Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to manually assign an IRQ to a device?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to manually assign an IRQ to a device?

Old 12-24-00, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My NIC card and modem share an IRQ. Since I don't want to move my modem to another PCI slot (where it will then share an IRQ with USB and/or Highpoint controller) I tried disabling COM1 in the BIOS to free up IRQ 4.
However, it won't let me manually assign an IRQ to the modem in device manager.
I assume there's now way to do this unless you find a way to disable ACPI. Am I correct?
Old 12-24-00, 02:09 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You should be able to assign IRQ's in your BIOS (PCI Configuration) to each PCI slot. Don't do it in Windows. And turn off Plug and Play OS in the BIOS too.
Old 12-25-00, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm, when I had a conflict between sound and modem, I went in the system area and forced the modem on irq 4 without even bothering to change COM1 since the modem used it anyways and it worked for me... The device manager shouldn't stop you from assigning IRQ's, it'll just give warning after warning.
Old 12-25-00, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In your BIOS change the IRQs giving you a problem to non plug and play. That way Windows will not automatically assign the devices to conflicting IRQs. This is a pain with having modem and LAN cards in the same box. The plug and play OS should be off too as X stated. On one of my boxes I have my modem on IRQ 5 and the LAN card on IRQ 9. But that is my particular setup. It can be done, just have to find a happy medium. I'll check the BIOS settings in that box next time I turn it on or reset it and let you know what I have set.

------------------
---------
Boy..., you know I gotta weight problem, I can't wait to eat!
---------

Land of Taliboubou