Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Is My New Computer Messed Up?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Is My New Computer Messed Up?

Old 12-19-00, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a new desktop from Dell. It has 256 MB of RAM with an 866 processor.

When you restart the computer or turn it on after it has been shut down, the desktop icons take a long time to load. (When I say a long time, I mean a few seconds) A small, white image loads until the regular icon loads up. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds for the icons to load, sometimes they all load immediately.

I am no computer expert, but would like to no if this is a concern. I would hate to spend all of that money on a machine that doesn't run properly.

Thanks,
CH

[This message has been edited by chays99 (edited December 19, 2000).]
Old 12-19-00, 01:08 PM

How many icons do you have on your desktop? If you have too many, that would happen. If that is the case, all you need to do is clean up your desktop.
Old 12-19-00, 01:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by chays99:
A small, white image loads until the regular icon loads up. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds for the icons to load, sometimes they all load immediately.

Thanks,
CH
<HR>

chays99,

We had some problems with Dells doing something similar. The drivers that Dell had provided for the video cards were out of date. So, you might want to see which driver version you have and check the Dell (or video card makers) web site to see if there is a newer version available.

------------------
D.
Old 12-19-00, 01:59 PM

Thanks guys.

I will try to clean up some of the icons when I go home for lunch to see if that helps.

I will also check the drivers.
Old 12-19-00, 02:31 PM

I also have a Dell computer and exactly the same thing happens to me sometimes when I start the computer.
Old 12-19-00, 03:22 PM

I deleted several icons and restarted. They didn't load slowly this time, but it is on an occasional basis when it happens. Hopefully that will help.

craig_karriarist,

Is your sound kind of choppy when the windows start up sound plays? That seems to be another problem. I was just less concerned about it.

Old 12-19-00, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The choppy sound would have to do with, having to load all the other stuff also. When you ctrl-alt-del how many programs running maybe there is too much crap running at start up.

------------------
"Beat me if you can,survive if I let you"
"What would Brian Boitano do"
Old 12-19-00, 04:14 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by chays99:

craig_karriarist,

Is your sound kind of choppy when the windows start up sound plays? That seems to be another problem. I was just less concerned about it.
<HR>

No it is not, but I do have problems with choppy sound whith DTS and AC3 sound from my H+ card but I guess that's another story.

Old 12-19-00, 04:29 PM

This is actually typical of new computers. PC makers load up way to much useless stuff. So when your computer is starting up it loads about 20 unnecessary things. Instead of trying to get them all removed and cleaning up the mess the PC maker made, the thing I always do and recommend is as soon as you get it format the hard drive and install the stuff you want and need. You'll be amazed how much faster your computer will be.

example...I have a friend who recently bought an 800 mhz P3 with 128 megs of ram. My second computer which is only a pentium 200 mhz MMX with 64 megs of ram runs alot faster than my friends until I helped clean his up.
Old 12-19-00, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by LostHiWay:
[B]This is actually typical of new computers. PC makers load up way to much useless stuff. So when your computer is starting up it loads about 20 unnecessary things. Instead of trying to get them all removed and cleaning up the mess the PC maker made, the thing I always do and recommend is as soon as you get it format the hard drive and install the stuff you want and need. You'll be amazed how much faster your computer will be.

[B]
<HR>

I do that every couple months and especially right away.

------------------
"Beat me if you can,survive if I let you"
"What would Brian Boitano do"
Old 12-19-00, 10:19 PM

Assuming you are running Windows 98 or Me, check to see if the active desktop is loading.

Right click on the desktop and click on properties. Under display properties click on Web. If "Show Web Content on My Desktop" is enabled. Disabled it. It slows down any machine considerably.

Also, check to see if your display setting is at least set to High Colors(16 bit). and along with that make sure that your monitor has the proper drivers and not the default "Plug and Play" drivers.

Hope this helps
Old 12-19-00, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Also, if your monitor is killing your eyes, make sure the refresh rate is set to at least 85hz. With anything less, the flicker will give you a headache in no time.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 12-21-00, 01:25 PM

I deleted several icons and that seems to have helped for now. How difficult is it to go in and restore back to factory settings in order to delete all of the crap that comes on the machine?

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-22-00, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

something else... if you do not care to use active desktop turn it off...

(if you have web content on your desktop you use it, you can also set your background to a jpeg or gif, even animated (yuck) but it slows things down)

Right click on desktop highlight active desktop, if there is a check next to View as a webpage click once to remove the checkmark. bet it makes worlds of diffence

(but then i have a 166mhz )