Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Replacing a Hard Drive question. (Quick!!!!!)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Replacing a Hard Drive question. (Quick!!!!!)

Old 12-21-00, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I want to replace my 15 gig drive with a 40 gig. How can I get everything from my 15 to my 40???????? Also, how and where do I get to the option to make a back-up floppy "BOOT" disc??????? I will need this to format my new hard drive, right?????

Hey, don't laugh, I'm still new at this sh!t!!!!!!

Please answer quickly, I'm at wits end!!!!

------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
"If I hear one more noise in here, I'm crackin' skulls!"
Old 12-21-00, 01:09 AM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check out ghost or drivecopy or other utilities like those.
Old 12-21-00, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Check out ghost or drivecopy or other utilities like those.
<HR>

How does ghost work?? Doesn't it save it to your hard drive??? How do you get it from one to the other????
Old 12-21-00, 01:13 AM
X
Administrator

As I recall, you would save to the new drive and restore from there, or save to the existing one (if you have room) and restore to the new one.

It's been a while. I used something from Norton (Symantec) that was free for 30 days. Only needed it for a few hours and it worked fine.
Old 12-21-00, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my problem is: I don't have room for two hard drives, so going from one to the other is impossible.

so how can I get the info from one to the other?
Old 12-21-00, 01:17 AM
X
Administrator

I did some checking. Symantec removed their trialware for a while while they're redoing the site. They say you can buy and return if your're not happy. But you might check out drivecopy or other similar programs.
Old 12-21-00, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

do you just not have room inside the case? what do you have hooked up. can you take out something else to let you put both in. for example take out your cdrom drive boot off of the old hard drive.use the utility that came with your new hard drive(i assume it did) to prepare your new hard drive. my maxtor came with software to mirror all data to my new hard rive. then i just booted off the new hard drive. then you put back your cdrom drive and your new hard drive- you will need to then change it to master from the slave setting you needed to boot originally.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 12-21-00, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was going to put both drives in, but I guess I'm going to have to get an adapter so I can fit the hard drive into the CD-ROM slot. Creepy as it may sound, the drive didn't come with any CD-ROM, or even instructions!!
Old 12-21-00, 09:52 AM

While GHost works great and I couldnt live without it, there are ways to do what you want without ghost.
(assuming you have win95/98)
FIrst, take the cables off of the CD rom drive (dont remove the drive) and use them on the new hard drive. (You dont have to have the new drive mounted, just place it on a level surface close enough to the case so that the cables reach.
Boot up like normal. Go into a command prompt and FDISK and format the drive.
Once you can see the new drive on the computer in win95/98 you are ready to copy. Reboot in SAFE mode. (Hit F8 durring the very begingng of bootup...press it once a second after the meme count if you cant get in!)
NOw in safe mode, open up the C drive, go to options and make sure you have SHOW ALL FILES selected. (another way to do this is click a file in the C drive and then hit CTRL A. THis will highlight everything and warn you if you dont have SHOW ALL FILES selected)

NOw GRAB everything in the C drive. Holdthe CTRL key down and single click the WINDOWS directory. THis will unhighlight it.
Now drag all the highlighted stuff to the new drive. (This could take a while)

Once this is done, shut down.
Reboot and go into a command prompt.

Now go to your new drive (should be D) and create the Windows directory with the following line: MD d:\windows
now change to the directory.
cd d:\windows

you should now have the following prompt:
d:\windows>
now change to the c drive
c:
change to the windows directory
cd c:\windows

tpye the following from the c:\widnows> prompt...

xcopy *.* /s /e d:

Once this is done, you should be able to disconect your old drive, and connect your new one to the old cables and boot like normal.

One you make sure it does, pull the old drive, place the new drive inside, reconnect the CD rom, and clse the case.

Yep, its a long process but not really all that hard. If you need more detailed instructions, let me know, Ill be happy to post them.
Old 12-21-00, 10:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
I was going to put both drives in, but I guess I'm going to have to get an adapter so I can fit the hard drive into the CD-ROM slot. Creepy as it may sound, the drive didn't come with any CD-ROM, or even instructions!!
<HR>

This doesn't sound as odd as you seem to think. Drives are usually packaged one of two ways... retail or bulk. The retail drives have nice boxes with software and manuals. The bulk drives come with several in a big box and are really intended to be used by companies building computers. Depending on who made the drive, you may be able to download the installation software from their web site... you can almost certainly get the manual. The software *may* support cloning the original drive directly to the new drive, assuming you can figure out a way to have both connected. (If you're brave, you can connect the two without actually mounting the second drive. I've done this many times myself.)

If you can't find the software, or it doesn't support cloning the drive, Ghost may be helpful. As X mentioned, the *home* version of Ghost can't be downloaded right now. But, the *corporate* version can be download if you've got the bandwidth. It has bells and whistles that you don't need, but would still handle your situation.

------------------
D.
Old 12-21-00, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DVDSTEVE

I have to agree with dead. This is normal. Sometimes the little drive info a technician would really need is printed right on the drive itself (like slave master jumper config)

Aaron - did a pretty good job at explaining the manual way to do it. The only things I think he missed were to tell you that when you format the new drive, make it bootable. I would format it from DOS - Format d: /s - assuming it will be drive d, the /s will make it bootable. When the copy is done you must then run fdisk again and make the partition on the new drive active. Minor points, but they will keep it from working.

My 2 cents, I would use ghost (email me if need help finding a trial version [email protected])

All you need to do is install the second drive and make sure the BIOS recognizes it. Then run ghost and pick about 4 selections from it's menus and it will make an EXACT copy of your current drive on to the new drive. Very easy and highly recommended.

Also the bracket you need to install the hard drive in a cd rom slot (3.5" to 5.25" frame) can be found at any compuer store. Personally, for my own home machine I never bother with such things . It is possible to install a 3.5" drive in a 5.25" bay by just using 2 screws on one side or the other. Only recommended for experts I guess. I have also drilled two holes in the BOTTOM of my midtower and secured a hard drive there too But I am insane and never play by the rules when it comes to PCs
Old 12-21-00, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

steve...what brand of hdd is it?

most manufacturers have a disk commander or ez bios type program, free for the download, that will do exactly what you are talking about.

just slave the new drive, run this disk, and it will copy everything over for you.

good luck,

cranky

------------------
"pray...for....mojo"

submit....your photo to http://welcome.to/theOtherForum
Old 12-21-00, 01:59 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

Aaron - did a pretty good job at explaining the manual way to do it. The only things I think he missed were to tell you that when you format the new drive, make it bootable. I would format it from DOS - Format d: /s - assuming it will be drive d, the /s will make it bootable. When the copy is done you must then run fdisk again and make the partition on the new drive active. Minor points, but they will keep it from working.
<HR>

Damn, and I reread to make sure I didnt leave anything out!

I to would recomend ghost, but its been hard to find a copy lately.
Old 12-21-00, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Aaron Campagnone:
Damn, and I reread to make sure I didnt leave anything out!

I to would recomend ghost, but its been hard to find a copy lately.
<HR>

I know, real life is different from a forum IRL I wouldn't even think twice about doing many thing I have to THINK about to write down and usually forget to write down.

It is so much easier to pick someone else's steps a part and see what is missing.

Old 12-23-00, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I want to make an image of my C: partition and copy that over to another partition. Can I use this Ghost thing to do that? Or can I just say COPY C: F: ?
Old 12-23-00, 07:29 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by eXcentris:
I want to make an image of my C: partition and copy that over to another partition. Can I use this Ghost thing to do that? Or can I just say COPY C: F: ?
<HR>

You can do XCOPY C:\ F:\ /S /E
but you need to make sure you get hidden ans sys files. I'm not sure there are /switches for that in Win 98 and you may not be able to copy some files over while you are in Windows, you'd have to do it in DOS. And I believe the XCOPY /switches are more limited in DOS.

I'm pretty sure I tried the above and went the Ghost route which worked great.
Old 12-25-00, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks everyone for all of your input! My new drive is in. I couldn't replace my CD-ROM with my old drive(permanently) because I burn alot of discs...so I just replaced the 15 gig. I was going to post another question, but someone beat me to the exact same topic...so, thanks again everyone and have a Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
"If I hear one more noise in here, I'm crackin' skulls!"