Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How to get Blu-ray discs to play in Windows Media Center?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-15-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 128 Likes on 88 Posts

I just bought a new computer, and also bought an LG Blu-ray burner/HD DVD ROM drive for it. The drive comes with PowerDVD, and that program does play Blu-ray discs and HD DVDs on my new computer perfectly fine. But if I go into Media Center, I can't play either format (normal DVDs work fine). I'm guessing Media Center is missing the software to play either HD format? Is there any update that can fix this, or a way to use PowerDVD to play the discs within Media Center?
Old 01-15-09, 06:41 PM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: How to get Blu-ray discs to play in Windows Media Center?

I've never heard of WMC playing Blu-ray or HD and I don't know of any way to combine the players to do so.

Did you get PowerDVD 7? It plays Blu-ray ok?
Old 01-15-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, that sucks. Hopefully Microsoft will do some kind of HD update for WMC. I'm really surprised they haven't yet. Maybe because HD DVD is a "dead" format, and Microsoft doesn't like Sony?
Old 01-16-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think theatertek or arcsoft totalmedia will allow you to watch blu-ray in media center. If you go to AVS, there are a number of threads about watching blu-ray on an htpc withihn media center.
Old 01-16-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Damn, that sucks. Hopefully Microsoft will do some kind of HD update for WMC. I'm really surprised they haven't yet. Maybe because HD DVD is a "dead" format, and Microsoft doesn't like Sony?
HD DVD playback was never built into it either.

While BD isn't natively supported by WMC, it does allow for third-party programs to hook into it to provide this feature. One well reviewed program that does this is ArcSoft's TotalMedia Theater:
http://www.missingremote.com/index.p...1&limitstart=1

Cyberlink is working on a WMC version of PowerDVD, which they previewed at CES.

Last edited by Jay G.; 01-16-09 at 12:12 AM.
Old 01-16-09, 12:19 AM
X
Administrator

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TLwizard View Post
I think theatertek or arcsoft totalmedia will allow you to watch blu-ray in media center. If you go to AVS, there are a number of threads about watching blu-ray on an htpc withihn media center.
TheaterTek can't do BD/HD. They can't afford the license for it. So I don't know how that would work.
Old 01-16-09, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
TheaterTek can't do BD/HD. They can't afford the license for it. So I don't know how that would work.
Well, I knew it was either Arcsoft or TheaterTek, and it seems according to Jay G. that I was right on the money with Arcsoft.

I think I've also read on the forums that if you have PowerDVD Ultra or whatever it is that plays BD that those codecs can be used to play BDs in Media Center. But you might have to also use a third party program like MyMovies or something to make it happen.
Old 01-16-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Alas, Windows Media Center in Windows Vista does not support Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs. You have to use a third-party program such as the more advanced versions of WinDVD or PowerDVD to play back these HD formats on your computer (don't forget the computer hardware has to support HDCP, too).
Old 01-16-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the info guys. I had read about Total Media Theater, and thought I had read something about a way to make it work within WMC. I'll take a look around AVS for info.

You have to use a third-party program such as the more advanced versions of WinDVD or PowerDVD to play back these HD formats on your computer (don't forget the computer hardware has to support HDCP, too).
Yep, I already have PowerDVD, and that does work. And HDCP isn't a problem, I have my monitor hooked up to my computer via HDMI and the BDs that I have played through PowerDVD work fine. I just wanted them to work in WMC.
Old 01-25-09, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RayChuang View Post
Alas, Windows Media Center in Windows Vista does not support Blu-ray or HD-DVD discs. You have to use a third-party program such as the more advanced versions of WinDVD or PowerDVD to play back these HD formats on your computer (don't forget the computer hardware has to support HDCP, too).
You can get around HDCP using AnyDVD HD.
Old 01-25-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I had read about Total Media Theater, and thought I had read something about a way to make it work within WMC. I'll take a look around AVS for info.

Yep, I already have PowerDVD, and that does work. And HDCP isn't a problem, I have my monitor hooked up to my computer via HDMI and the BDs that I have played through PowerDVD work fine. I just wanted them to work in WMC.

MS will have to pay licensing fees to enable BD in WMC, maybe in the version of windows after windows 7
Old 10-08-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anything new in the realm of integrating Blu-Ray into WMC?

I found this link:
http://blog.mediacentersandbox.com/P...9670fe1ff.aspx

...but it doesn't make sense to me.
Old 10-09-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 79 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by CheapBastid View Post
Anything new in the realm of integrating Blu-Ray into WMC?
It looks like the most recent version of PowerDVD has a WMC plugin and interface:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...res_en_US.html
When using Microsoft Windows Media Center, Cinema enables Blu-ray playback. Cinema also supports remote control colored keys during Blu-ray movies playback.
TotalMedia Theater still supports WMC.
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/softwa...ductCode=TMT3P

Originally Posted by CheapBastid View Post
I found this link:
http://blog.mediacentersandbox.com/P...9670fe1ff.aspx

...but it doesn't make sense to me.
It's basically a DIY guide for integrating a BD player program into WMC. The guide uses Notepad and Calc as example programs, but you'd replace the references to these with the file location of the program you want to run to play a BD or HD DVD.
Old 10-16-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[QUOTE=Jay G.;9762045]It looks like the most recent version of PowerDVD has a WMC plugin and interface:
http://www.cyberlink.com/products/po...res_en_US.html

I can confirm that PowerDVD 9 Ultimate has a working interface in WMC under Windows 7 OS. To enable you have to open the program in windows and switch to "Cinema Mode". From there on you have access from WMC as long as the program is set to the cinema mode.