Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

The Palm PRE - who's excited?

Old 06-03-09, 12:47 PM

Re: The Palm PRE - who's excited?

There you go Teddles!

"Well, Palm doesn't own the Flash technology. Adobe does. Adobe is working on a Flash Player for mobile phones (not FlashLite, but full-blown Flash) that isn't expected to be available until the end of 2009. So, basically, Palm couldn't include Flash because Adobe hasn't made it available on mobile platforms (unless you count FlashLite...which I really don't).

There are 3rd-party web browsers like Opera and Skyfire that integrate FlashLite technology, but those fall short of what Adobe (and I imagine Palm) have in mind for the Flash experience we'll get when the full-blown Flash for Mobile Phones becomes available."

So don't you worry, we Pre owners will indeed have flash. wink wink!
Old 06-03-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, the Touch pro didn't have flash either when it came out, but it does now .

As much as I like playing with the latest and greatest phones I am not sure I want to give up my retention plan...
Old 06-03-09, 02:39 PM

Hardcore apple fan praises the PRE. Nothing short of amazing!

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/gadgets/p...nge-iphone-762

I know, I know.... How much did Palm pay him, right guys!?

Of all the reviews out there, happy to say, that this phone is indeed going to outshine all others!
Old 06-03-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

business week had a bad one. they said that palm is driving developers away

does it do over the air sync of ms exchange?

Last edited by al_bundy; 06-03-09 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-03-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Hardcore apple fan praises the PRE. Nothing short of amazing!

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/gadgets/p...nge-iphone-762

I know, I know.... How much did Palm pay him, right guys!?

Of all the reviews out there, happy to say, that this phone is indeed going to outshine all others!
From the review you posted. I would hardly say that is going to outshine others.

The Pre will be a hit, but the iPhone isn’t going away. First of all, Apple’s 20 million-phone lead will only grow when the new iPhone 3.0 software (and, presumably, a third iPhone model) comes out shortly. Second, Palm’s audience for this model is limited to the United States. It requires a CDMA network, so it won’t work overseas.
Old 06-03-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What it would have done for some is keep people from bleeding from sprint to AT&T. Sadly they are forcing people into specific plans to get this thing. So now those people have to decide between two over priced plans. It takes away the one major advantage the pre would have had.

The Pre might end up being a great phone, but if I had to give up my Great plan for a phone, it would be for the iphone. This is coming from a guy that REALLY likes my Windows Mobile Touch Pro.
Old 06-04-09, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Both Engadget and Gizmodo have reviews up. I skimmed through the Engadget review and they were very positive. Their biggest question/issue was - is it worth for you to switch to Sprint if you are already with another carrier?
Old 06-04-09, 08:37 AM

Pogue is up (mostly rave, Sprint sucks).
Mossberg is up: likes Pre, but disastrous bug hit:
The Pre’s biggest disadvantage is its app store, the App Catalog. At launch, it has only about a dozen apps, compared with over 40,000 for the iPhone, and thousands each for the G1 and the modern BlackBerry models. Even worse, the Pre App Catalog isn’t finished. It’s immature, it’s labeled a beta, and Palm has yet to release the tools for making Pre apps available to more than a small group of developers.

In fact, during my testing, one of my downloads from the App Catalog caused my Pre to crash disastrously — all my email, contacts and other data were wiped out, and the phone was unable to connect to the Sprint network or Wi-Fi. Palm conceded the catastrophe was due to problems it still has getting the App Catalog to work with the phone’s internal memory, and explained that this is one reason it hasn’t widely distributed the developer tools.
Totally self inflicted wound on Palm's part. They could have delayed the release or shipped without 3rd party apps. Imagine what will happen if a substantial portion of early adopters hit this bug -- the Pre will become a bad joke and Palm could well die. Much worse than the botched Storm release.
Old 06-04-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That's atrocious.
Old 06-04-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No, it's exciting!

Games don't get much more hardcore than "am I going to lose EVERYTHING if I press this button?"
Old 06-04-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Both Engadget and Gizmodo have reviews up. I skimmed through the Engadget review and they were very positive. Their biggest question/issue was - is it worth for you to switch to Sprint if you are already with another carrier?
Gizmodo praised the screen and software but said the actual hardware seemed cheap.
Old 06-04-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So did they officially do away with the tethering?
Old 06-04-09, 03:10 PM

Tethering will be avail. when a 3rd party app. is avail.
-So we wait and see.

To Ted:
When flash is avail. to mobile phones then the PRE will have flash!

IN RE:
The phone feeling cheap and plastic like... I went to best buy yesterday. They had a dummy phone with the fake screen on display. I asked if they had a demo. The guy opened up the case, pulled out a box and powered a PRE up. We couldn't get passed the activation screen so I asked if I could at least hold it. I did and by no means does this feel light or cheap. I mean, it's made of plastic so.... But it had a good weight to it and it felt solid. Those people need their heads checked! Also there is talk about the bottom feeling sharp. I couldn't even find what people were talking about. I eventually found what they were talking about and it's laughable. I thought to myself... People are making a big deal of THIS!!!?

So yeah, I was pretty happy with how it felt and the weight of it. If it felt really hollow and cheap I would happily come out and say it. I was worried myself about this when people started saying this. So I held it myself, in person and yeah...

I agree w/ the app store. But I'm not too worried... yeah there might only be a handful against the Iphone app store. But the Iphone has been in the scene for like 3 years. So, within a couple months more and more apps will start flooding the store!

Superman- I hear that... I'm with verizon but will be switching to sprint within a month or so. The service is much better than AT&T. I never owned a smartphone before, so this will be my first, hence making the decision to jump over to sprint easy for me!
Old 06-05-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any word on when the pre will be available in other regions?
Old 06-05-09, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by fmian View Post
any word on when the pre will be available in other regions?
"We've gotten Palm on the record saying that there's a WCDMA (read: UMTS world 3G) version of the Pre in the works, though we don't know when or where. That means that the AT&Ts, T-Mobiles, and Vodafones of the world will get a shot at this baby. Suggestion, Palm: "soon" and "everywhere."

Update: We've just seen a copy of the Pre's press release, and sadly, the 3G GSM version is listed as being intended for "other regions" -- in other words, places not served by Sprint. The good news, we guess, is that we've also confirmed that it's HSDPA, so at least it'll be hauling ass."
-Engadget
Old 06-06-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Pre this morning at my local Sprint store. This thing is slick. For anyone thinking about getting one...do yourself a favor and visit the Sprint store and mess around with it. yes the keyboard is small, but it's simple to type on. I haven't made one typo on it yet. The phone is a little heavier than it looks but not in a bad way. The screen is gorgeous and the apps move very smoothly. Wifi works great...got it connected to my home network.
Old 06-06-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

any pics of some apps running?
Old 06-06-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

are you referring to apps from the app store or any app that might have come with the phone? I can certainly snap a few photos. I've got Pandora Radio going and it's sweeeet. Also have Fangando, Accuweather, Where, Google Maps.

The more I use this phone the more amazed I am. It really kicks ass. I watched a few HD trailers on YouTube and they are simply awesome. I read one review that said it was pixelated and kinda crappy but I'm not sure what they were seeing because it's great on mine. I did upgrade the software to 1.0.2 so maybe that helped. The 3.2mp camera takes a really nice picture and the added flash is a great bonus. No video taking yet though.

The touch screen is very responsive...scrolling through cards, email, web pages is flawless. I opened about 10 cards at once and it did not bog down and my pandora radio didn't stutter/blip at all. One cool thing about some of the apps is that you don't need to input your area since it's going based off your phone. When you open google maps it starts right from where your phone is physically located. I'll snap a few pics right now so you can see the apps I've got going.
Old 06-06-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay here are some pics. I apologize for the slight blur...this thing is hard to photograph because of the screen.

This is obviously the home screen:

This is page one of the launcher menu:

AccuWeather app:

Pandora Radio Splash Screen:

Pandora Radio Playing some Pearl Jam:

For those that were complaining about there not being an alarm clock...here it is:

Clock & Alarm Home Screen:

Main screen with 3 apps (cards) running:

Music Player: (I did my sync w/ WMP which worked perfect. You can also drag and drop...Pre shows up as a removable drive in Windows. there's a separate ringtones folder to just drop mp3s in there. No stupid downloading and paying for ringtones!!!

Google maps:

App Store:
Old 06-06-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another cool thing this phone does to save battery power is when you put it up to your ear the screen goes blank and when you pull it away it comes back on. Not sure if the iPhone or any other phones do that but I think that's an awesome feature.
Old 06-06-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk God

so does this thing have a touch screen for typing or is it only keyboard. i've found that i've become so fast with T9 predictive text on a touch screen, i don't bother using my keyboard.
Old 06-06-09, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by danicus007 View Post
Another cool thing this phone does to save battery power is when you put it up to your ear the screen goes blank and when you pull it away it comes back on. Not sure if the iPhone or any other phones do that but I think that's an awesome feature.
iPhone does do this.

As for your pics... here's a tip... use the Macro setting on your camera. It's the one that looks like a flower. Your shots will be CRYSTAL clear with that setting...

I am very amped up about this phone. Love the direction the technology is going. Here to Palm for putting it all out there on the line!
Old 06-06-09, 10:54 PM

Beautiful pictures, man. They look great and the applications and UI looks very exec! When October comes around I will have one in my hand and will proudly be on the sprint network...

Sure, this isn't an Iphone killer. Does it have the potential? Absolutely. This is the first step for this phone. Sure there are some bugs that need ironed out and that's what updates are for. I'm sure within the next couple weeks updates will be coming around to clear everything up...

Very nice looking phone. The girlfriend and I got to tinker with one at the Sprint store. Was very smooth for us and..... it just looked great.

Enjoy the Pre!
Old 06-06-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital View Post
Beautiful pictures, man. They look great and the applications and UI looks very exec! When October comes around I will have one in my hand and will proudly be on the sprint network...

Sure, this isn't an Iphone killer. Does it have the potential? Absolutely. This is the first step for this phone. Sure there are some bugs that need ironed out and that's what updates are for. I'm sure within the next couple weeks updates will be coming around to clear everything up...

Very nice looking phone. The girlfriend and I got to tinker with one at the Sprint store. Was very smooth for us and..... it just looked great.

Enjoy the Pre!
Good call, I might need to snap some pics with the macro setting on. Those pics are with no flash because the flash just bounces right off that phone.

I really don't know a ton about the iPhone other than messing around with my sister's for a little bit...but I don't see any reason the Pre would be any less of a phone except for storage space and the app store so far. The apps are an easy problem to fix (once the code is made widely available)...the storage space...well not so much.

It really seems to me like the Palm developers took an iPhone and said...'hey let's take what this thing does to the next level.' Even if it doesn't surpass the iPhone, it's certainly good competition and will only lead to better phones down the road.
Old 06-07-09, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I have a simple question, and forgive me if it's an obvious one or if it has been addressed already...Does the Pre have infrared for transferring files? I know that sounds antiquated, but that was always one of the coolest features when updating from one Palm to a newer model. I have an old Sony Clié that's on its last legs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.