Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Domain Question.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Domain Question.

Old 12-16-00, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Domain Name, Which currently is not being really hosted.. it is redirected to my web space on my isp.

My question is this, Would it be possible to set up a Sub-Domain that would point to a specific IP, (like my computers ip address, static) For Example say i wanted to set up a shoutcast server at shoutcast.conkiescorner.com or some thing like that? How would i set this up or who would i need to contact to get shoutcast.conkiescorner.com registered to my static ip address?

Thanks
Old 12-16-00, 04:59 AM

You'll need to contact your isp and ask them nicely if they are willing to direct the sub domain to your ip on their dns server. Most isps wont bother to do it, but it can't hurt to try.
Old 12-16-00, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You need to update the DNS record on the name server that's authoratitive for your domain. In your case, that appears to be operated by domaindiscover. Some domain registrars allow you to manually edit your DNS entries through their web site. If domaindiscover does not have this feature, you'll need to e-mail them. If they won't do it at all, then you can find another name server.
Old 12-16-00, 08:43 AM

Dang... Guess i am going to have to find another one if i am going to do it. Ah nuts.
Old 12-16-00, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's a few organizations that provide free DNS service. I found these guys without too much trouble: central info.

I don't know anything about those people except they claim to offer free DNS service. If you want to learn more about DNS, here's a good place to start: DNSRD.
Old 12-19-00, 02:52 AM

Can i have a 3rd level domain setup on a diffrent DNS Server then my 2nd Level Domain is on? Or do I have to transfer my 2nd Level Domain to another provider in order to get this done?
Seems like a strange question but right now I am using URL Forwarding so that my domian name points at my web site, to cheap to get it hosted.
Old 12-19-00, 03:23 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by conkie:
Can i have a 3rd level domain setup on a diffrent DNS Server then my 2nd Level Domain is on? Or do I have to transfer my 2nd Level Domain to another provider in order to get this done?
Seems like a strange question but right now I am using URL Forwarding so that my domian name points at my web site, to cheap to get it hosted.
<HR>

You can only have one DNS server per domain. But what you can do is ask your current dns server to point the 2nd level to your current web space, and have it point the 3rd level one to another server. But for this to work, you'll need to have both the server admins to cooperate. Most free servers wont do such a thing unless you personally know the admin.