Interesting P4 POS article

Old 12-30-00, 01:15 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.emulators.com/pentium4.htm
Old 12-30-00, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice ... well, not nice ... but nice in that my P4 system is packed and ready to go back.
Old 12-30-00, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That article was very biased and a bit extreme. I could point out specifics, but I would picking apart every other line Just understand this is an extreme point of view.
Old 12-30-00, 11:59 AM

I actually got done reading this article not too long ago. A friend of mine sent me the link. You'd think the author was pimpin' AMD Athlons or something

Granted Intel has chopped and hacked away at the P4 making it an "inferior" cpu, though potential exists, provided they add the features they cut. Fortunately I'm still happy with my PIII and PII for what I use them for. I'm not running any "mega" stuff so it matters not to me.

As for Athlons I have heard mixed opinions. Does anyone have anything positive/negative to say about the Athlons? I'm debating one for a future box I may throw together down the road.

------------------
---------
Boy..., you know I gotta weight problem, I can't wait to eat!
---------

Land of Taliboubou
Old 12-30-00, 06:38 PM
Needs to provide a working email

quote:<HR>Originally posted by taliboubou:

Granted Intel has chopped and hacked away at the P4 making it an "inferior" cpu, though potential exists, provided they add the features they cut. Fortunately I'm still happy with my PIII and PII for what I use them for. I'm not running any "mega" stuff so it matters not to me.

As for Athlons I have heard mixed opinions. Does anyone have anything positive/negative to say about the Athlons? I'm debating one for a future box I may throw together down the road.

<HR>

Adding back the features that they cut wouldn't be a minor undertaking-- it would probably take at least a couple of years to get that on the streets. As for the Athlons, I'm most likely to buy one of those as my next chip. I don't much care if it's slightly faster or slower than an Intel chip-- I'm looking at the bang for the buck, not the bang period. And anything available today would be faster than my K6-2 400 MHz. A Celeron, a Duron, Athlon, whatever. The only thing my K6-2 400 MHz can compete with, possibly, is a Pentium IV. :-)
Old 12-30-00, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It seems the backlash against the P4 has gone a little overboard. The chip has some really nifty new technology, the problem is that most software won't catch up to it for a while yet. So, it's a bad buy now, but this time next year, we'll probably all be happily buying 2+ GHz P4's.

If you want to bag on Intel for really screwing the pooch on a chip, look at the Itanium project.