Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Palm PRE - who's excited?

Old 06-07-09, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Palm PRE - who's excited?

Originally Posted by danicus007 View Post
Music Player: (I did my sync w/ WMP which worked perfect. You can also drag and drop...Pre shows up as a removable drive in Windows. there's a separate ringtones folder to just drop mp3s in there. No stupid downloading and paying for ringtones!!!
Smartphones have been doing that for years. I must be dense because I fail to see why there is buzz about the Pre. Is it because it is Palm releasing the phone, because of the carrier, or some unique feature of the phone itself? Or is it getting exposure with people who haven't previously owned a smartphone before?
Old 06-07-09, 09:10 AM

If you are dense to not see why the PRE is receiving hype then us giving you example will not help either. You still will be too dense!

The UI
The true multi-tasking with WebOS
The simplicity of programming
The look and feel of the UI

List goes on...
Old 06-07-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
so does this thing have a touch screen for typing or is it only keyboard. i've found that i've become so fast with T9 predictive text on a touch screen, i don't bother using my keyboard.
No there is no touch screen for typing, just the physical keyboard, which I might add, is very easy to type on.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I have a simple question, and forgive me if it's an obvious one or if it has been addressed already...Does the Pre have infrared for transferring files? I know that sounds antiquated, but that was always one of the coolest features when updating from one Palm to a newer model. I have an old Sony Clié that's on its last legs.
No, not from phone to phone. You can sync without using a cable though by web connection through your Palm Profile.

Originally Posted by sracer
Smartphones have been doing that for years. I must be dense because I fail to see why there is buzz about the Pre. Is it because it is Palm releasing the phone, because of the carrier, or some unique feature of the phone itself? Or is it getting exposure with people who haven't previously owned a smartphone before?
It's probably because this phone takes all the great features current phones already have and puts them all into one phone. A lot of phone do have some of these features but you'd have to miss out on a feature on one phone to get it on another and vice versa. The pre does it all. The only deficiencies are the storage being only 8gb and the app store (which will get better). This phone does everything an iPhone can do but is much smaller to carry around. That's what the appeal is for me. I personally think the iPhones are very cool but for me they are too big...I need something smaller to put in my pocket.
Old 06-07-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk God

well, i guess i'll hold out for an iphone like device with Verizon since this doesn't have a touchscreen.
Old 06-07-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you get the touchstone? For as impressive as the phone is, I just thought the touchstone was really cool.

I also love the idea of being able to do multiple things at one time. I've never used or played with an iphone, so I don't know it is allows that, but I like it.

I work for Sprint (disclosure!) and the phone is not available for employees yet, but I will be ordering one as soon as they are. For now, I will have to settle for playing with demo phones.
Old 06-07-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the data work in 3g deadzones? I have a sprint bb and data won't work unless the signal is 1xev. On the iPhone it still works on edge
Old 06-07-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, i guess i'll hold out for an iphone like device with Verizon since this doesn't have a touchscreen.
There has been talk of someone writing an app for a touchscreen but I have no idea how or if that will happen.

Originally Posted by JMLEEWIS1
Did you get the touchstone? For as impressive as the phone is, I just thought the touchstone was really cool.

I also love the idea of being able to do multiple things at one time. I've never used or played with an iphone, so I don't know it is allows that, but I like it.
No touchstone. The Sprint store where I got my Pre didn't even get any touchstones at all.

Being able to do multiple things is awesome. I can have pandora radio going and then open fandango or email, chat, etc. and it does it all at the same time. And with no lag I might add.

Originally Posted by al_bundy
Does the data work in 3g deadzones? I have a sprint bb and data won't work unless the signal is 1xev. On the iPhone it still works on edge
Hmmm...I don't know where any 3g deadzones are in my area or I would test that for you.

Last edited by danicus007; 06-07-09 at 11:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-07-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I know it does on my touch pro. Have you looked for hacks that allow it?
Old 06-07-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I updated the pics above with the macro setting turned on. they came out much clearer. Here are a couple more pics:

This is the album list of the music player:

This is the device info screen that pops up when you press the time at the very top:
Old 06-07-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

NYC is full of Sprint 3G deadzone and since it's my work BB i'm not going to hack since it has to work with out BES. I think the corporate email will come in over 2G, but apps won't work unless you have a 3G connection.

and the deadzone are pretty bad, there are even a bunch in manhattan of all places. and i mean Chelsea and not some neighborhood uptown
Old 06-07-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You mean a touchscreen keyboard right??
I downloaded a landscape mode touch keyboard for my Windows Smartphone and that works great, but I personally prefer a tactile hardware keyboard so you know that you are correctly pressing each button while keeping an eye on what you're typing. I'm sure someone will eventually make a touchscreen keyboard app for the Pre.
Does the iPhone have a landscape mode keyboard available? I've played with the standard keyboard on it but found the keys too small and close together. A touchscreen keyboard needs to be larger.
Old 06-07-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fmian View Post
Does the iPhone have a landscape mode keyboard available? I've played with the standard keyboard on it but found the keys too small and close together. A touchscreen keyboard needs to be larger.
In many apps yes, not all. Just rotate the screen and if the app supports data entry the keyboard comes up in landscape. With the upcoming 3.0 mail and the messaging app will work in landscape which should be nice.

One thing that puzzles me on the Pre, if you're using the web browser in landscape mode, how do you enter in text or a url if there's no on screen keyboard? Do you have to slide it open and use it in Portrait? If so that sort of defeats some of the purpose for being able to use the browser in landscape.
Old 06-07-09, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by fmian View Post
You mean a touchscreen keyboard right??
I downloaded a landscape mode touch keyboard for my Windows Smartphone and that works great, but I personally prefer a tactile hardware keyboard so you know that you are correctly pressing each button while keeping an eye on what you're typing. I'm sure someone will eventually make a touchscreen keyboard app for the Pre.
yes. i have an LG voyager and use the touchscreen for text messages. i rarely, if ever use the flip open keyboard and screen unless i'm specifically looking at internet. i never type with it. that's why i'd love an iphone. i don't need a keyboard. just wasted space for me.
Old 06-07-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I will probably pick one up eventually, but how versatile is it with videos? Can I just drag and drop every type of file, no matter the codec, and have it simply play? My Zen V is atrocious for that as it seems that everything needs to be converted. If I get this, I want to replace my mp3 player, and have a very versatile video player, and a phone. It does bookmark mp3s as well right?
Old 06-08-09, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, not from phone to phone. You can sync without using a cable though by web connection through your Palm Profile.
Thanks! Now, let me think, do I still have a Palm profile?
Old 06-08-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
I will probably pick one up eventually, but how versatile is it with videos? Can I just drag and drop every type of file, no matter the codec, and have it simply play? My Zen V is atrocious for that as it seems that everything needs to be converted. If I get this, I want to replace my mp3 player, and have a very versatile video player, and a phone. It does bookmark mp3s as well right?
These are the file types it will play:

Video: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2
formats.

Audio: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you
can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

As far as bookmarking mp3s...if you hit pause and leave the card open while doing other things you can come back and start the song back up. If you close the music app and come back you will not get back where you were. They probably did this on purpose because of the multi-tasking and card method. While playing a song, you can hit the Music button at the very top and there are options for YouTube and Amazon MP3. Hitting either of them will ask you if you want to either search that artists videos on YouTube or their songs on amazon. Pretty cool.
Old 06-08-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love how the notification icons up top look like they are not part of the screen. Love that design.
Old 06-08-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
If you are dense to not see why the PRE is receiving hype then us giving you example will not help either. You still will be too dense!
edit: true.

Last edited by sracer; 06-08-09 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

These are the file types it will play:

Video: MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2
formats.

Audio: MP3, AAC, or AAC+ format. For files received as email attachments, you
can play files in the MP3, AAC, AAC+, WAV, AMR, or QCLEP format.

As far as bookmarking mp3s...if you hit pause and leave the card open while doing other things you can come back and start the song back up. If you close the music app and come back you will not get back where you were. They probably did this on purpose because of the multi-tasking and card method. While playing a song, you can hit the Music button at the very top and there are options for YouTube and Amazon MP3. Hitting either of them will ask you if you want to either search that artists videos on YouTube or their songs on amazon. Pretty cool.
So there is no bookmark option? I play audio files of a radio show that is a 3 and a half hour long track. How can it not let you bookmark your spot? Are you sure there is nothing? That is an incredible disappointment? What if you're in the middle of a movie?
Old 06-08-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

somebody at work got one and i took a 30 second look at it. looks nice, doesn't seem cheaply made. a lot smaller than the iphone and probably better use of the real estate.

maybe later i'll play a bit
Old 06-08-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was under impressed with the feel of the phone, seemed cheap and light, but the software seemed nice. Not a iPhone killer, but it will help push apple into offering more features.
Old 06-08-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

it's a cell phone, it's supposed to be light. and the new iphone is going to be all plastic as well
Old 06-08-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
So there is no bookmark option? I play audio files of a radio show that is a 3 and a half hour long track. How can it not let you bookmark your spot? Are you sure there is nothing? That is an incredible disappointment? What if you're in the middle of a movie?
That does certainly look to be the case. I tried again on both an mp3 and a video clip and there is no option to set a bookmark at all. All you can do is pause the clip and leave the app open while you do other things. The only mention of bookmarks in the manual are for websites.

On a different note, one thing I'm not crazy about is there are no options to change sounds. The only sound that can be changed is the ringtone. As far as notification sounds or getting a different type of sound if it's a VM, IM, SMS, email, etc...it's all the same sound. Not sure how the iPhone handles this...maybe it's the same way. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 06-08-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
it's a cell phone, it's supposed to be light. and the new iphone is going to be all plastic as well
The weight and feel against the current iPhone was night and day...and the iPhone still has a glass front and I imagine the new iPhone will as well.
Old 06-08-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That does certainly look to be the case. I tried again on both an mp3 and a video clip and there is no option to set a bookmark at all. All you can do is pause the clip and leave the app open while you do other things. The only mention of bookmarks in the manual are for websites.

On a different note, one thing I'm not crazy about is there are no options to change sounds. The only sound that can be changed is the ringtone. As far as notification sounds or getting a different type of sound if it's a VM, IM, SMS, email, etc...it's all the same sound. Not sure how the iPhone handles this...maybe it's the same way. Just thought I'd mention it.
I don't understand how such important things get overlooked. What about Audiobooks? Now, if I want to take a break from my radio show, and listen to music instead, I lose my spot? Dealbreaker. I'll wait until there is an option, or else I'm not going to pick this up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.