Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

A couple hard drive questions.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A couple hard drive questions.

Old 12-17-00, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to get an additional hard drive since mine is mostly filled. I am looking to go "External" since I don't want to go through the hassle of copying everything to disc, then putting it all back on, plus, if I get a 30 or 40 gig in addition to the 15 gig that I alreary have, I'll never need another drive.

Now for the questions:

a)Is external recommended...as good as Internal???

b)What exactly IS Firewire, and will I need special adapters to connect it to my PC??

c)I am looking at 2 different Hard drives, This Maxtor, and this Western Digital. Does anyone have any input on either of these, or any other suggestions?????????

(edit)The Maxtor is on sale for $229 at Best Buy!!!
------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
Moorehed for our Forum Savior!!!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
Gimme BUSH in 2000!!!

[This message has been edited by dvdsteve2000 (edited December 16, 2000).]
Old 12-17-00, 02:44 AM

External hard drive is an overkill for most home users. From what I could understand for your post, you don't really need one. You just want one for convinience sakes. Why don't you want to go internal, it sounds like you only have one internal HDD right now, you should still have additional slots for it. And if you plan on copying the old hard drive to a new larger one, you could always create a partition of the equal size of the old drive on the new drive. Then use a software like Norton Ghost to mirror the drive very quickly. And firewire connection is just another form of connection from your computer to an input device, like USB, PS/2, etc (but a lot faster). You will need a new controller card for firewire. If you are out of IDE slots, it would be cheaper to just get an IDE controller and pop in an internal HDD. And also, i think "I'll never need another drive" is kind of a bold statement to make. I'm sure you said that same thing before you bought that 15gb drive of your's.
Old 12-17-00, 12:48 PM

Also avoid the Maxtor Drive. It may be cheap, on-sale or whatever but I never go outside of Western Digital. Just my opinion and experience

------------------
---------
Boy..., you know I gotta weight problem, I can't wait to eat!
---------

Land of Taliboubou
Old 12-17-00, 02:28 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by taliboubou:
Also avoid the Maxtor Drive. It may be cheap, on-sale or whatever but I never go outside of Western Digital. Just my opinion and experience

<HR>

Yes, Maxtor has gotten a bad reputation in the past. But their new DiamondMax Plus series are great. They are inexpensive, reliable, quiet (compared to most other drives), doesn't give off too much heat (less than most other 7200rpm drives), and has a very good performence.
Old 12-17-00, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dvdsteve2000

Go internal. It is not as hard as it looks and if you go firewire you will need to install a firewire card inside your machine (needless expense).

I know you are thinking the external will be easier, but in your case it is most likely not.

The DiamondMax Plus series maxtor drives are not better or worse than other comsumer level hard drive made today. I am currently running three of them in my home machine and quite a few in the new dell units I am getting from work. Western Digital USE to have an edge on quality, that edge is LONG gone

More direct answers.

A) External is not recommended unless you have a special need or are just plain out of space. They are always more expensive.

b) Firewire is a high speed serial transfer standard. Much faster than USB, but similar.

C) Maxtor is fine. It is no worse than any other. WD has gone downhill in recent years.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited December 17, 2000).]
Old 12-17-00, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Thanks for all the help guys!! I just ordered a 40.5 Western Digital 7200 Internal Drive. You guys took the fear that I had about installing an internal drive. I've put in two RAM cards already, and installed my Ethernet card, and put in two different CD-RW's, so I guess this is the next big step!!!! I'm sure all of this sounds petty to most of you, but I've only had a computer for about 10 months now, and knew NOTHING about them before I bought one...so I think I'm doing pretty good!!

Thanks again for all of the input, help, and suggestions...it's GREATLY appreciated!!!

------------------
The above statement is MY opinion, and in no way is DVDTalk, or any of it's affiliates, responsible for the views that I have posted here.

[email protected]
My Tracker list!
BAN NETWORK TV!!
...I'm not wearing any pants!!!!
"If I hear one more noise in here, I'm crackin' skulls!"
Old 12-17-00, 03:46 PM
Banned

Western Digital aren't the most reliable drives in the world, but they do have a GREAT warranty. Anything goes bad in 3 years and they replace it with a new drive. they usually upgrade your drive too!
Old 12-18-00, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd go Western Digital myself.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 12-18-00, 03:51 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVDSteve,

Just make sure that when you're installing your new hard drive that you make sure the jumpers on the rear of the hard drive are set properly (the master/ slave jumpers). And to make sure you get the most throughput on your new harddrive, you should attach it to a separate IDE channel than what your main hard drive is attached.

Good luck!