versions of the aac songs, burn to disc. Delete the mp3 versions, leaving the original aac songs in your library.
Exactly!

Just to clarify, when you convert an AAC file to MP3 you still retain the original AAC file. You essentially end up with two copies of the same song in iTunes. I do this to make MP3 cds. I then delete the unwanted MP3 version when I no longer need it.