Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DSL vs. Cable Modem??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DSL vs. Cable Modem??

Old 12-28-00, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm considering signing up for either DSL or Broadband Cable and want to know which one of these is better. They both cost the same ($39.95/mo) but AT&[email protected] has a promotion of free installation and 6 mmos for $19.95. Are there any other deals out there I should know about before I sign up? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Old 12-28-00, 11:17 AM

DSL service comes in different flavors. Which package are you looking at?
I'd favor DSL more as cable isn't a dedicated service as you will be sharing bandwidth.
Old 12-28-00, 11:25 AM

I'd probably be looking at Speedpath 768 provided by Ameritech. This service costs $39.95/mo and installation is $150. The only problem I have with Ameritech's DSL package is that you have to sign a contract for a year. Is this package worth the $$?
Old 12-28-00, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DSL vs CABLE

Is not enough information. Give us guarenteed minimum bandwidth and cost details.

DSL can be a faster service, but not always.

Cable speed is subject to other users on your node.

I have had cable for a year now and rarely drop below T1 speed (1.5Mbps) for downloads and usually hit 256K for uploads. For $39.95 per month, and some OK technical support. Comcast @ home also does daily billing, so if your service is out for one day you can call and complain and they will credit you for that day (this has happend to me a handful of times this year) I have friends on all the above and they ALL have had problems. Seems like the DSl ones have had more (but there is NO logic/facts behind that statement, just me thinking of all the b*tching I heard from my friends).

Both connections have their Pros and Cons, both are subject to problems. I would go with the highest bandwidth for the money.

Also you have to look at what you want to do. Do you need a static IP address? Is there an extra charge, is it even possible?

Any free web space included? Do you care?
Old 12-30-00, 02:47 AM

I have been using @home service for about 2 years and I've been happy with them....they provide ok service and they are willing to go out and fix your cable modem if you have any problems with it...also cable provides a static ip addressing and my speed has always been above 1.2mbps (that's 150 kbyte/sec for computer engineer majors out there)..so it's really fast..but my cap is 128kbps up which sux...I've also have considered DSL, but the speed is not the same as my cable modem and I hate dynamic addressing!! the only thing is that it's hard for me to host anything because of the cap!!
Old 12-30-00, 11:37 AM

Thanks for everyone's suggestions but I called and both cable and DSL are NOT available in my area yet . This was just AT&T and Ameritech, I could still try Telocity. Does anyone use Telocity? How's their service and comnnection speeds?

[This message has been edited by Venus (edited December 30, 2000).]
Old 12-30-00, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would never be the first to rely on new technology, but if you are really desperate for high speed internet service check this out.

http://www.starband.com
Old 12-30-00, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Venus:
Does anyone use Telocity? How's their service and comnnection speeds?

<HR>

I am still waiting for my DSL connection to become active. From what I know.....Telocity is great in the longrun.....its just a complete nightmare in the beginning. Multiple people coming to your house.....no one on the phone having a solid answer for you. I ordered mine with Telocity about 3 months ago. The lines are all set, but my modem can transmit but not receive. This is all on their end I am told. I was also told that I would have service this week. After calling yesterday I was told that I would now have service after the 1st. From what I have heard through friends, Telocity is good....just prepare yourself for lots of frustration in the beginning.

------------------
TaTTooD's DVD Collection
TaTTooD's CD Collection
2000 OAKLAND RAIDERS - Super Bowl Champions