Need Help with buying my first wirless router

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 05-16-09, 05:59 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting Charter Internet in a month and want to pickup a wireless router (get a decent sale price).

How do I know which router works with my computer? All I want to do is hookup with charter internet modem, 1 printer, Xbox360 and two laptops (1 hp & 1 sony). In the future a netbook.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some help!
Old 05-16-09, 06:33 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Need Help with buying my first wirless router

I have charter internet and I went with the Motorola SBG900. With this you don't need a modem and router. This is a wireless cable modem. It does it all. I'm happy with mine.
Old 05-20-09, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shouldn't be specific to what internet you are using.

Pick up a Buffalo Mimo G router from Newegg. They run around $50 but are more than worth it. I have gone through a couple of Buffalo routers without having issues with any of them and never needing to reset any of them at all. They are stable as hell and fast for a G.
Old 05-20-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fairly dumb when it comes to routers, but I bought a Linksys WRT54G2 in December and it was easy to set up and has been rock solid. I have a laptop and 2 iPod Touches running off of it....

Currently 46.95 at Amazon...
Old 05-20-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC View Post
I have charter internet and I went with the Motorola SBG900. With this you don't need a modem and router. This is a wireless cable modem. It does it all. I'm happy with mine.
That's great if he only wants to use it for wireless connections, but he'd still need a router to connect wired computers.

Personally, I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G-L. You can use it as-is, out of the box, but more importantly, you can flash it to run Tomato or OpenWRT or what have you.
Old 05-21-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
That's great if he only wants to use it for wireless connections, but he'd still need a router to connect wired computers.
It has a single Ethernet port in back, so you could have one wired device, or add a switch to connect multiple wired devices to it.

Before getting an integrated modem/router though, you should ask your cable company about the modem rental fees. If your cable company isn't charging you a rental fee for their modem, there's no reason to get your own.

Also, integrated designs give you less flexibility and increased failure risk. When my cable modem failed recently, All I had to get was a new modem; The separate router stayed the same. With an integrated design, if either the modem or router part fails, you'll have to get a replacement for both parts. Also, if I decide to switch to DSL or FIOS, I can keep the same router, while with the integrated modem/router you'd be out of luck.
Old 05-21-09, 12:00 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Its $4 a month for the modem and $10 a month for going wireless (router&modem). Which is REALLY expensive.

If I keep router & modem separate, what modem should I get?

Last edited by JB7; 05-21-09 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-24-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
I'm fairly dumb when it comes to routers, but I bought a Linksys WRT54G2 in December and it was easy to set up and has been rock solid. I have a laptop and 2 iPod Touches running off of it....

Looking at this one. Is the range OK? Is N not worth considering at this time?
Old 05-24-09, 02:49 PM
Banned

I have a belkin... think it was 25 bucks.... works just as well as the other 3 or so I've had.....
Old 05-24-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Looking at this one. Is the range OK? Is N not worth considering at this time?
I'm in 2-story modest-sized house, and the router is upstairs. I get a strong signal downstairs (and all over the rest of the house) no problem.
Old 05-27-09, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in 2-story modest-sized house, and the router is upstairs. I get a strong signal downstairs (and all over the rest of the house) no problem.
Thanks, that's about what I'd need
Old 05-29-09, 09:47 AM
Cool New Member

I would recommend investing a little more in a dual channel wireless N router if you plan on XBox and are in a moderate house. But the key here is how far from the router will the XBox be? A good rule of thumb is wireless b was designed for 2 devices, g for up to 4 devices and N dual band for 4+ devices. I have my desktop, wireless printer, three TiVOs, 2 PS3s, 2 Wii's and up to 3 laptops. So depending on how far you want to go with this and wireless, it may be wise to invest now in the N-dual band, but for the set-up you have g will be good enough unless your XBox is a decent distance from your router.

The router I'm using is the Netgear WNDR3300. It's on sale right now for $99.99 at Best Buy.
Old 05-30-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just bought one of these myself last week and have had similar great results. I'm running two wired machines, my work laptop wirelessly, an Airport Express for Airtunes, and an iPhone. All work great. I've had D-Link, Netgear, and Trendnet routers before this and they all had problems.D-Link firmware sucked and the wireless connection just went to crap after a few years plus it didn't support WPA. The Netgear had poor signal strength despite having 3 antennas and it would freeze and require rebooting often. The Trendnet would lose the connection then regain it seemingly every time I loaded a web page which led to sites taking 30 seconds to fully load instead of about 5. The Linksys is the best router I've had and is trouble free. Range is good (though I have the trendnet router wired into this in my basement acting as a repeater for the network) and so is speed. Highly recommend it if you're not going to go the N route.
Old 06-05-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
Personally, I'd recommend the Linksys WRT54G-L. You can use it as-is, out of the box, but more importantly, you can flash it to run Tomato or OpenWRT or what have you.
Any appreciable differences between these two? The Tomato-ability?
Old 06-05-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Any appreciable differences between these two? The Tomato-ability?
Well, they look different, and the WRT54G2 has internal antennas instead of the externals the WRT54GL has, although I don't know if there's any performance difference between the two antenna types.

The WRT54G2 has a slightly faster processor. It's also flashable, but only has 2MB of flash memory, meaning only DD-WRT micro or micro+ will fit on it, while the WRT54GL has 4MB of flash memory, allowing for larger firmware like Tomato.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys...series#WRT54G2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys...series#WRT54GL
Old 06-08-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Well, they look different, and the WRT54G2 has internal antennas instead of the externals the WRT54GL has, although I don't know if there's any performance difference between the two antenna types.

The WRT54G2 has a slightly faster processor. It's also flashable, but only has 2MB of flash memory, meaning only DD-WRT micro or micro+ will fit on it, while the WRT54GL has 4MB of flash memory, allowing for larger firmware like Tomato.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys...series#WRT54G2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys...series#WRT54GL
Thanks. I admit I do like the black antenna-less look better, but it's not like it's going to be on public display so I'm trying not to base things too heavily on that. I'm probably leaning toward the GL.
Old 06-12-09, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I decided to go for the WRT54G-L. Appreciate the input.