Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Upgrading to Win98 2nd edition (any pitfalls?)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Upgrading to Win98 2nd edition (any pitfalls?)

Old 12-22-00, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm upgrading from Win98 1st edition to 2nd edition. Anything I should do to avoid installation pitfalls?

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 12-22-00, 11:33 AM

No! I had absolutely no problems. Its basically a really big patch as opposed to a new OS like Windows 2000 or Windows ME.

[This message has been edited by SkolVikings (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old 12-22-00, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Should be a no brainer

One general comment I would make is UNINSTALL your antivirus software if you have any. Do not just disable it, then insall 98se, then reinstall the AV.

Good luck
Old 12-22-00, 12:38 PM

Technically, winME is just a huge patch over win98se. Not a major overhaul other than not being able to access DOS outside of windows.
Old 12-22-00, 04:15 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jleon:
Technically, winME is just a huge patch over win98se. Not a major overhaul other than not being able to access DOS outside of windows.
<HR>

WinME can be a patch because patches are supposed to make the OS better, not worse.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-22-00, 05:38 PM

I thought WinME was Microslop's attempt at moving away from the DOS kernel?? Hence a slightly different OS and not a "patch."

Shouldn't have too much of a problem going from 98 to 98SE provided you don't have a board with picky chipsets. Some cheapy boards have chipsets that go bonkers, especially for USB ports. If you have an ASUS or ABIT, (namebrand basically) you should be in the clear. And as 4KRG stated disable or unistall any AV prog and other stuff such as Norton Speedstart or Anticrash or progs of that nature.

Also was there any particular reason for the upgrade from 98 to 98SE? A philosphy I preach is if it works, don't try to fix it. Unless you believe you will benefit from doing so, it may not be needed. I'm still running one of my boxes with W95b and it runs fine (its a couple of years old). My newest box runs 98SE and its great. Anyway, the 98 to 98SE isn't as major as going from 95 to 98 or NT4 to W2k so it won't be so bad. The 95 to 98, and NT4 to W2k, is a different story (won't delve into that one)

------------------
---------
Boy..., you know I gotta weight problem, I can't wait to eat!
---------

Land of Taliboubou
Old 12-23-00, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I just bought the Asus Cusl2-c motherboard, and the reason I'm upgrading is because I also bought an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 32MB video card, and it requires Win98SE, thus my question.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't even run anti-virus software on my PC (so far), because I don't download gobs of gook and install the stuff on my PC. But I will look into getting the MacAfee or Norton AV next month, January.

Once I get back home next week and I'll install Win98SE on my PC.

Thanks for all the input!

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 12-25-00, 03:44 PM

http://www.winmag.com/windows/

This site has answered everything I was afraid of beforehand, Win98 or otherwise. It's a great article (The Essentials of Installing Win98, etc.).

I'm a great proponent of a clean reinstall every 6 - 12 months. It takes a few hours, but my PC seems to run that much faster afterwards (even if it's only all in my mind), but best of all those strange crashes go away.

BTW, I "borrowed" a friend's WinME setup CD and installed it on my laptop over a perfectly working Win98SE (I've been using computers since the C64 so I know enough to EXPECT that anything new from MS will not work the first time around). A cursory glance seemed to change my mind about WinMe; cool new additions, better-looking icons, etc. etc. And then I tried to use my previously flawless Lucent LT Winmodem.

And nothing happened. 4 hours of web research and 5 different drivers & countless configuration tweaks (thank goodness I have a desktop computer too) and I was not farther along. At least thanks to the internet I know that basically everyone with a Lucent chipset modem seems to have been inconvenienced by WinMe too, although some of them seemed to get the damn thing to work eventually.

As you may have guessed, I am back to Win98SE and anxiously awaiting Whistler V2.0 in 2002 or so... Win98SE works just fine.
Old 12-25-00, 05:09 PM

I thought winmodems were designed to run on Win 3.x (and in some cases Win95) only? I remember my dad had a USR winmodem that locked his box up running Win 95 box a couple years ago. WinME is a totally different animal in terms of what lies beneath. The icons are a very minor "cosmetic" change. What you have to realize is that things are different such as the kernel, GUI, memory management, etc. I'm guessing without even researching the winmodem you're trying to use is incompatible with WinME, unless drivers have been coded specifically for WinME. I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just informative. I have seen one too many people think all Win OS's are the same except for better graphics and its a "newer" version, so I must "upgrade." As long as you're not complaining that your coffee cup holder being broken (cd-rom drive tray) then everything is well. I have heard that one as well

It's true that Microsoft stuff doesn't always work the first time around but that is the same for 'everything' out there. Beta testing doesn't always get everything first time around whether it is an OS, game, chipset, etc. Hence the need for patches, upgrades, service packs, etc.

BTW- Does anyone still have 8" Wang Diskettes lying around?

------------------
---------
---------

Land of Taliboubou
Old 12-26-00, 07:01 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by taliboubou:
I thought winmodems were designed to run on Win 3.x (and in some cases Win95) only?

BTW- Does anyone still have 8" Wang Diskettes lying around?

<HR>

Huh? In point of fact, the modem in question came with my PIII laptop (bought in August 2000). That MS can't get the thing to work AT ALL almost 1/2 a year (or however long it's been) after WinME shipped (even with all the patches, etc. that I tried) is ridiculous. According to what I read on the web even other users who did get their LT Winmodems eventually to work did so at great sacrifice to the functionality of the things (much reduced connexion speeds, etc.). I'll know now to stay away from these modem chipsets, but Lucent Technologies is hardly a bit player, no??? It's not like this is some Albanian discount modem or anything ...
Old 12-26-00, 09:34 PM

Hmm.., didn't realize some modems were still called "winmodems." A few years ago that label was given to modems intended for Win 3.x. As you can guess I haven't seen the term "winmodem" used on a modem in quite a bit, my mistake. IMHO WinME is crap anyway, stick with Win98SE. And no Lucent isn't a 'bit' player though I wonder why they decided to call their modem a "winmodem." Maybe I'm out of it or something but that brings negative connotations in my head.

BTW- If your modem was working flawlessly in Win98SE why oh why did you install WinME on top of it??? Did your laptop come with ME or 98? Sounds like you "updated" when you really shouldn't have. There really is no significant difference between 98 and ME. And MS is not to blame for ME's incompatibility with Lucent's modem. Compatible drivers are the key ingredient. Does Lucent claim compatability of their modems, yours in particular, with WinME?

Did Elbonians by chance design and build Lucent LT Winmodems? little Dilbert humor

------------------
---------
---------

Land of Taliboubou