Reload this Page >

Office Cabling Questions (Cat 6)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-24-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the process of wiring a small office for a computer network. The electrician will be pulling the cable, but I'm not sure exactly what I need to purchase. First there's the question of UTP Solid vs. UTP Stranded. Then there's the issue of CMG rated for all general in-wall use, CMR rated for all general in-wall and riser use, or Plenum cable. Lastly, does it matter whether I go with 400MHz, 500MHz or 550MHz? Any tips would be appreciated.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 09-24-09 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Office Cabling Questions (Cat 6)

Here is a link with some info

http://plenumsource.com/content/guidetocableratings

Do you actually plan on using this for CAT 6 speeds and are you concerned with being able to go faster on this same wire in the future?

If this is in a commercial space, I always use Plenum cable, solid, in wall. That way you are safe with any fire codes that may apply.

The CAT 6 standard is only 250mhz, so you must be looking at something like 6a for a 500mhz rated cable. If the cost isn't much more, it may be worth getting the 500mhz rated for future use (if you care). If there is a large cost difference, then get the 400mhz, it is all you need to run at CAT 6 speeds.

Make sure all your patch panels, connectors and ports are all CAT 6 rated.

You also need to spec how the cable is terminated. I always use TIA/EIA-568-B (T568B), just stay consistent with the spec and it will work.

Rule of thumb, it costs about an average of $125 per drop. Ball park range from $100-$160 per drop depending.
Old 09-24-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Office Cabling Questions (Cat 6)

Thanks for the info. I was looking at the monoprice CAT 6 cable here. We don't really need the CAT 6 speed right now, but since the price of the cable/connectors/panels is not that much more these days I want to be able to take advantage of it down the road.

The prices you quoted for drops...is that still the price for the work while the walls are still open?

I'm not opposed to spending the extra couple hundred dollars on Plenum, but do we really need it if it's just running in the wall and above the drop ceiling on 1 floor?

Question: What are the difference between the various in-wall ratings? (CMG, CMR, CMP)
Answer: In-wall ratings have to do with the burn characteristics of cabling and have no direct effect on the functional performance of the cables.

CMG is for general in-wall use. It is equivalent to CL2 & CL3. It is for general commercial and residential in-wall installation applications.

CMR is riser rated cable. These are suitable for situation where cable is passed from one floor of a structure to another.

CMP is for Plenum and is the highest in-wall rating. Plenum cables are specifically designed to go into the Plenum areas of commercial building where air circulation systems are. Plenum cables are formulated so they do not produce toxic gases as they burn.

While it is okay to use a higher rated cable in lower level applications, you should not do it the other way around.

Last edited by broadwayblue; 09-24-09 at 11:07 PM.