Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu Ray on Macbook Pro

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Blu Ray on Macbook Pro

Old 08-02-09, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu Ray on Macbook Pro

Hey everyone, I am a big time movie fan, and have a decently sized DVD collection. The thing is I am a broke college student who doesn't have a tv. I watch all my DVD's on my Macbook pro, but I want to start purchasing blu rays as new releases come out. I realize blu rays dont play on macbook pros, but is there any kind of way to hook up any kind of blu ray player to my macbook pro to view them on it? I am not very technological, so I apologize if this is a silly inquiry...

thanks for your time
Old 08-02-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Blu Ray on Macbook Pro

I don't know if there is software that will play blu ray movies in OSX. If you find one that does then just buy an external blu ray drive.
Old 08-02-09, 06:59 PM

i can't seem to find any software for it... so i guess I cannot.
Old 08-02-09, 09:41 PM

I believe your only option is buy an external Blu-Ray drive and then to run windows (via Fustion, Parallels, etc) and watch that way. There are no drivers for Blu-Ray for macs (yet?).
Old 08-02-09, 10:00 PM

ok, thank you. It seems like it will end up costing more to do this then to buy a decnet tv and player... I might as well just do that
Old 08-02-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well you can BURN a BD on a Mac but you can't currently watch movies you buy from the store. Hopefully Apple gets with the times.
Old 08-03-09, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Final Cut Pro has Bluray capability built in and there are rumors that it's coming to the consumer models soon.
Old 08-03-09, 03:35 PM

thanks guys, ted- ill check those links out tonight when I am free
Old 08-03-09, 03:49 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Ted's links were removed as they violated the rule stated here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/4...-material.html

Ted, this should also serve as a warning to you.
Old 08-04-09, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are the macbook screens even HDCP compliant. The Imac screens aren't. Unless they recently changed them.
Old 08-04-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I do think that Apple will support Blu-ray technology, especially now that the Blu-ray Disc Association has switched to a much simpler "one stop" licensing model for the technology, and the BDA might even offer a large-volume licensing discount to Apple just to get Blu-ray disc technology onto every Mac model.

Apple's iMac and Mac Pro desktop models and MacBook notebook models are just about ready for Blu-ray technology, with only minor extensions to MacOS X and a reasonably-priced BD-RE drive necessary to finally implement it. I would not be surprised that the implementation comes as early as this October with the next hardware "refresh" of the MacBook and MacBook Pro models.
Old 08-04-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by X View Post
Ted's links were removed as they violated the rule stated here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/4...-material.html

Ted, this should also serve as a warning to you.
My apologies -- the purpose of my post was to help people play legally purchased material on their Macs. I didn't realize that violated your policy.
Old 08-04-09, 01:42 PM
X
Administrator

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
My apologies -- the purpose of my post was to help people play legally purchased material on their Macs. I didn't realize that violated your policy.
I understand why you did it.

The basis of our policy is that the DMCA has to be violated in cracking the encryption of DVD and Blu-ray. Copying a CD that doesn't have that encryption is no problem when it's for your own use. Copying DVDs and Blu-rays is a problem.
Old 08-04-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
I do think that Apple will support Blu-ray technology, especially now that the Blu-ray Disc Association has switched to a much simpler "one stop" licensing model for the technology, and the BDA might even offer a large-volume licensing discount to Apple just to get Blu-ray disc technology onto every Mac model.

Apple's iMac and Mac Pro desktop models and MacBook notebook models are just about ready for Blu-ray technology, with only minor extensions to MacOS X and a reasonably-priced BD-RE drive necessary to finally implement it. I would not be surprised that the implementation comes as early as this October with the next hardware "refresh" of the MacBook and MacBook Pro models.
I hope that is the case -- but my question is how minor the Mac OS X changes would need to be. Also, I think that at least part of Apple's reasoning is that they are betting on HD downloads winning the format battle against Blu-ray, thus it isn't a matter of ease, it is a matter of competitive politics.

The next obvious juncture to introduce BD support would be the Snow Leopard release next month. If it doesn't happen then...
Old 08-04-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Broke college student yet you want to switch from uber cheap DVD to expensive Blu-ray
Old 08-04-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

and with the rumored iTablet coming as soon as next month, i doubt we'll see BD drives on Apple computers other than Mac Pro's any time soon
Old 08-04-09, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Broke college student yet you want to switch from uber cheap DVD to expensive Blu-ray
yes, I plan to have a nice tv and blu ray player after I finish school in a few years, so why not start buying blu rays now so ill have a decent collection by the time I get the money for a tv and a permanent residence...

Ill continue to buy dvds on sale, but when new releases come out that I want I will be able to get them in blu ray. I don't buy very many dvds compared to most, and when I say I have a decent collection I mean more then 100 but less then 200.
Old 08-04-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt Planit View Post
yes, I plan to have a nice tv and blu ray player after I finish school in a few years, so why not start buying blu rays now so ill have a decent collection by the time I get the money for a tv and a permanent residence...

Ill continue to buy dvds on sale, but when new releases come out that I want I will be able to get them in blu ray. I don't buy very many dvds compared to most, and when I say I have a decent collection I mean more then 100 but less then 200.
It just makes no sense. Spend $25 on a Blu-ray you can't watch now but may in a few years when that $25 Blu-ray is likely $5-$10?
Old 08-04-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Collections are over rated. Just get Netflix. You will be kicking yourself when you can't afford something you really really need and have 1000 worthless DVD's collecting dust.
Old 08-04-09, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
Collections are over rated. Just get Netflix. You will be kicking yourself when you can't afford something you really really need and have 1000 worthless DVD's collecting dust.
Like I said earlier I have less then 200 dvds, and don't add that many very often. Every so often I buy a new release. (maybe 1 every two months or so) I was trying to figure out a way to get it on blu ray (and play on computer) but now that I know I cant ill just get the dvd.

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
It just makes no sense. Spend $25 on a Blu-ray you can't watch now but may in a few years when that $25 Blu-ray is likely $5-$10?
No, I would only buy blu rays IF i could play them on my laptop which I now know I can't. Therefore I have not, and will not buy any blu rays.

Guys I wasnt talking about having a huge blu ray collection, just a few as they come out...
Old 08-08-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fmian View Post
Are the macbook screens even HDCP compliant. The Imac screens aren't. Unless they recently changed them.
Is HDCP an issue with built-in displays?
Old 08-10-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Boy Genius Report claims Blu-ray support in iTunes 9
Take with shovels of salt, etc.
Old 08-10-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by shaun3000 View Post
Is HDCP an issue with built-in displays?
it's still a screen with a cable that runs to the laptop motherboard.
Old 08-10-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ted Todorov View Post
probably lends credibility to the itablet rumors. Blu-Ray is supposed to have a managed copy feature that allows you to rip your movie to watch on another device.

no one in their right mind will buy a disc and a digital copy from itunes