Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help connecting my Wii to a Computer Monitor (RCA to DVI or VGA)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-30-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I have a question for the tech-savvy folks here. I recently purchased a Nintendo Wii and I'm very happy with the purchase. I use my computer monitor as a television also, since I run cable through my computer. The computer only has space for one RCA input on the back though, meaning I have to switch my cable and Wii plugs in the back of the computer every time I want to use one or the other.

The monitor I have is a 22" widescreen, that has two VGA inputs and one DVI input. Obviously one of the VGA inputs is used by the computer itself, but I was hoping there was a way I could directly connect the RCA plugs from my Wii to either the DVI or VGA on the monitor, via either some sort of converter or something as simple as an RCA to VGA or RCA to DVI cable.

I've tried doing some searching the net for information but everything has been kind of inconclusive. I'm hoping someone can lay this out for me in a simple manner if it's even possible, and what the cheapest and most feasible option is if it is possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

AV 4 Port 3 RCA Composite S-Video Selector Switch Box

6 bucks on ebay.
Old 12-30-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

That is an interesting suggestion that I actually hadn't even thought of. I own a Philips Selector Switch Box that I bought at Target that has three ins and one out. This is definitely something I'd consider.

However, one of my main reasons for wanting to connect directly to my monitor is so I can play Wii without having to turn my PC on.
Old 12-30-08, 03:00 PM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Converting composite video to VGA (not to mention DVI) is not something a simple adaptor can do.

You'll need to get something like this

http://www.startech.com/item/COMP2VG...r-Monitor.aspx

Or you can get the component video cable for the Wii and get a component to VGA converter which would look better.

Here's a component video to DVI converter

http://www.startech.com/item/CPNT2DV...Converter.aspx
Old 12-30-08, 08:03 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are third-party VGA cables for the Wii. One of those may be your best bet. Google "wii vga cable" to find a few options.