Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Sick of this WinModem. Any good internal ones to mention? Plus a modem question!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sick of this WinModem. Any good internal ones to mention? Plus a modem question!

Old 12-27-00, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header says it all really.

I want to replace my current modem with a decent relatively inexpensive internal PCI one.

I have always been confused on this one point. If I have a good sound card (SB Live) do I have to have a modem with voice capabilities to use my video phone etc.?

Thanks,

C. Ryan

Old 12-27-00, 02:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've always liked US Robotics modems. Not sure about the voice thing though. Although I have a USR with voice capabilities (I thought they all came with it) I've never used it.
Old 12-27-00, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Winmodems really sucked. They were one of those that relied on your CPU to do all the signal processing and the drivers often caused problems with other devices. All the other USR (now 3Com) modems were pretty decent. I really liked their Courier units.

Anyway, when picking your modem, just look for one that isn't host processor based. As for videophones, the ones I've played with used the sound card. It's best if your soundcard has full-duplex enabled.
Old 12-28-00, 12:19 PM

If you're having problems with a cheap modem, and want to eliminate the problems, spend the extra money ($70-$100) on a regular US Robotics/3Com modem. Yes, they make the 'winmodem' but that's not indicative of the quality and reliability of their other products.

If you want to try another cheap modem, try a Supra (now sold under Diamond Multimedia). I've seen them on sale at Best Buy for under $30.

[This message has been edited by MichaelBlanton (edited December 28, 2000).]