Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Looking for a cheap CD burner

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Looking for a cheap CD burner

Old 12-18-00, 02:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im getting a DSL, and was wondering if any of you could recomend one? Thanks in advance, Fred
Old 12-18-00, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

go here http://www.pricepc.com/cgi-bin/part.cgi?item=CDROM

find this one near the bottom

TEAC4424 TEAC 4X4X32 IDE REWRITABLE Drive Includes Software/Cables/Blank Media $93.95

Cheap with quality, but 4x is a little slow by today's standards.
Old 12-18-00, 03:40 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check the Other Bargains forum for possible deals on cheap CDRW drives. I've seen 8x writers going for $100 or so. Check out Anandtech's hot deals forum as well.

Sony, Ricoh, Yamaha, and Plextor are good drives to get. I would be wary of any generic/ unbranded/ no-name CDRW drive, you might get what you pay for...
Old 12-19-00, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For a really good entry level drive, i'd recommend the Mitsumi 4804TE. I've seen it rated as the third best drive on the market today behind only the 10x Plextor and the 12x Sony as far as overburning, media support, blind reading and such are concerned. I picked one up in full kit for for only $100 last week and it's been great.

On a simple side note, i seem to get the occasional error in discjuggler with it ... 'invalid entry in something or other' when burning complex cdi files. But if i convert them to Nero (10 min overhead), i get no errors at all. You probably have no idea what i'm talking about, but it's only flaw i can list. Stay away from HP at all cost. As soon as you stop using the adaptec software, they start to wallow.