Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Setting up my Dual P3 system

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Setting up my Dual P3 system

Old 12-24-00, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting a new thread because the other one was getting a bit long!

I will most likely have a few questions as I go.

First one is this:

1. When installing W2k for the 1st time, it asked me if I wanted to format/partition the disk drives. I highlighted the c drive and pressed enter so that it is a logical DOS partition and used NFTS.

Okay, but I did not highlight the D drive. It shows it as unpartitioned and unformatted. How do I set it up in Windows?

2. I have some concern about the memory I have installed and need to determine if it's okay or not. The store has a no problem return policy if I bring it back right away. Is there some sort of mem test I should run?

3. What would the considerations be for loading crap back on these two drives as far as speed. Should I put all programs on one drive and data on the other?

Thanks!
Old 12-24-00, 12:47 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll give it a shot first.

1) Do the D: drive in Disk Administrator under W2K (at least that's the name in NT -- haven't got W2K up right now).

2) There are some memory tests around. How about setting your BIOS for not fast bootup or not skip memory test or whatever it's called on your MB? Reboot a few times. You run CAD, don't you? Run some of your big ones for a while -- try to fill up memory -- use task manager to see how much memory you've used.

3) I would put the OS on C:, swapfile on D: (you'll have to change the default under the system performance section), normal apps on C:, and data on D:.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 23, 2000).]
Old 12-24-00, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Follow the X - man

1) how to setup the d: here are some details 2000 is a bit different.

follow the menu (the long way)
start--->settings---->control panel----->administrative tools--->computer management---> Disk Management (under storage heading)

under disk management you will see your c: as a health partition and your d: as unformatted space. Highlight the unformatted space (with one left click) then right click and set a partition, then format it.

2) run CAD or Photoshop with LARGE data and open every app on your hard drive (with data loaded into the app) flip between them all like a madman for 16 hours. If it does not crash then you are fairly safe.

3) 'nuff said

I would also FIX the size of the swap file. If you have TONS of disk space make it double your ram size for both the minimum setting and the maximum setting (500mb), so it can not resize itself. There are more scientific ways to do this, but this is easy.
Old 12-24-00, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks! That advice worked perfectly. Now to load a bazillion apps until it's totally buggy.

I also need to load the device drivers. It does not recognize the Matrox or the DVD drive yet.
Old 12-24-00, 03:15 AM
X
Administrator

You might want to take a break and back it up to your CD-RW if it's installed and you can. I usually set up another minimal NT install that I can boot into and be able to copy the one I care about while it's not running.

It's funny you can't see the DVD drive. I never had to worry about drivers for an IDE one before. It is IDE, isn't it?
Old 12-24-00, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't recall having to install drivers specific to the Plextor drive. I'm guessing that the system identifies the drive when it posts but Win2K doesn't mount the drive? You might want to check the device manager to see if both IDE channels are enabled.
Old 12-24-00, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

randyc

Does the bios recognize the drive on boot? You know, before the OS starts to load?

If so then check to make sure device manager sees BOTH IDE CONTROLLERS.

Then you may have to go back into Disk Management (like you did to format drive d) and ASSIGN A DRIVE LETTER to the dvd drive. I have seen win2k recognize cd/dvd drives, but NOT automatically assign a drive letter to it (make sense?) so you have to manually assign the drive letter (again highlight the drive and give it a right click to get the assign letter option)
Old 12-24-00, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, more progress. The DVD drive was installed as an IDE slave, not a master (not me!!).

So it now recognizes both IDE devices. No problem. However, the DVD player software that comes with the drive "powerDVD" may not be exactly what I am looking for. For some reason, it gets confused by the two CD drives and dafaults to the wrong one. I have not investigated setting this up yet, but I wonder if you all would just dump this s/w and use something else?

More importantly, there is something really buggy going on with the system. If the system softboots from a software or front panel reset switch, when it reloads it does not recognize the keyboard or mouse. I can hit reset a number of times and the OS loads, but no mouse/kb. Also, it gives me a blank screen, and if I hit the spacebar on my kb, THEN it loads W2K..but I can't type a password in the next screen.

If I power it off and then on, everything seems to work perfectly.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-24-00, 02:54 PM
X
Administrator

Maybe try pulling the CD-ROM cable and reinstall PowerDVD so it has to recognize the DVD drive then add the CD-ROM back in. Or manually adjust in W2K the drive letters so the DVD is a lower letter than the CD-ROM.

I have had some strange things with my Northgate keyboard. My system won't dual boot until I hit a return to select the OS. Another keyboard worked ok, but I have to have my Northgate so I put up with it. Try changing the switch settings on the back of it. I hope you have the manual. The mouse and keyboard may be "connected", I'm not sure. But sometimes mouse drivers can screw up a keyboard due to the driver being the same.
Old 12-24-00, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trying now to hook it up to my network. Crossing my fingers.

I do have another problem. When playing system audio, or DVDs, I get sound fine, but I can't get any sound out of CDs. I have no clue as to why.
Old 12-24-00, 08:04 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by randyc:
I do have another problem. When playing system audio, or DVDs, I get sound fine, but I can't get any sound out of CDs. I have no clue as to why.
<HR>

Try Siren or the latest Windows Media Player if you don't have a cable running between your drive and sound card. Or if your drive and sound card allow a cable to run between them, hook it up. DVD and Windows sounds go through the bus.
Old 12-24-00, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

I did install the analog audio cable between the CD-ROM drive and the soundcard, but still not CD audio.

I also hooked up the LAN port to a Linksys 4 port hub. All seems to be working, but I have no idea how to configure W2K to hook to the other computers and the internet. Every step I have taken does not seem to be the right one.

So...who wants to fly out to San Diego? It's 76 degrees today.
Old 12-24-00, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Crap....

This is frustrating.

That is all. Just an update.

Crap...
Old 12-24-00, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My offer still stands, are you buying the ticket? My wife will be gone for a week and I am looking to go crazy for few days

Right click network neighborhood, select properties, right click lan connection, select properties, make sure tcpip is installed and properly setup for your connection.

If you are making a local LAN their in the house install netbeui on all machines. Yoiu can do this in the same steps listed above for win2k. the other thing to note is win2k uses user level security. You must log on to win2k with a username and password. This is true for all machines that want to even share files with win2k. make a user 'randyc' and make that user an admin equiv on win2k (if unsecure don't enter a password just leave it blank) Then log in as username randyc from all other computers with the same password and it will be easy.

Win2k also has built in admin level shares. You can go to any other machine on the network and map a drive to these shares. Example, your win2k is named 'home' you can map to \\home\c$ from any other box and see the entire c drive of the win2k machine.

btw- I prefer first class and have a limo at the airport to get me.
Old 12-24-00, 11:07 PM
X
Administrator

Hell, it's just a long drive for me. But I'm busy this week.
Old 12-24-00, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

One step closer. I managed to configure the TCIPCPPCPCPPC thingie...so that I now have two of my computers talking to each other, the third I think is the victim of a bad cable, but for right now, I will ignore that. Transferring that cable, transfers the problem.

So....I can access the 600p2 computer from the P3, but not the reverse. Trying to, it says only to enter a password, but not a user name. None of the assigned passwords work. Any clues?

I still can not access the internet from the P3 computer. I assume this is an issue with assigning an IP for the Linksys device, so I will continue to try to work this out.

At this rate, it would have been cheaper to fly someone out!
Old 12-24-00, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So....I can access the 600p2 computer from the P3, but not the reverse. Trying to, it says only to enter a password, but not a user name. None of the assigned passwords work. Any clues?
<HR>

It is the username. I assume the 600p2 is running windows 98 (or 95). If it is go into the windows directory and delete all files that end in .PWL. Reboot. when it comes up it will ask you for a name and password, enter name and password that are valid on the win2k box. confirm password, now try it

quote:<HR>

I still can not access the internet from the P3 computer. I assume this is an issue with assigning an IP for the Linksys device, so I will continue to try to work this out.
<HR>

that could be it

quote:<HR>
At this rate, it would have been cheaper to fly someone out!
<HR>

I offered

I always laugh really hard when people tell me how easy computer stuff is.

NEWSFLASH

It is only easy when everything works EXACTLY as planned

Which, surprisingly enough, is more often than not.

When it doesn't work exactly right, newbies are screwed (not that you are a newbie)

I have always liked this sign at the repair desk in my local bike store

(something like)

labor rates

$50/hour General Repair
$60/hour If you watch
$75/hour If you watch and ask questions
$100/hour If you worked on it first.

Randyc I do not want to make you feel bad, but once upon a time when I was just starting out in the business I was an assembly tech. In an 8 hour work day, I onced kicked out 36 machines from individual pieces to working DOS boxes (understand DOS took no time to load and hard drives were little, but man that was a lot of screws.) My boss took me out fro dinner and drinks after that day. If I recall it was around this time of year and machine sales were crazy.
Old 12-26-00, 03:52 AM

Randyc, did you get the sound fixed?

I installed a dvd into a system with a cd, and had problems with sound. I'm running windows ME, so it might be different, but I went into volume control(right click on the speaker in the tray)and had to make sure to uncheck the mute box on the cd audio input, and the cd digital input. It might work for you, thought I'd pass that along.
Old 12-26-00, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hey, I tried all those.

I get sound from DVDs and from system files. I also now get sound from CDs to the speakers. I just am getting no headphone outputs from the Soundblaster, though it does switch off the speakers when I plug in the headphones.

That and the boot problem will be solved at a later date. I have too much to do right now to deal with it.

I also have the system now working on the internet (I am typing on it!). And it's networked to my other PC. This is thru a simple hub, I still need to get the Linksys firewall/router to work.
Old 12-26-00, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, one other problem. The second 21" Viewsonic is shaking and looks crappy. I thought it was at first just the monitor, so I returned it for another from Amazon. Turns out that with the monitor on the floor (as I configured the system) it was fine, but moving it to the desk next to the other monitor and it shakes like the the returned monitor. Odd.

Old 12-26-00, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

randyc

monitors really should not be placed that close together. If they are like 2 or 3 inches away from each other they will interfere with each other.

Keep moving them away from each other and see if the problem doesn't go away.
Old 12-26-00, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

I am an idiot, and I owe Amazon an apology.

DUH

Had a flash of brilliance (very small one).

Turned off the florescent lighting on my desk/hutch. Monitor works perfectly!

Did I mention I was an idiot?
Old 12-26-00, 10:29 PM
X
Administrator

I am an idiot, and I owe Amazon an apology.
<HR>

Shhh, don't let Amazon hear you. Duh, that never happened to me! One of the beauties of doing business over the web. You won't have to face them when they test it during the return and the next time you want to buy something. If they hassle you that it worked ok when they got it back you can always blame UPS.

I hope you also turned off your Universal Pictures Frankenstein's Lab Van de Graf Spark Generator!