Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Survived Win98SE upgrade...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Survived Win98SE upgrade...

Old 12-29-00, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, took the plunge and upgraded to Win98SE. It wasn't exactly painless because for some odd reason, the installation started with scandisk, which wasn't able to get through scanning much of my hard disk and complained that I didn't have enough conventional memory (I had 595k of conventional memory according to "mem"). So I had to boot from a Win98 floppy to get the CD-ROM support and load the Win98SE setup from the DOS prompt.

The setup program ran scandisk again, and it seems I have one bad block on my C: partition, which might have happened when I mucking around with my new CPU trying to overclock it a few weeks ago. Under scandisk it's been marked with a nice big scarlet "B" for bad. Should I be worried about this one bad block on my hard drive? Should I send it in for warranty replacement?

The rest of the Win98SE install went okay, but I had to re-add back my mouse hardware in the control panel because it didn't show up in my device manager list and every time I booted it'd load my mouse's driver and I'd be stuck in a loop if I didn't manually add the mouse in the control panel. I have a DrDos 4-way scroll mouse that allows me to scroll up and down, as well as side to side. I'm not quite sure if my CD burner is working, may have to re-install the Adaptec software for it.

Next up is my new ATI AIW Radeon video card.

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 12-29-00, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Patman:
The setup program ran scandisk again, and it seems I have one bad block on my C: partition, .............. Should I be worried about this one bad block on my hard drive? Should I send it in for warranty replacement?

<HR>

Patman,

An IDE hard drive should NEVER show errors, this is bad and usually will lead to more bad blocks in the future.

If the drive is a Maxtor, download their diag software and run the 'WRITE TEST' this is a sort of low level formatter program that should fix your error. Run scandisk a few times after ghost the drive back with all your data and make sure it doesn't come back up.

If the 'write test' does not fix it, send it in.

If you have a drive brand other than maxtor, let me know, most have utilities like this available.

Old 12-29-00, 01:15 PM

Know of any utilities like that for a Quantum hd? I've checked their site and I can only find hd diagnostic tools.

thanx
Old 12-29-00, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jleon:
Know of any utilities like that for a Quantum hd? I've checked their site and I can only find hd diagnostic tools.

thanx
<HR>

Quantum calls it 'Data Eraser' it is basically a low level formatter

http://www.quantum.com/support/csr/s...r_software.htm

should recover minor drive errors.
Old 12-29-00, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, will have to do some more HD gymnastics to move the data around (I hope to just ghost the c: partition to my old 13GB HD, and then ghost it back. But if I can't do that, and need to off load some "files" to get under the 13GB total, than I'll do that.

BTW, is it normal for Win98SE to run "cooler" than Win98? I've noticed that my CPU temp is now 34-37 C, about 3-5 C less than before. It's right near MB temps now!

------------------
Old 12-29-00, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Patman:
Okay, will have to do some more HD gymnastics to move the data around (I hope to just ghost the c: partition to my old 13GB HD, and then ghost it back. But if I can't do that, and need to off load some "files" to get under the 13GB total, than I'll do that.
<HR>

Ghost compression works great, don't be afraid to use it. Ghost to image file with compression on full and you will gain at least 30% on drive space.

quote:<HR>
BTW, is it normal for Win98SE to run "cooler" than Win98? I've noticed that my CPU temp is now 34-37 C, about 3-5 C less than before. It's right near MB temps now!

<HR>

You got me I avoid 98 at all costs and never experiment with it (what's the point, I know it sucks )

I could see where it is technically possible for OS code to drop the temp, so maybe.
Old 12-29-00, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, for a home PC and if you are into gaming, the only choice is Win98SE

By the way, my CPU temp is 38 (with a chrome ORB) and MB is at 36. Patman, are you sure you don't keep your PC in the fridge?

Oh, and get the latest 7041 drivers for your Radeon.
Old 12-29-00, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I forgot... I had 2 Maxtor drives in RAID 0 and went thru 2 weeks of corrupt files at startup, reinstalls, etc... All problems went away when I took the drives back and exchanged them for 2 WD drives.
Old 12-29-00, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by eXcentris:
Well, for a home PC and if you are into gaming, the only choice is Win98SE

By the way, my CPU temp is 38 (with a chrome ORB) and MB is at 36. Patman, are you sure you don't keep your PC in the fridge?
<HR>

Yeah, I need Win98 for extranet access for now. My MB temp bounces around 31-33 C with the right side door off, and I leave it off for the most part. I'm only using a Golden Orb and 4 extra fans for air flow. I may take 2 of them out and see if the temp stays the same or goes up.

------------------
Old 12-29-00, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I get 37C on the processor with stock fan, 31C on the motherboard, fully sealed with no case fans (just the power supply fan). Temps pick up a bit with full blown 3D gaming though, as expected.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?