Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Speeding this box up.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Speeding this box up.

Old 12-20-00, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know to much about hardware. I know a lot of you guys do.

My computer needs to speed up, the newer games don't run well at all, and my 3d modeling programs chug.

I am in the understanding that normally adding more ram is better then getting a faster processor.

However, my processor is so old, it's a 166mhz.

I have an old Voodoo Banshee 3d card which I will be replacing.

I have 96 megs of ram (can't say I know the type)

My question is along with a new 3d card, which should I get, more ram, or a new processor? Which brand? which type? how much?

I'm on a budget, so I might just go the cheapest way, but I'm intrested in your suggestions. I can't afford a 1.5ghz or anything, but I will pay for quality within reason.

Old 12-20-00, 05:21 AM

133? Oh gosh, pentium ONE? Banshee? Oh man, you have a long way to go. Normally I would give you a few tips, but it's very late and I'm too tired. I'll let the insomniacs handle this. I see if I can throw some ideas in the morning when I can actually think.
Old 12-20-00, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You would be better off with a new machine.

If you act quick, you can get this machine for about $500

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfh/offers...3X_offer04.htm

IMHO no better deal for price vs quality on the net.
Old 12-20-00, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah and if the ram you have right now is pc100 you could add that to that dell machine, it wouldn't be a too bad machine.

------------------
"Beat me if you can,survive if I let you"
"What would Brian Boitano do"
Old 12-20-00, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

quote:<HR>133? Oh gosh, pentium ONE? Banshee? Oh man, you have a long way to go<HR>

166. I think it's a Pentium 2 actually (MMX, which I think was the early name for the Pentium 2)

I can replace the banshee easily. It has suited my needs for many years, and only now has become to old for me.

But I don't understand how these two things can be "A long way to go"

Granted, the processor getting replaced could be a problem, but I'm sure I can upgrade it a few hundred mhz, unless my motherboard is a bitch.

With a new processor and a new video card, I would think the computer would be fine.

That Dell would probably suite me fine, but I don't need all that stuff. (Besides, I doubt they'll ship to Canada)

The main question I have is what would be best, more ram or better processor?

I don't need a super computer. I can't afford to buy a new computer every year. The one I have now has suited my needs for many years until just very recently.
Old 12-20-00, 02:45 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BizRodian:
166. I think it's a Pentium 2 actually (MMX, which I think was the early name for the Pentium 2)

I can replace the banshee easily. It has suited my needs for many years, and only now has become to old for me.

But I don't understand how these two things can be "A long way to go"

Granted, the processor getting replaced could be a problem, but I'm sure I can upgrade it a few hundred mhz, unless my motherboard is a bitch.

With a new processor and a new video card, I would think the computer would be fine.

That Dell would probably suite me fine, but I don't need all that stuff. (Besides, I doubt they'll ship to Canada)

The main question I have is what would be best, more ram or better processor?

I don't need a super computer. I can't afford to buy a new computer every year. The one I have now has suited my needs for many years until just very recently.
<HR>

Oh sorry, I was tired last night and read it wrong. I'm pretty sure it's a Pentium and not a Pentium 2 because 166 is Pentium clock speed, the slowest Pentium 2 is 233. It also could be a PPro, it's basicly the Pentium two with full cache and no MMX. But you said your's has MMX, which confuses me. Because neither the Pentium nor PPro has MMX. Well anyways, I say a long way to go because for you to have a decent upgrade, you basicly have to redo your whole system. The Pentium and PPro use a Socket 7 and 8 while all the newer chips have different socket types. This means you have to buy a new motherboard. And seeing how you have such an old machine, there's a high probability that you're running EDO ram. If you upgrade to a new motherboard, most likely you'll have to throw out that ram and buy sdram or rambus, but this shouldn't be a problem because of such low prices for ram these days. The Banshee is a very old gaming card. It is decent at 2d, but it'll drag on 3d, especially the 3d modeling that you do. You'll need a new video card too (I recommend geforce2 mx for cheap and bang up job). You didn't say anything hard drive or sound card, so I suspect you have sufficient enough right now so you can just use what you have now. As you see, you're a long way from an upgrade. I agree with 4KRG, you should just buy a new computer. The Dell he suggested looks okay, but I don't think it has enough ram for your 3d modeling, but you could always upgrade. It also doesn't specify what video card it has, you might want to ask before you buy.
Old 12-20-00, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BizRodian

Dell does have a Canadian website Dell.CA I think.

The problem here is your Pentium 166MMX is a few generations behind the times in technology. You can NOT upgrade the processor beyond a 233mhz MMX PENTIUM I. Honestly you won't see a whole lot of difference with this processor (IF YOU CAN FIND ONE) or with more ram (assuming you are running a 9X line of OS, like Win 98)

You need a new case, power supply, motherboard, video card, RAM, etc, etc it is much better to just find a good deal on a new machine and keep your current monitor. Maybe even buy a used machine if money is tight. Something that is at least a PII, but prefer a PIII.

Let me know what you are trying to do and maybe I can give a better answer. What exactly won't this machine do for you?

How much money do you want to spend?

What OS do you run? or want to run?
Old 12-20-00, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is MMX. It's just 166 for some reason (I didn't know much about it when I bought it) but it IS mmx (It says so on the little corner thingy )

I understand about mother boards and all that. That if the mother board is to old, I can't have newer processors blah blah blah.

I remember at the time, that the mother board I got was good for upgrading.

I'll eventually phone the guy who built this and see hwt he says.

I know the banshee is old. I bought it a while back. Most games I can't run over 800x600 resolution without freezing right away. I just haven't upgraded since I have not really needed to until now.

Voodoos are cheap right now, so they're tempting, but since Geforce is better... well.. we'll see.
Old 12-20-00, 06:00 PM
Cool New Member

if you really want to do it the cheap way. your motherboard "might" except a k6-3 400or 450 overclocked, which is a pretty fast chip. what also special about this chip is that it interprets the 2x multiplier on the motherboard as 6x. most older motherboards, and yours too, probably do not have setting of multiplier pass 3.5x, therefore, it works fine in your situation. now before you go out and get one of these chips, make sure that your motherboard has the 2.5v jumper for your cpu; your current chip is an intel pentium MMX; and the chipset on the motherboard must be either intel VX or TX chipset.

this way, you only have to spend 50 bucks on a new chip while it speeds up your computer a few times. lastly, it is not worth it to upgrade the banshee with what you have now. just update to the newest driver over at 3dfxgamers.com, and you should have a pretty decent system.
Old 12-21-00, 01:55 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Biz,

I think it would help us to be able to help you if we knew how much money you want (or are willing) to spend on your computer upgrade. $200? $400? $50? The amount you can upgrade is directly contrained by the amount of money you are willing to spend.

I would have to agree with 4KRG as well, in this case it will probably save you the most time and headaches to get a completely new system. Now if you are confident in building your own system and have a good friend who could do so for you, you could just buy a new motherboard, chip, RAM, and video card, while raiding your old computer for the rest of the parts to complete your new system. This would allow you to customize your computer as you see fit, not whatever Dell decides to package. But $400 for a new computer is a good price.

It sounds like you want to run some pretty heavy 3d graphics apps (in addition to some games for sure eh?), so I think getting a new system with more horsepower will get you what you're looking for. Even a new Celeron system will be more than three-times faster your existing computer.

Good luck!