Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD hardware problem, plz help.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD hardware problem, plz help.

Old 12-23-00, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
Just bought and installed a Toshiba 12x DVD-ROM(model sd-m1402) in my system. Its recognized in windows and there are no conflicts. DM says its working properly. Its on the secondary IDE controller with my CDRW. I put in a audio CD to test it and got a blue screen message. [An exception OE has occurred at 0028:c182D973 in VxD scsi1hlp (03)+0000583. This was called from 0028:C182D8F8 in scsi1hlp (03)+00000508]. Huh? scsi? I don't have any scsi devices in my system. I also tried a game CD, same thing. I reinstalled my old cd-rom drive and everythings fine. The jumpers for master and slave were set properly. I'm at a loss, this should be a easy install. I just borrowed a friends HI-VAL DVD drive to compare and got the same message. Any help would be appreciated.
My system specs: Windows 98, Abit VH6/800EB, 256mb of PC133 ram, ATI Radeon 32mb DDR w/DVD software installed, Soundblaster Live, Sony CDRW CRX140E, Maxtor 30mb/7200/ata 66 HD, 300w p/s.
Old 12-23-00, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Closest thing I could find

http://support.microsoft.com/support...n_SRCH&SPR=W98

looks like the problem was fixed in 98se. Do you have just plain 98?

otherwise run windows update and make sure you have everything up to date.

Maybe delete the IDE controllers and reinstall them with the dvd drive connected.

hard for me to hit this one over a forum
Old 12-23-00, 05:12 AM

solved the problem, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. turns out that HP CDRW's have this problem too and thats what led me to the solution. Had to rename file "scsi1hlp.vxd" to "scsi1hlp.old" to bypass that file. Everythings peachy now