Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What's happening, Google?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-10-08, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, for the last 3 to 4 days or so, I have been having some recurring issues with Google. The problems seem to be "on and off". Sometimes I will have the problems for 5 minutes, and then everything works fine again for half an hour, and then it's problematic again for 5 to 10 minutes. Here is what's happening:

When I try and load the search page (www.google.ca or www.google.com) it will take 20-30 seconds to load, or even time out.

More specifically, the "subpages" (gmail, docs, finance) will have even more problems loading, or time out as well.

Also, other non-Google domains that use Google (for Google Analytics for instance) will hang at the moment that Analytics is being contacted.

I tried this both at work, and at home (2 different computers obviously), using 2 different ISP's, and the issue is identical.

Does anybody else have the same problems? All worked great before, and now for the last 4 days or so, this has been happening. I am quite surprised that there have been no posts about this on the blog sphere.
Old 12-10-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No problem for me, I used google.com for a search last night.
Old 12-10-08, 06:27 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
No problem here. I am glad they added a Task List feature to Calendar.
Old 12-10-08, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk God

no problems here
and Im in mail and docs all day

next time you have an issue.. do a tracert to google.com and post your results
Old 12-10-08, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Never noticed anything here either.
Old 12-11-08, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No problems for me at work, home or from my iPhone
Old 12-11-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

No issues here - home or work.
Old 12-11-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
You sure it's Google and not your connection. I have had connection issues with Cablevision since Sunday. Still not fixed, per their technical support message.
Old 12-11-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been accessing google all morning, specifically gmail. Now gmail is not working, google talk is not working, and they contiunally come up with DNS errors.
Old 12-11-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by debbert View Post
I've been accessing google all morning, specifically gmail. Now gmail is not working, google talk is not working, and they contiunally come up with DNS errors.
No problems using GMail this morning for me.
Old 12-11-08, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
You sure it's Google and not your connection. I have had connection issues with Cablevision since Sunday. Still not fixed, per their technical support message.
I would not post a suggestion that it would be Google if I would not have researched my connection first.

If you would have ready my post, you would have noticed that 2 computers on 2 different ISP's had identical issues. My colleagues reported identical issues, both at work, and at home (again, different computers using different connections).
Also, something I did fail to mention, not a single other website gave me problems, except websites that (indirectly) use Google through Google Analytics.

My company is on Google Apps Premium, so I was lucky that I could call Google and complain about latency issues. They have since confirmed that there was an issue, but apparently only for my region (Alberta, Canada). It seems weird that it would be so localized, but so it is.

So, problem appears to be solved. It *was* Google. Next time, I will do a tracert as suggested by twikoff.

Thanks to everybody else for reporting.
Old 12-11-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by LolaRennt View Post
I would not post a suggestion that it would be Google if I would not have researched my connection first.

If you would have ready my post, you would have noticed that 2 computers on 2 different ISP's had identical issues. My colleagues reported identical issues, both at work, and at home (again, different computers using different connections).
Also, something I did fail to mention, not a single other website gave me problems, except websites that (indirectly) use Google through Google Analytics.

My company is on Google Apps Premium, so I was lucky that I could call Google and complain about latency issues. They have since confirmed that there was an issue, but apparently only for my region (Alberta, Canada). It seems weird that it would be so localized, but so it is.

So, problem appears to be solved. It *was* Google. Next time, I will do a tracert as suggested by twikoff.

Thanks to everybody else for reporting.

Sorry skimmed a little too quickly.
Old 12-11-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had some issues with Google Analytics based websites too the other day. How weird, I thought it was my router.
Old 02-04-09, 09:44 PM
Banned

Re: What's happening, Google?

i never have any problems