Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Startup Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Startup Question

Old 12-21-00, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an emachine and when I start up I get an emachine logo page and then a Windows 98 screen before I get to the password pop-up.

Is there a way to get rid of them or at least change them to show some thing different?

I am not too concerned with the Windows page, but I really want to get rid of the emachine one

I know, please don't bash my emachine. It hasn't failed me yet and I don't want to jinx it

Thanks for any help!
Old 12-21-00, 04:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

Create a bitmap of 320 X 400 X 8 bit, using MS-Paint or a similar program. Save the file as Logo.sys and make sure it's in the root-dir of the boot-drive. You can also change the "Please wait" and "You can safely turn off" messages that appear at shutdown.

To simply disable the screen by editing msdos.sys. You would need to add "Logo=n - Enables display of the startup logo (default n=0)" or edit the current line from n=1 to n=0.

------------------
D.
Old 12-21-00, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You could also download Multimedia Explorer. It's a graphics file viewer (gif, jpeg, etc...) and it has a logo changer option. Quick and simple.

You can get it here:

http://cws.internet.com/video-multix.html

[This message has been edited by eXcentris (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-00, 07:58 PM

I haven't used an Emachine, but Dell, Toshiba, etc. have image files that load from the bios and thats' what sounds like is loading in your case. The image file is a .epa file that is built in the bios and can be changed by flashing the bios. There is info about this at Virtualhideout.net. This is a very dangerous operation and I don't think it can even be done on an emachine.

Anyway, I wanted to mention it just in case the above methods don't work.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-00, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dead or anyone else,

OK I am semi computer literate or illiterate as the case may be.

I can see the logos.sys in my hard drive(C directory. It is 127KB, does that sound about right?

All I would need to do is make a .bmp picture and overwrite the original logo.sys with the new one correct? I should probably make a back up of the original just in case right?

Also my computer never displays "Please wait" and "You can safely turn off" all it does is switch a windows logo and displays "Windows is shutting down" and the computer turns off a few seconds later. Is there a problem with my computer?

Thanks again for the help
Old 12-22-00, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

this is normal behaviour for a ATX Power supply, when you tell windows to shut down, it literarly does. Thus there is no need to display the IT IS NOT SAFE TO TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER screen.

It is a good idea to save the file in case you want it back latter or it wasn't what you thought.

But Logo.sys is the Start up file, Logow.sys is the Please Wait screen, and Logos.sys is the It's now safe screen.

Wait screen

shut down screen

windows 98 does not use a logo.sys by defualt. if one exists it is a replacement screen, rename it and the default screen will show instead. (for 98 any ways)

[This message has been edited by conkie (edited December 22, 2000).]
Old 12-22-00, 09:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jumbojp:
Dead or anyone else,

I can see the logos.sys in my hard drive(C directory. It is 127KB, does that sound about right?

All I would need to do is make a .bmp picture and overwrite the original logo.sys with the new one correct? I should probably make a back up of the original just in case right?

Thanks again for the help
<HR>

I don't remember the size of the file right off. Try opening it in MS Paint and you should be able to tell if it's the image being used at startup.

Just make sure that you make your image at 320x400 and 256 colors and replace the current logo.sys with it. You can just rename the current logo.sys logo.old or something if you think you may want to revert back to it at some point.

------------------
D.
Old 12-23-00, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank You for your help
The logo.sys was the windows one and I was able to change it.

Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the emachine logo that displays right when I turn on the computer. I HATE THAT ONE!

I was able to get rid of most of the emachine crap that came on the computer and this is the last remaining thing I want to get rid of.
Old 12-23-00, 07:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
quote:<HR>Originally posted by jumbojp:
Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the emachine logo that displays right when I turn on the computer. I HATE THAT ONE!
<HR>

That may be in your BIOS and be difficult for you to remove unless you are good at hacking binary files and reflashing BIOS chips. Someone else may have already done this, so look around at more specific sites for your machine -- if there are any. Or possibly go with a generic BIOS, which may not be worth it.