Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help removing Freeatlast?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help removing Freeatlast?

Old 12-22-00, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dad installed Freeatlast.com and can't get it off his computer. Apparently he did remove the software in add/remove programs on the control panel, but every time he starts up IE he gets a Freeatlast screen that covers his desktop and says, "By clicking the button below, FreeAtLast will attempt to connect you to the Internet in order to complete the registration process."

Why does this continue to crop up if it was removed? I tried to go their web site but it no longer exists as I've heard they have since folded.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-22-00, 01:57 PM

Go to "Start," "Run," and type in "regedit," without the quotes.

Make sure "My Computer" is selected on the left side of the screen, then click on "edit," click on "Find" and type in "Freeatlast" without the quotes.

For every entry that the editor finds, delete it. After you delete each entry, press the F3 key to continue the search for more entires of Freeatlast. Continue this until the editor can find no addtional entries for Freeatlast

Also, check your start up group to make sure there is not an entry for Freeatlast. If there is delete it

You can also use the run command again and type in "sysedit" without the quotes and check win.ini to make sure that the "run=" block does not have Freeatlast listed. I think wiping all entries out in the registry will take care of cleaning all entries whereever they may be.

Be advised that messing with the registry can really mess up your computer if you delete something you shouldn't. To quote Microsoft, "When making changes to the registry, you should always back up the registry first."

Good luck.

P.S. Why post in this forum? I usually go to computer help forums when I need help with my computer.

[This message has been edited by djlevy (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old 12-22-00, 02:35 PM
Cool New Member

I would strongly recommend not doing what djlevy recommends; if you can't uninstall a piece of software, you have no business touching the registry. You can totally screw up your machine.
I would recommend contacting freeatlast tech support; if they have in fact folded, you can always reinstall Internet Explorer.
Old 12-22-00, 06:58 PM

Regarding jkolko's comment, while I agree that someone needs to know what they are doing if they mess around with the registry, removing and reinstalling explorer is not going to remove the registry entries that Freeatlast has made. I've been in the same exact situation with some other software, uninstalled it using the standard uninstall routine but left overs of the program still messed with another program, then removing and reinstalling the program that it was interferring with and that still didn't fix the problem...because there were still entries in the registry. The only fix to truely getting rid of the left overs from the offending program is to wipe it out of the registry. But, as I said, unless you really know what you are doing, you can mess up the registry and end up with Windows not booting...hence the recommendation to backup the registry before messing with it.

Old 12-25-00, 03:31 PM

Well, the reason I posted here is because I know there is a free ISP thread and figured it was as good as any place to post with people who may be familiar with it.

I'm quite capable of removing applications. Trying to talk my 59 y.o. father into doing it properly over the phone isn't so easy. I'm going up there tonight for dinner so I'm going to see what I can figure out then.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-25-00, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd also suggest buying an uninstaller. I did and it is some of the best money I ever spent.
Old 12-25-00, 09:42 PM

Go to www.Mcafee.com, they have a great uninstaller, application remover. I think they have a 14 day free trial too.

[This message has been edited by ugotcarrie (edited December 25, 2000).]
Old 12-26-00, 12:34 AM

So your Dad is 59. Well, I'm a Dad and a Granddad and age has nothing to do with computer savy. I'm 57 and can figure out most everything about a computer...on my 4th one over the last 10 years. Just reformated my hard drive twice over the last 2 days, reinstalled Windows ME and all the drivers, software, etc., and my data files that I had backed up on a tape drive (...althought I can't stand ME so I had first installed Win 2000 Pro but had too many devices which were not compatable so reformatted again and reinstalled [again] ME).

Anyway, hope you got rid of the left overs from that program.

Old 12-26-00, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djlevy:
So your Dad is 59. Well, I'm a Dad and a Granddad and age has nothing to do with computer savy. I'm 57 and can figure out most everything about a computer...on my 4th one over the last 10 years. Just reformated my hard drive twice over the last 2 days, reinstalled Windows ME and all the drivers, software, etc., and my data files that I had backed up on a tape drive (...althought I can't stand ME so I had first installed Win 2000 Pro but had too many devices which were not compatable so reformatted again and reinstalled [again] ME).

<HR>

RIGHT ON MAN!!!

Registry editing is tricky, but if you do what he says and delet the stuff and only the stuff it should work.

IF you don't feel comfortable you can always remformat the whole thing. Just make sure you back-up all the neccessary documents. i.e
.jpeg,.bmp., .gif lmao

------------------
Most People Don'T Plan To Fail, They Just Fail to Plan
The Other Forum Festivus Hoard!
ConeheadBuddha Rules
Old 12-26-00, 12:31 PM

you can safely make registry changes if you just back it up first. after going into regedit, click on my computer, then go to the registry menu up top, click on export registry. in the "save in" list, choose desktop, and in the "name" field, just put in something like registry backup. Then click save. Go ahead and try searching as someone suggested above (no need to repeat it all). Should something go wrong or you delete something you didnt want to, just go back to the desktop and double click the backup file.
Old 12-26-00, 06:28 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by djlevy:

<HR>

Oops, sorry! I meant no offense. I just wanted to be clear that I wasn't some little kid trying to fix my Dad's computer. And, no, my Dad's not that computer savvy.
Old 12-27-00, 01:19 PM
Registered

Moving to PC Hardware Forum.

Geoff