Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

I think I got hit with a Virus . HELP NEEDED

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-13-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well i went to use my computer and it starts freezing on me, then it starts to restart itself. Then i get critical system errors and security warnings. Then the computer just turns off again. So I have now restarted it in safe mode and tried to do a system restore but after I pick the date and click next it goes to the next screen where it says " to restore your comp to the day and time click next" Well I clicked next and nothing happened. So How can i fix this without wiping out my hard drive?

I did a search before I posted this, but the links I was going to follow would not come up. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 01-13-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: I think I got hit with a Virus . HELP NEEDED

If you really think you have a virus, the only way to be sure you get rid of it is to do a full format and reinstall. I know other say you can get rid of it other ways but the ONLY safe way is to format and reinstall. Oh and by the way...make backups of your MP3, photos, docs, and so on going forward. This way if you get hit again....its no big deal.
Old 01-14-09, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The security warning is the only thing that would make me think virus instead of some type of hardware/software failure. What did the warnings say?

If you have Vista you can run the Memory Diagnostic Tool to do a general check on your hardware's stability. You can start via the start menu or hit F8 when booting (just after the bios screen) to get the boot manager menu and select it there. Vista's boot disk is also very helpful in troubleshooting problems like this.

If you have XP the Ultimate boot CD is a good free resource. It has hardware utilities and Anti-virus software. The antivirus stuff is outdated, you can get better AV support with a "For Windows" version, UBCD4win, but you have to build it yourself from an XP boot disk and it's pain.
Old 01-14-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, theKorbra's given a solid answer, but since you asked:
Originally Posted by damn_skippy View Post
How can i fix this without wiping out my hard drive?
I'm assuming you don't have an anti-virus program since you didn't mention one, in which case my first advice is: get one. I usually recommend at least the free versions of Avast!, AVG, or Anvira.

http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
http://free.avg.com/
http://www.free-av.com/en/download/1...antivirus.html

Of course, the pay versions are going to work even better at removal and prevention, but at least get a free version.

You'll also want to get an anti-spyware program if the AV program doesn't include one (or even if it does). One is Spyware Doctor, which has a free version available via Google Pack:
http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/google_pack/

Threatfire is another recent anti-malware app that can block threats, even some already installed on your PC:
http://www.threatfire.com/

However, even the best anti-malware apps miss some malware. You can use these online scanners to check for things the above apps may have missed:

Trend Micro HouseCall: Will detect and remove malware; works with both Internet Explorer (IE) and Firefox.
BitDefender Online Scanner: Detects and removes malware; requires IE.
Kaspersky Online Scanner: Detects malware, but doesn't remove it; works with IE and Firefox.
F-Secure Online Virus Scanner: Detects and removes malware; requires IE.
ESET Online Scanner: Detects and removes malware; requires IE.

After you've ran as many anti-virus scanners that you can, you can double-check if it's eliminated everything by downloading HijackThis and generating a log and posting it here:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

HijackThis will scan for everything that's in sensitive areas of Windows, like the startup on boot entries, but it'll include listings for things that are vital for Windows to keep working. So don't try fixing anything on it by yourself unless you really know what you're doing.

Once everything's removed, you may want to repair any damaged/missing Windows files by running a system scan. You can do that by going to a command prompt and typing:

sfc /scannow

If your system is really damaged, it may ask for your Windows Install CD, so try and have that handy. If it asks and you don't have it, SFC will simply abort.

Once your system is cleaned and fixed as much as possible, take steps to prevent future attacks. For one, keep a real-time anti-virus program running at all times. If you have Vista, keep User Account Control (UAC) on. This will force programs to run with limited permissions unless you explicitly allow it to run with higher permissions.

You can also use the Secunia Online Software Inspector to scan for potential vulnerabilities on your system, like out of date software:
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
Old 01-14-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was in a similar situation and my anti-virus program (McAfee) was useless. So I booted up in safe mode and ran:
Spybot (free)
Malawarebytes (free)

It scanned my computer and took out some trojans and that seemed to fix the problem.
Old 01-14-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ran into this with a friends laptop. When going to search for anything related to antivirus, or spyware, the search would fail with "can't connect to the site" type of message. I tried everything, but what finally got things back on track was using Trojan Remover. The program is pretty awesome. Once I finished with that, I was able to get AVG/Norton started up again, and scanned the computer with more AV and antispyware programs, and everything was fine again.
Old 01-14-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure it is a Virus and not something else.. like your computer overheating?

Do yourself a favor before doing any drastic software changes.. Open up the computer and blow out all the dust and whatnot.
Old 01-14-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

here is help

STOP SURFING PR0N!!!

carry on....
Old 02-04-09, 10:18 PM
Banned

get max's spyware detector. it's the best and highest rated out there.