Reload this Page >

A Question For 4KRG

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A Question For 4KRG

Old 12-15-00, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4KRG,

I have a SONY PCV-90 computer at home (bought 4 years ago) that I upgraded the modem from a 28.8k to a 56k. After I installed the new modem, I can no longer play wav files. Whenever I do I just hear static sounds instead of the wav. I was on the phone with SONY CS for over 2 hours, theu couldn't figure it out. We reintsalled the sound driver and recovered some sound files from the recovery cd and it still didn't work.

I can play music cd's and midi files with no problems. It just can't play wav files.

They said the sound chip may have been damaged by the new modem.

According to them, the only thing left to is do a full format of the C drive.

Do you have any suggestions before I do a full format ? (which I really don't want to do)

Could the sound chip be damaged even though it plays cd's and midi files ?

Thanks.

------------------
Maximus Struzus - General of the Other Forum
Old 12-15-00, 05:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

If installing a modem can actually fry a sound chip like that, then the hardware sucks to begin with.

My suggestion is to uninstall the modem drivers, shutdown, take the modem out, and boot back up. If that fixes it, then you know it's a major conflict with the drvers and/or hardware between the two.

Another recomendation that would be less of a pain to try would be to look in the device manager to see if there are any conflicts. While this meathod may not fix anything, it might help to know.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-15-00, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Northrup:
If installing a modem can actually fry a sound chip like that, then the hardware sucks to begin with.

My suggestion is to uninstall the modem drivers, shutdown, take the modem out, and boot back up. If that fixes it, then you know it's a major conflict with the drvers and/or hardware between the two.

Another recomendation that would be less of a pain to try would be to look in the device manager to see if there are any conflicts. While this meathod may not fix anything, it might help to know.
<HR>

Thanks Jason.

What sort of conflicts in the device mgr ?

------------------
Old 12-15-00, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Conflicts stick out as red X's unless i'm mistaken. You can also check for yellow ? signs under other devices. If I was you, I'd just remove both the sound and modem from the system profile, then load sound back and see if it works (If not, the problem could be in the soundcard) and then add modem again to see if it works or not. (basically what Jason said to do)

Hmmm, also, the problem could be an IRQ conflict. I had this same sort of problem with my soundblaster card and modem both using the same irq so that I never had sound. I ended up forcing the modem on IRQ 4 (COM1) and they both worked after that. You should check both modem and sound card specs to see what IRQ they use by default and the others they can use and change one of them to another IRQ if it's unused. You can check the IRQ they are using in the control panel, under System, Device Manager, and then click on the appropriate boxes in that which opens a new window where you choose the Resources tab and it gives the Interrupt Request (and the box on the bottom will also list conflicts if there are some).
Old 12-15-00, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stuz

It would help to know the brand and model of modem.

I would say the modem could not damage the 'sound chip' by itself. That is an idiot speaking.

Jason is on the right track. Remove the modem DRIVERS, the modem itself, and the sound DRIVERS. Reboot, reinstll the sound drivers and see if everything works. IF it does work, then you had a conflict between your sound card and modem. IF it still doesn't work then you still may have hardware or software issues to deal with.

Go ahead and try that as step 1 and lets see what happens.
Old 12-15-00, 08:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Struz:
I can no longer play wav files. Whenever I do I just hear static sounds instead of the wav.

I can play music cd's and midi files with no problems. It just can't play wav files.
<HR>

Sounds like a classic IRQ conflict to me. CD-ROM's generally don't process in the sound card, they just passes through. Do you know how to use the Control Panel to check on device properties?

------------------
D.

Official member of the Goblincat Hate Group Watch! ;-)
Old 12-16-00, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

maybe the file type wave is now associated with something else like the new modem.go to view on windows explorer and the go to folder options select file types and look for wav files-you may need to look at many of the files to see which contains .wav files mine is in winamp. then you can edit it to select what program you want to play them. use browse to find the program you want to use.

------------------
Other Bargains Coupon Pet Thread
Old 12-16-00, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's a Blaster V.90 56k modem by DSI (Creative).

I checked the all the IRQ's and there's no conflict.

I haven't removed the modem yet because it's a pain in the ass to get to the back of my computer. I haven't had time to do it.

Is there anything else I can check before I remove the modem ?

------------------
Old 12-16-00, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Blaster V.90 56k modem by DSI (Creative).

I checked the all the IRQ's and there's no conflict.

I haven't removed the modem yet because it's a pain in the ass to get to the back of my computer. I haven't had time to do it.

Is there anything else I can check before I remove the modem ?

<HR>

Just because I can not see it in person, it will be easier for me to help you this way.

This is the fastest most accurate way to determine if there is a conflict of any type, not just IRQ.

Look at it this way, if you remove the modem and still have the problem, then something may be damaged. There is no other way that will give as much information.
Old 12-18-00, 03:46 AM

I'm just curious: when you go into "Control Panel", "Multimedia" applet, under the "Audio" tab, what does it show as the "Preferred device" for "Playback"? Is it possible that the modem's wave device is selected here, causing all wave files to be played through the modem? I'm not sure about your situation, but my sound card doesn't require separate IRQ, DMA, or other resources for playing back wave and MIDI. So it struck me as rather odd that you can play one but not the other.

In any case, it's just a simple suggestion that might have been overlooked.
Old 12-18-00, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

iveal,

I'm almost postive I checked this while on the phone with Sony but I'll double check tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

4KRG & Jason,

If I have time tonight I'll try taking out the modem and see if the problem still exists.

Thanks.

------------------
Old 12-19-00, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Update:

Last night I removed the new 56k modem (ISA) and the modem drivers, put back the old modem (PCI) and restarted the computer. The problem was still there.

Then I removed the sound drivers and rebooted. The sound drivers were reinstalled when the system came up and then I tested a wav file and it worked !

It must be something with the new modem that's not compatible with my PC.

Thanks for all the help guys !

------------------
Old 12-19-00, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update:

Last night I removed the new 56k modem (ISA) and the modem drivers, put back the old modem (PCI) and restarted the computer. The problem was still there.

Then I removed the sound drivers and rebooted. The sound drivers were reinstalled when the system came up and then I tested a wav file and it worked !

It must be something with the new modem that's not compatible with my PC.

Thanks for all the help guys !

<HR>

Here are the features of your modem blaster

Features/Benefits Full-duplex Speakerphone: Professional quality speakerphone
Windows 95/98 Plug and Play: Simple installation that automatically detects and configures the modem
Video Conferencing (V.80): Simply add a camera and you are ready for video conferencing
Voice: Answering machine with multiple mailboxes and pager notification of new calls and faxes
Software Upgradeable: Protects your investment through simple software upgrades
Simultaneous Voice and Data (SVD): Send data while talking at the same time (K56flex only)
Wakeup on Ring (Win 98 only)

This problem has something to do with the voice side of the modem. Hav you tried to re-associate WAV files with your sound card after the modem was installed?

This one really shouldn't be too hard, but I am not familiar enough with the hardware to do it blindly. my guess is the modem software is reassigning the wav association to the modem, you just need to assign it back. This is assuming you are correct in saying no device conflicts show up in your device manager after the modem is installed.
Old 12-19-00, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
This problem has something to do with the voice side of the modem. Hav you tried to re-associate WAV files with your sound card after the modem was installed?

This one really shouldn't be too hard, but I am not familiar enough with the hardware to do it blindly. my guess is the modem software is reassigning the wav association to the modem, you just need to assign it back. This is assuming you are correct in saying no device conflicts show up in your device manager after the modem is installed.
<HR>

4KRG,

There were no device conflicts after the new modem was installed.

It probably was assigning the wav files through the modem because it sounded like a modem (screeching sound) whenever I played a wav file.

I'm not going to bother trying to put the 56k modem back. My PC is 4 years old and very slow (Pentium I with only a 2 GB hard drive).
I'm looking to get a new PC soon anyway. It's not worth the headache of trying to fix this problem.

------------------