Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Dell P4 system = utter $#!&

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dell P4 system = utter $#!&

Old 12-29-00, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cannot possibly express my disgust with the pile of crap that dell shipped to my father under the guise of a quality pentium4 system. I'm so pissed and disenheartened right now ... almost enough so to say #$^@ building my own new system and stick with this workhorse i've got right now. Ughh ... time to spend 5 hours on hold to get a RMA #.

-Pete

PS: maybe when i calm down a little, i'll go into the details
Old 12-29-00, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BigPete:

PS: maybe when i calm down a little, i'll go into the details
<HR>

Please do. I am surprised to hear all the bad comments about Dell's retail enduser side. Their corporate side is fantastic.

but, you should have known not buy a p4 from anywhere right now.

Old 12-29-00, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

(Just as a baseline, any comaprisons i make about general quality are against my current dell system - i bought it 4 years ago)

I guess i'll just start with the case, that's the most glaring error. To my understanding, all of their high-end home systems have now been redesigned black and silver with a case that would embarass HP. Seriously, it's the flimsiest case i have ever seen ... and just plain old ugly. I could understand something like this on a $600 system for the PC novice, but a top of the line job? NEVER ... (it's not just colored ... i can deal with color, but hideously 'aerodynamic').

The DVD-Rom drive is soooo crooked ... i haven't opened the case yet so I can still maintain returnability, but apparently installing screws to hold a drive in place is against their policy now. Either that, or the internal rail system is seriously screwed up.

The power button ... you can't power the system off unless it lets you. How the hell is it going to let you if it's frozen solid on a hard crash (total system lockup - zero response from even the dvd tray mechanism - but screen remains fully detailed)? No reset button, either ... it's been replaced with a dell e-service button so they can pat themselves on the back and open up proprietary software. Oh, and the power button gets stuck inside the case unless you approcah it from dead on ... seriously, you practically have to sight down a pencil for it to not get caught.

The monitor is sony's fault, i guess. It's a top of the line 17" (as opposed to the crappy 19") but it's got nothing on my cheap-ass NEC ... seriously, the power button is sooo flimsy and offset ... grrrr ... and it takes like 40 seconds to warm back up after a WARM REBOOT!!! (and a cold boot results in a hideous pop).

I've never used Win ME before (only win 2000) but i don't imagine that a 4+ min boot is normal. If it is, let me know ... i'll stick with 2000.

And they install soo much ******** nowadays ... whatever happened to windows, office, antivirus and a few drivers? Instead, there is so much "DELL this, DELL that" crap that doesn't do anything plus a full install of aol and MSN that all boot up until you get around to disabling and uninstalling them (which results in a crash and a 'dell system restore' every f'n time). The standbye button on the keyboard (which is junk) hardlocks the system .... it looks like an e-machine or something ... an ad on every screen.

I can't believe the amount of hard-drive thrashing going on ... my Ppro 200 boots office 2k quieter and faster on win95.

ggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 12-29-00, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"I could understand something like this on a $600 system for the PC novice, but a top of the line job? "

Wow, what model is this? Dell's top of the line is a Precision Workstation and is usually a very nice machine. Dell's bottom of the line is the Dimension, and well, you get what you pay for.

I use nothing but the Optiplex (middle line or business line, above dimension below Prec workstation) line with the 21" Trinitron monitors (must have a 1000+ of these) and the build quality of the ones we bought 3 days ago is as good as the ones we bought a year ago.

I have never used Win ME (I am an NT/2000 fan myself) couldn't tell you.

Isn't the power off part of the new ATX standard?

I ALWAYS format the hard drive and load my own OS and software, no matter whos machine I purchase. This is a must in today's world.

If you really have all that wrong with it, return it and buy from someone else. I have heard really good things about www.alienware.com check them out, more geared to the homeowner/enduser customer.
Old 12-29-00, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Forgive me ... when i said 'top of the line' i was referring to only models available from the 'home' portion of their site. When i bought my Dimension 4 years ago, it was the equivalent of their best workstation (with the addition of soundcard and such) and i assumed the same would be true today.

Perhaps my expectations are just too high ... i'm use to lean machines without all of this crap ... but i'm nowhere near the level of you with the patince to do a clean install on a new system.

And yes, this was a home system that probably won't do more than play solitaire or check email 300 days of the year. It's probably good enough for the basic home user user or the kid heading to college ... i guess i just expected more from them after how well my previous system faired.

Yeah, it's going back ... not sure if it'll be replaced or if the notion of a new system will just be abandned for another 6 months.