Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

A Winsock question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A Winsock question.

Old 12-29-00, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This problem is in a windows 98 environment.

I have run into this a few times at the computer store where I work. The problem is: Some how the winsock gets corrupted or deleted and the person can no longer use the internet. The system will connect fine, but it won't allow them to access a thing after the connection (It's like a wall is blocking their computer from the net or email). Microsoft's solution to this is to reinstall windows and that is supposed to restore the winsock, but I have tried that each of the 5 times it has come my way and of course that doesn't work. Eventually, I have to format and reload their system.

Well, my question is, does anyone here know how to fix this problem.

I had a customer/friend that was infected with the PWsteal trojan and stupid Mcafee suggested that she should delete the infected file which happened to be the winsock driver. And I might add didn't get rid of the trojan. So, she is stuck with a busted pc.

The trojan is easy to remove if you know how to use dos.

Anyway, I appreciate any help you guys/girls can give me.

Thanks
Old 12-30-00, 12:36 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There's a winsock.dll (might be winsock3.dll or something like that) in the \windows\system directory (I think -- from memory -- I don't often touch Windows 98). The installation of a program can overwrite that file with a wrong version from a different operating system. I've done it by creating a bad software install before. It's hard to figure out because you can login and do a few things, but you can't use a browser. It just acts screwy.

You can find the correct winsock file from the operating system CD or you can remove and reinstall networking to fix it (not the easiest way). I found the original in a \backup directory that my software put copies of overwritten files in. Maybe run a find files for winsock*.* and see what shows up.

Good luck.
Old 12-30-00, 01:17 AM

Yeah, it was 3 winsock dll's that were deleted and I had to copy them from another computer with (what I thought was the same os), but I guess not. Actually she is running WIN95 Ver.B. She lost her cd, so that rules out using the files from her disk. I also tried it form a disk that was of the same type. Windows just sucks so bad!
Old 12-30-00, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

windows 98, use SFC to extract the file.