DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Hard Drive Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/542777-hard-drive-question.html)

BrIaNMeRcY 11-01-08 03:42 PM

Hard Drive Question

Recently, I purchased a 250 GB hard drive that I set as a slave. Now the master drive is giving me serious issues. I just wanted to know if I'll lose any data on the slave drive (unconnected) if I re-install Windows on the master drive?

Jay G. 11-01-08 03:58 PM

No.

What kind of issues are you experiencing on the master drive? You may want to check to make sure the drive isn't failing before you spend the time re-installing Windows on it.

BrIaNMeRcY 11-01-08 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 9043492)
No.

What kind of issues are you experiencing on the master drive? You may want to check to make sure the drive isn't failing before you spend the time re-installing Windows on it.

Eveytime I turn it on, it goes to a screen where it give you options to boot up in Safe Mode, Lask Known Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. Everytime I choose the following, it ends up restarting on its own.

grenier 11-01-08 07:02 PM

Is Windows shutting down normally?

ernestrp 11-01-08 07:05 PM

I guess it could be the bios. Did you go into the bios and see if it was detected? I guess you might need bios upgrade to if you are talking about an older computer with a new harddrive

Jay G. 11-01-08 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by BrIaNMeRcY (Post 9043535)
Eveytime I turn it on, it goes to a screen where it give you options to boot up in Safe Mode, Lask Known Configuration, and Start Windows Normally. Everytime I choose the following, it ends up restarting on its own.

Every time you choose which? "Start Windows Normally"? And what you you mean by "restarting on its own"? Does it reboot during the booting process, or do you get to the desktop and then it reboots at some random time?

BrIaNMeRcY 11-01-08 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 9044116)
Every time you choose which? "Start Windows Normally"? And what you you mean by "restarting on its own"? Does it reboot during the booting process, or do you get to the desktop and then it reboots at some random time?

Everytime I choose "Start Windows Normally", it goes to a blue screen and restarts on its own.

ernestrp, the BIOS sees both hard drives sucessfully.

Jay G. 11-01-08 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by BrIaNMeRcY (Post 9044205)
Everytime I choose "Start Windows Normally", it goes to a blue screen and restarts on its own.

Does the blue screen say anything, such as give a specific code? Can you boot into Safe Mode successfully?

You wouldn't happen to have an HP PC, would you? Did you just upgrade to XP SP3?

BrIaNMeRcY 11-02-08 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G. (Post 9044298)
Does the blue screen say anything, such as give a specific code? Can you boot into Safe Mode successfully?

You wouldn't happen to have an HP PC, would you? Did you just upgrade to XP SP3?

The blue screen goes so quick that I can't see what it says.

The computer was a custom built computer. I didn't upgrade to Service Pack 3.

GHackmann 11-02-08 09:26 AM

Did this happen immediately after you installed your new hard drive? It could be that XP can't locate your Windows installation because you made a minor change to your hard drive configuration (XP's bootloader is disturbingly easy to confuse). A Repair install from your XP CD would fix that.

BrIaNMeRcY 11-02-08 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by GHackmann (Post 9044716)
Did this happen immediately after you installed your new hard drive? It could be that XP can't locate your Windows installation because you made a minor change to your hard drive configuration (XP's bootloader is disturbingly easy to confuse). A Repair install from your XP CD would fix that.

I don't think the new hard drive has anything to do with it. I'm going to have a friend take a look at it this week.

Nifty03 11-03-08 06:48 AM

Does it work again if you take out the new HD? Sometimes there are alternative pinouts for setting a drive to slave that you may need to use. If there are not any in the manual then check out the web site for them.