Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Lokking for a new (to me) MP3 encoding solution.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Lokking for a new (to me) MP3 encoding solution.

Old 12-26-00, 11:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been using AudioCatalyst for a while and never had any problems and don't find the quality to be bad like people say it is. However, I recently formatted my machine and when I isntalled it this time (same installer) it seems to do wierd stuff with VBR encoding. When I play new VBR MP3s in WinAmp, towards the end of the song the progress slider goes wacky (stayas at the end for a while then moves backward a little) and the time is incorrect. I also found out that that is the program that keeps turning disconnect off on my DVD drive (need it on for copying CDs).

Here's what I'm looking for.
* Abillity to encode directly from CD to MP3. (My DVD drive is excellent at DAE so I don't need to worry about that end of it too much.)

* Fast encoding (preferably 3.5X or faster). That's the thing I really liked about AC. I have plans of changing all my CDs over to MP3, burning them onto CD, and using them in my car MP3 CD player (That way I'll have my entire music collection in my car). With a slow encoder this will take too long to be a reasonable goal.

* CDDB and tagging (v1 tags a must)

* VBR encoding.

I'd like everything in one package, not several programs that do little peices of the step. It can be for any of the OSs I have installed: Win98, Win2k(soon to be installed), Linux, or BeOS.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-26-00, 11:58 AM
Mod Emeritus

Forgot to mention a couple things.

I have a Celeron 466 w/ 128MB (might need to know this for speed considerations).

Audio Catalyst is ripping at a little higher than 5X on my setup when using the dynamic sync width setting on my Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD drive.

------------------
Old 12-26-00, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jason,

I think the website is down right now, but AudioActive production studio is the best thing going.

http://www.audioactive.com/

It should be everything you are asking for and more. But LAME is worth the hassle of a 2 step process.
Old 12-26-00, 01:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Jason,

I think the website is down right now, but AudioActive production studio is the best thing going.

http://www.audioactive.com/

It should be everything you are asking for and more. But LAME is worth the hassle of a 2 step process.
<HR>

The site wasn't down when I checked. It looks like it would be a good possibillity but there are some things that completely rule out Production Studio as a possibillity. The regular version costs $35 but only goes up to 128kbps. The Pro version wouldn't be a bad idea but costs $150. I'm not really looking to spend money on what I'm looking for, but if I had to I'd spend ~$30. Also, niether version seemed to encode VBR MP3s.

As far as the two step process goes, it takes extra time and effort to get the job done. With 200+ CDs that really adds up when you just want to get the job done.

------------------
Old 12-26-00, 01:24 PM

Maybe you might want to try Cutezip. It has all of the thing you are looking for(Maybe not the VBR). But it encodes for me at about 4.5 on average and has CDDB tagging. Plus it is extremely easy to use.

http://www.globalscape.com/products/cutezip/index.shtml

It is a shareware program, but when the time limit expires it continues to work.
Old 12-26-00, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Northrup:
The site wasn't down when I checked. It looks like it would be a good possibillity but there are some things that completely rule out Production Studio as a possibillity. The regular version costs $35 but only goes up to 128kbps. The Pro version wouldn't be a bad idea but costs $150. I'm not really looking to spend money on what I'm looking for, but if I had to I'd spend ~$30. Also, niether version seemed to encode VBR MP3s.

As far as the two step process goes, it takes extra time and effort to get the job done. With 200+ CDs that really adds up when you just want to get the job done.

<HR>

I was speaking of the pro version. Are you sure the pro does not do VBR? I will load it back up and check.

Moot point if it is out of your price range.

This is more geared to the 'golden ear' type than the save time and space type. I thought the money was the only downside, but who pays for software anyway?

I hate the program, but have you looked at Music Match Jukebox? http://www.musicmatch.com/

how about

real jukebox

http://www.real.com/jukebox/index.ht...1222realhome_1

Old 12-26-00, 03:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'll have to check out all those programs sometime this week. I'm still open to other suggestions, especially if anybody has some good Linux or BeOS solutions.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
...but who pays for software anyway?
<HR>

I'm not at liberty to say if I do or not.

------------------
Old 12-27-00, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Linux Solution:

Grip

It uses CD Paranoia for the ripper, which makes an exact digital copy. (not analog ripping)

You can choose your own encoder. I use Lame, at 192 but have been thinking of switching to VBR.

It also has CDDB lookup. I've been quite happy with it.

Ryan