Reload this Page >

Digital Camera Recommendations Needed

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-04-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I already have an old Sony Cybershot 7.2, but i have noticed a lot recently that getting the flash to work well is not easy, and also i have gotten increasingly annoyed with pictures coming out blurry. Can someone recommend a great camera that will eliminate these issues and that will be pocket sized. The higher the resolution the better and also if it has a zoom it would be appreciated. Price is not an issue.

Thanks as always for any help with this.
Old 01-05-09, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/
Old 01-05-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a View Post
I already have an old Sony Cybershot 7.2, but i have noticed a lot recently that getting the flash to work well is not easy, and also i have gotten increasingly annoyed with pictures coming out blurry. Can someone recommend a great camera that will eliminate these issues and that will be pocket sized. The higher the resolution the better and also if it has a zoom it would be appreciated. Price is not an issue.

Thanks as always for any help with this.
The selection of digicams is such a personal and subjective issue that I doubt you'll get any suggestion(including mine) that would be helpful.

Having said that, I did some research and ended up with a Panasonic Lumix TZ5. 10x optical zoom, and all of the standard features and settings that are typical with most cameras.
Old 01-05-09, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Digital Camera Recommendations Needed

You need to make a list of what features are important to you and which ones you can't live without.

1. size
2. battery life - # of pictures before recharge / custom batteries vs AA's
3. picture quality
4. speed (with and without flash + flash recharge time) / shutter speed and overall camera speed
5. type of memory card
6. various modes - auto manual movie etc etc
7. megapixel - don't get too caught up on this one if all your pictures are 4x6 or 5x7 prints
8. brand preference / warranty

For me (well at least on the last camera I purchased), I NEEDED the smallest camera possible with 300+ shots between charges, 3-4 second flash recharge time and enough megapixels to print 'quality' 8x10 prints. I WANTED it to take SD cards and I really wanted it to run on NiMH AA batteries (but I had to give up on that because most AA driven cameras are slow to recharge the flash) and I wanted at least a 3x zoom, and it had to be around $200

I ended up with a fuji F50fd

http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-Finep...1183519&sr=8-1

Prior to this I had two Canon's and I like the feel and use of this one much better. This one will have to break before I "upgrade" again.

Everything is a compromise in small pocket size digi cams. Choose what you can't live without and negotiate the rest in your mind with what is available on the market. Try to go somewhere and use one before you buy it. The feel of a digicam you will use a lot will be the difference of you hating it or loving it. My last A series canon was just way to slow for me on indoor flash shots to the point where I just couldn't stand it.
Old 01-07-09, 11:17 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know you want a pocket size camera, but have you considered a D-SLR? The quality of shots is way better than a point and shoot, so the size is worth it.
Canons are pretty good for Point and Shoots.
Old 01-08-09, 12:18 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I love the Canon PowerShots. Own a couple, and they have always been excellent. Right now I'm using the SD1000 which is last year's model. This year's model (SD1100) looks even better, and I'd upgrade if I took pictures more often.

Just bought a SD770 ($160) for my brother's wife at Christmas. It has an optical image stabilizer, motion/face detection, 10MP and 3X optical zoom. So far she loves it.
Old 01-08-09, 07:35 PM

For the best quality and most control, I would also recommend a DSLR. With that said though, they're not for everyone and even myself (someone who LOVES photography), I never have it with me due to the large size of the "system". It might be something worth looking into if you're serious about photography - I found myself upgrading to a new point and shoot each year before getting a DSLR and wish I had gone this route much sooner.

With all that said, if you're wanting a pocket sized camera I'd have to recommend the Canon G# series (the G9 or new G10). They're the closest to a DSLR in a "point and shoot" size that I've come across:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Powersho.../dp/B001G5ZTPY

The G10 is 14.7 MP (probably the most I've seen in a P&S body, but MP's are not really something I want high numbers on in a smaller body). 5X Optical zoom with image stabilization, hotshoe (for attaching external flash - if you want to), RAW file shooting capability, lots of image control (and actual buttons instead of onscreen). They're about $400-500 but compared to even the $300 cameras out there, the G series is probably the only non-DSLR I'd even consider.
Old 01-08-09, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
The discussion forums on there are pretty lively and have good information from the actual users. There's not only a beginners section but each manufacturer has their own area. When you get your search narrowed down, these forums will let you know the good and the bad about a camera and give great tips.

While a dSLR will give superior PQ, he's looking for something pocket-size... I don't think he has pockets THAT big
Old 01-08-09, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The discussion forums on there are pretty lively and have good information from the actual users. There's not only a beginners section but each manufacturer has their own area. When you get your search narrowed down, these forums will let you know the good and the bad about a camera and give great tips.

While a dSLR will give superior PQ, he's looking for something pocket-size... I don't think he has pockets THAT big
Well, if you want to get technical about it - I have a ScottEvest and can fit a DSLR (with lens) into the pockets

--

One thing I will recommend if you do choose to go the dSLR route in the future is to take a look at that manufacturers' dSLR accessories (flash units, lenses, etc..) and not just the camera body. Unlike a point and shoot where you usually upgrade and start over fresh (except for maybe a memory card), with a dSLR you might upgrade the body after a few years but continue to use your existing lenses, flash units, etc.. and some lines have better, more, or more affordable accessories that fit your needs more than another manufacturer.
Old 01-09-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am using a cannon SD1100 IS pocket camera. No problems with flash or blurry pictures. I think it has 20x zoom. I was watching a baseball game in the top back row and got some good pictures from way back there. It does video also.

I use this camera when I know I will be taking pictures but usually I use the cell phone for in the moment pictures like when the cops are shooting people in the back or to take pictures up girls skirts. I can't really use this camera for those things because I might forget to turn off the auto flash. I hate having to explain why I have camera up someones skirt or getting beat by the police and having my camera taken. Dirty pigs always keeping me down.

Ok no more joking the camera is really good, small, and easy to use. However, I am not a camera person and just wanted something I could point and shoot things with, which this does well.
Old 02-04-09, 10:20 PM
Banned

go to pcworld.com or eopinions.com for reviews on best one
Old 02-04-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Canon SD1100IS and picture quality is amazing check it out:

http://i40.tinypic.com/3518g7m.jpg (tiny pic compressed the image quality)

Video is really clear and crisp too. This camera is so small I was shocked how small it was but it's perfect. It has alot of great features too.
Old 02-09-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i settled for the Canon G10. It was a bit pricey and the higher ISO pictures might not be very good, but overall i think itwas the right choice. Plenty of options, lots of great features and pictures and video are excellent. Having RAW format also is handy. Its a bit bigger than i am used to for a Point and Shoot but what the hell. I was tempted to shell out the extra amount for a DSLR, but the size and non-video stopped me from going there.
Old 02-09-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
I have the Canon SD1100IS and picture quality is amazing check it out:

http://i40.tinypic.com/3518g7m.jpg (tiny pic compressed the image quality)

Video is really clear and crisp too. This camera is so small I was shocked how small it was but it's perfect. It has alot of great features too.
That is a great picture.
Old 02-11-09, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By the way, i read that the G10 does not have the time lapse option, however i saw someone post a quicktime movie showing a time lapse that they had done taking a shot every 4 seconds over an hour and a half. I believe they used the shutter jack and something like it. Can anyone confirm how i could do this?
Old 02-11-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd go with a Canon Digital Elph. Those are the only ones I've ever owned and its all I suggest to people
Old 02-11-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by edytwinky View Post
I'd go with a Canon Digital Elph. Those are the only ones I've ever owned and its all I suggest to people
If that's all that you've ever owned, how do you know that there aren't better suited alternatives?
Old 02-18-09, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well i got my G10 yesterday and played around with it for a few hours. I am suitably impressed. The picture quality is incredible. The sheer number of features is fantastic as well. The LCD is ultra clear. I do not regret getting this for a moment. Thanks for the suggestions folks.
Old 02-18-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought about getting a G9 or G10, but they don't seem to look comfortable enough to shoot for long periods of time, based on their retro form factor.