Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Microsoft Security Essentials - Released Today

Old 09-29-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Microsoft Security Essentials - Released Today

Microsoft's Free Antivirus "Microsoft Security Essentials" was released today

About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.

Microsoft Security Essentials is a free* download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.

Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_essentials/
Old 09-29-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Microsoft Security Essentials - Released Today

I think it's only a 4 MB download. Might give that a shot. But how often do they update definitions?
Old 09-29-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never tried the Beta so I don't know, just installed it today so I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 09-29-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

The ars technica review was pretty positive:

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/new...-impresses.ars
Old 09-29-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

I used the beta, which worked without issue, on a Vista SP2 64-bit machine.

The virus definitions always appeared to be up to date whenever I checked.
Old 09-29-09, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

I had an XP system that just got nailed with a drive-by download/fake AV scanner Trojan just about a week ago. Even after I removed the obvious unwanted application, something was still hijacking Google searches, etc. and the up-to-date Avira Antivir install on the box was not finding it.

I just scanned that box with MSE and it looks like it nailed the malware (a Win32/Alureon variant). The symptoms are gone. I will probably re-image that box anyway to be safe but I am impressed with the detection.
Old 09-29-09, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet, been waiting this to be released. I'm sure a few people will sweep in to the thread and bash Microsoft, but this has been well reviewed since beta.
Old 09-29-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I'm sure a few people will sweep in to the thread and bash Microsoft, but this has been well reviewed since beta.
[requisite MS bash]Of course, nobody would need MSE if Microsoft didn't make their software so buggy of full of security holes in the first place[/requisite MS bash]

Seriously though, it's nice that MS decided to revamp their OneCare AV and essentially offer it for free. I'm cautiously optimistic. However, I remember when Windows Defender was in beta and initially released, it was a very effective anti-malware program. However, MS never kept on top of that program, and it is a bit of a laughingstock nowadays in terms of security. Hopefully MS keeps on top of MSE and keeps developing it so that it stays a viable option for anti-malware.
Old 09-29-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looks good to me, but is probably overkill with my corporate Symantec antivirus. Seems to work fine with other anti-virus programs, I will give it a shot.
Old 09-29-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 461 Likes on 332 Posts

i'm gonna check it out. use avg and it's slowing my system down a bit.
Old 09-29-09, 10:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed this. I didn't like that it turned on Windows Automatic Update and apparently runs it when you update the virus definitions. It also calls out to MS when running a scan. And it throws up a big ugly icon in the task bar if you turn off real-time protection. I'll pass until I can configure it the way I want.
Old 09-30-09, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Correction; download file size is 8.5 MB.

Installed it, did a full scan and was clean. One thing I noticed is that it scanned more files than usual, I think, because it also scanned (or counted) all the files in the compressed files (cabs, sfx-exe, etc). Not sure if I would recommend it - too early to say - but i think it's worth giving it a try if you don't have an AV.
Old 09-30-09, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The XP download is 8.5MB the Vista and Win7 downloads are both around 4MB.

I hate that MS uses Windows Updates to update this stuff. I don't have WU set to automatic, I like to review updates before install, and I'm already sick of Defender definition updates (which, FYI, has never detected anything). It looks like these will be even more frequent.

I'm using Avast and am happy with it, but I might recommend this to people looking for free A/V because it's so easy to get, install and use.