Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laptops

Old 12-25-00, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone recommend a laptop, there is soooo many to choose from and everyone has its faults. Willing to spend around 2000.00. Iam looking for about a 500/64mb and of course a DVDROM. I won't be using it for work or school, just to tool around with when on the road. All opinions and recommendations appreciated.

[This message has been edited by titanic12 (edited December 24, 2000).]
Old 12-25-00, 03:25 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know some others here may disagree (they like Toshiba), but I am helping a friend pick out an IBM ThinkPad A21m with 700MHz PIII, 64MB + free extra 64MB, DVD, 14.1" TFT screen, and 10GB hard drive for about $2100.

There's a Citibank credit card 8% discount off of that price. I have an older model and I am very happy with it.
Old 12-26-00, 01:58 AM

IBM is one Iam looking at, I will check out that model. I have heard on the older models they had problems(4-5yrs). Still thinking.................
Old 12-26-00, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
I know some others here may disagree (they like Toshiba)
<HR>

HI -

I like Toshiba for many reasons. My local Toshiba repair shop does 4 hour turn around on ANY repair (meaning they have parts on the shelf for models 5 years old).

Toshiba has the best built quality from the inside out. Highest quality electronic components on the inside. Best design for durability. I own a toshiba sat pro and I will drop it from waist height just to see the looks on peoples faces I DARE AN IBM OWNER TO DO THAT (X- ?)

The screens look fantastic (but honestly so do IBM's, other brands do not). Toshiba is usually pretty up to date on drivers and BIOS updates and other compatability issues. With windows NT I had lots of problems with some of IBMs proprietary crapola working properly (read: drivers and support sucked)

What can I say, I have had most of them apart (not the newest IBM models) and the Toshiba has the best look from the inside out. IBM tends to cut more corners. Don't get me wrong, IBMs are not bad they are just not my first choice. You could do MUCH MUCH worse in a laptop (IBM is in my top 3).

Here are some models, you shop for price.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...am=Satellite+P ro&aoid=1073768060&poid=1073764759&action=none

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/pd/pd_pt_prod.jsp?
[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=laljjffmkefbfdkchmcfgkcgi.0&comm=HO
&plin=Portables&pfam=Tecra&aoid=
1073768006&poid=1073764744&action=none

(edited to preserve forum formatting -Blade)

[This message has been edited by Blade (edited January 23, 2001).]
Old 12-26-00, 01:29 PM
X
Administrator

Just to add my rebuttal to the rebuttal, I'm running an IBM i-series consumer model that even IBM says runs only Win98 and below, not NT4. They supply no NT drivers or any other support for NT on this model.

I got NT4 and Win2000 to run very well by installing and testing IBM's freely available NT drivers for their other models. It must have taken me 3 to 4 hours to do this and it was actually quite easy to get support for every feature (LAN, modem, sound, internal/external screen, DVD, S-video out to TV), except for sleep mode which is not well supported in NT anyway. The almost 4 hour battery life without any power-savings modes is amazing. Windows 2000 installed, worked beautifully and did support power-savings modes. I've been running NT4 on this model for over a year with absolutely no problems.

As for dropping the notebook, no I wouldn't do that to any notebook. It reminds me of a time that I was arguing with a proponent of the old 10MB Iomega Bernoulli Box. He loved the cartridges because they were "indestructible" and I was arguing to convert the company over to those "newfangled" 20MB 5.25" hard drives that cost less than half as much. Well, he showed me his practiced test of dropping the Bernoulli cartridge from waist high but this time it shattered. It was great! The company converted to 20MB hard drives soon thereafter, saved tons of money, and never looked back.

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-00, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

X - I could even get a few of the IBM thinkpuds (not a typo) to work properly, so one does not impress me )

lets just say many would not run smooth. Says something about quality control in my mind. WHo is making the IBM laptops now days??

I will drop my toshiba, not on the screen, but I will drop mine. I have done it quite a few times by accident I do not recommend most folks try this either, but it is nice to know odds of survival are high when that accident happens.

Like I said, you could do worse.

I will give IBM high credit on repair time if you send it to them directly, which usually takes 2 to 3 days (including overnight shipping time both ways), but is VERY consistant.

Old 12-26-00, 02:10 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
I will give IBM high credit on repair time if you send it to them directly, which usually takes 2 to 3 days (including overnight shipping time both ways), but is VERY consistant.
<HR>

Pretty funny -- damning with faint praise. Like "Firestone replaced their blown out tires quickly to anybody who survived the accident."

I must likewise commend Toshiba on their continued used of the IBM originated TrackPoint pointer device rather than the abominable touchpad so many manufacturers have adopted. One's preference in this area should be a major determinant in selection of a notebook if it is to be used on the road without an external mouse.
Old 12-26-00, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty funny -- damning with faint praise. Like "Firestone replaced their blown out tires quickly to anybody who survived the accident."

<HR>

Sorry it came across that way. It really was meant as a compliment. I have dealt with companies that really suck in this department. IBM has their laptop repair act together, I just meant it was not as good (for me) as Toshiba's.

If you read above I said I could get Toshiba's repaired in 4 hours on 'carry in service'. There is a reapair center about 15 minutes from my office (called Richard's Computers in Merrifield VA) these guys are the best. Drop it off in the AM and pick it up after lunch, no extra charge.

Being a step down from that, 2 day repair, consistantly, is outstanding. When you have several hundred of the same model laptop, it is only a matter of time before you must use their repair service. This is VERY important to me. UPTIME in general is very important to me, time = money. I say send it to IBM directly because many of their remote repair centers can not get parts in a timely manor, especially for a two year + old unit.
Old 12-26-00, 02:27 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Sorry it came across that way. It really was meant as a compliment.
<HR>

Nah, I was just giving you a bad time. I know that's important and rare when you're dealing with quantities of machines. Hell, it would be important to me with just my one IBM notebook -- if it ever had a problem!
Old 12-26-00, 04:23 PM

are HP laptops any good?

------------------
Kriegman easy to love hard to kill
Old 12-26-00, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by phantom_azazel:
are HP laptops any good?

<HR>

I have not had a lot of experience with them. I have never taken one apart.

I have used a couple here and there (only the Omnibook series) and they have NEVER given me any trouble, but I can't say on a large scale.

It looks like HP has beefed up their laptop support/repair recently (that was always my biggest concern with them, no local repair service).

Depending on price, I might give them a shot.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited December 26, 2000).]
Old 12-26-00, 05:23 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by phantom_azazel:
are HP laptops any good?
<HR>

I keep reading bad reviews on them. Bad battery life, bad performance, incompatibilities, and not worth the money. I wanted to consider them some time back, and keep checking the reviews, but nothing has said that they've improved and I can't think of any reason to get one. Too bad. They look good on paper.
Old 12-27-00, 01:18 AM

A little monkey wrench thrown in. Just Read PC World magazine. They rated the top 15 notebooks.Broken down into three catagories:Budget,midrange and power. Power #1 is Dell Inspiron 4000. Midrange #1 is HP Omnibook 6000. Budget #1 is Dell Inspiron 3800. Toshiba didn't even make it. IBM made #4 out of 5 in the power catagory. So......
Old 12-27-00, 01:51 AM
X
Administrator

Well, PC World is a publication I just seem to miss (on purpose) every year. But I thought I'd check it out since you mentioned it.

I see 2 IBMs, 2 Dells, and a Gateway as the "Power Notebooks"; 2 Acers, 1 Gateway, 1 Chembook, and 1 HP as "Midrange"; and 2 Dells, 1 Gateway, 1 Fujitsu, and 1 Compaq as "Budget".

Here's the URL if anyone wants to check it out: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...aid=36661&pg=1

Statements such as "Though it's no boombox, the A21p sounds fairly good for a notebook" don't help me much. The classic "Our test unit did not have DVD-ROM drivers, so we couldn't test the T20's DVD image quality" doesn't say much for their thoroughness. It's like giving the unit to your next-door neighbor to test!

I consider PC World to be the Consumer Reports of the computer world -- kind of a reference for people who are not in any part of the computer business and have no idea what's going on and need a place to start.

The features they care about are not the ones I care about, but many people may. Just as I check out Consumer Reports when I want to buy a new dishwasher. They get me started, but then I do my own research because my needs are different than theirs.<small>

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 27, 2000).]
Old 12-27-00, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I see 2 IBMs, 2 Dells, and a Gateway as the "Power Notebooks"; 2 Acers, 1 Gateway, 1 Chembook, and 1 HP as "Midrange"; and 2 Dells, 1 Gateway, 1 Fujitsu, and 1 Compaq as "Budget".

<HR>

X - you are too kind

Any report that shows ACER the top of anything is 100% BS in my book, second that for Fujitsu. Some brands are 100% crap and everyone knows it (except these guys). But hey, pay me some ad money and I would be more than happy to tell the world that Acer is good stuff (but then again I know I am a w_h_o_r_e)

Taking a step back, I would say this review is based off of nothing but 1 test unit and some advertising $$$$$$'s and was done by NON-Technical people. In other words WORTHLESS. I am not just saying that because Toshiba didn't make the list, they most likely didn't even get a Toshiba test unit to add to their lame review.

Thanks for the laugh