Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a good scanner that does 35mm (camera) negatives?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-07-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a good scanner that does 35mm (camera) negatives. Any recommendations would be great

Thanks.
Old 12-07-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't you need something that will do 2400 pixel/inch (and better) for negatives? That can't be a cheap proposition for a legal paper size scanner.
Old 12-07-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't have any personal experience scanning slides. However, Amazon has an Epson scanner that has 6400 dpi on sale for under $200 right now:

http://www.amazon.com/Epson-Perfecti...dp/B000VG4AY0/

From the reviews, it looks like the software included with the scanner is for the most part sub-par, and if you have Vista you may want to download the drivers from Epson's site to ensure they're up to date and Vista compatible.
Old 12-10-08, 11:39 AM

That depends to a large extent on what you consider "good." I use a Nikon 5000 ED.

It's 4000 dpi. It has a system that automatically removes scratches and it does a fantastic job (so good I've just been rescanning images I scanned with my previous scanner instead of trying to fix them in Photoshop) --but since it's based on differences between color layers it doesn't work with b&w film (unless it's chromogenic). By this I mean, the auto scratch removal doesn't work with b&w film --the scanner still produces great images.

It's not what I'd consider cheap either --goes for about $1,000. But that Epson V500 mentioned above seems to be a pretty good scanner at a pretty good price. It's got good reviews on B&H, which I'd credit more than the reviews on Amazon. I'd probably buy the Epson myself at that $175 price, considering the reviews and how infrequently I use the one I have.

Last edited by hermes10; 12-10-08 at 11:51 AM.