Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

AMD vs. Pentium

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

AMD vs. Pentium

Old 12-26-00, 01:41 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I am thinking of upgrading my gf's system. Currently, she is running on a Pentium Pro 200 mhz Gateway, that I gave her a year ago. I'd like to upgrade her processor first and work from there. What is the opinion of "the experts" on the AMD Duron (I saw a 700 mhz for $76 at buy.com), Athlon vs. the Pentium III (besides price of course). How can these AMD's be so cheap? There must be a catch, no? Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old 12-26-00, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by VinVega:
I am thinking of upgrading my gf's system. Currently, she is running on a Pentium Pro 200 mhz Gateway,
<HR>

Gateway ? yeeeeetch get rid of it

quote:<HR>
I'd like to upgrade her processor first and work from there.

<HR>

if the machine is currently a pentium pro, you are not going to be able to just upgrade the processor. Get her a new machine.

quote:<HR>
What is the opinion of "the experts" on the AMD Duron (I saw a 700 mhz for $76 at buy.com), Athlon vs. the Pentium III (besides price of course). How can these AMD's be so cheap? There must be a catch, no?

<HR>

no catch, AMD just doesn't care to earn a profit. I won't start another battle.

Old 12-26-00, 02:38 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
quote:<HR>if the machine is currently a pentium pro, you are not going to be able to just upgrade the processor. Get her a new machine.<HR>

Yeah, I kinda figured, but I never checked to see what motherboard was in there. What about purchasing a new motherboard and building the system that way? I have a site for cheap RAM and I could always canibalize the HD and I have an extra 48x CD-ROM lying around, the modem is fairly new as well, and the power supply and case are in working order. It seems silly to throw all that away. I'm semi-poor right now and don't think I can shell out the $800 that a new system will likely cost.
Old 12-26-00, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Gateway pentium pro???????? Is it ATX style? If so you could easily stick a motherboard, processor, ram combo into it for a little boost. If it is AT style then you will to get a special motherboard.

How much do you want to spend total?
Old 12-26-00, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There actually is a plug-in replacement to upgrade the CPU. This company, Power Leap adapts Celerons to plug into socket 8 systems. I haven't used it myself, but a friend actually has two of these in a dual configuration on an old Intel Providence MB. He's been quite happy with them.

If your system is on their compatibility list, it might not be a bad way to go if you want a simple upgrade.