Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 7 Discussion Thread

Old 10-21-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Windows 7 Discussion Thread

Did they close the Vista loophole where you could install Vista without a key and then within 30 days use an upgrade key to activate?
Old 10-21-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Did they close the Vista loophole where you could install Vista without a key and then within 30 days use an upgrade key to activate?
Unknown. Nobody has a Win7 upgrade disc/key to try yet.

However, MS has stated that Win7 Upgrade edition needs to be installed on a PC with an existing activated install of Windows. If true, this would eliminate the Vista loophole, which relied on the upgrade media installing over an unactivated install of Windows.
Old 10-21-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Is that going to work like a clean install? Meaning can I format my entire disk and start Windows 7 from zero.

(I'm going to start the install from Vista 32 bit of course)
Old 10-21-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit. I'm planning on upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Is that going to work like a clean install? Meaning can I format my entire disk and start Windows 7 from zero.

(I'm going to start the install from Vista 32 bit of course)
You can perform a custom clean install of Windows 7 64-bit over Vista 32-bit. Make sure all your hardware devices have 64-bit drivers, and that you don't use any 16-bit applications (it's unlikely that you do).

I'm a bit unclear on your upgrade path though, since you mention both formatting the disc and starting the upgrade from Vista. Are you planning on formatting the drive, installing Vista, then upgrading to Windows 7?
Old 10-21-09, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking on, when doing the upgrade to Windows 7, format the drive. Actually, my plan is a little bit more interesting. This is for my home desktop, mind you, that's why I'm going to run some "risks".

Right now I have everything in one Seagate 750 GB drive. OS, pictures, video, music, programs, etc. With an external backup for pictures, video and music.

Today or tomorrow I'm planning on installing a new 1.5 TB hard drive. I'm going to move all Users data to that drive. So only the OS and programa go in the C:\ drive. Why I'm going to do that? I want to get an SSD drive, planning on getting a 128 GB SSD, and use that as the C:\ drive.

So that's my plan for Windows 7, move all the data (music, pictures, videos) to another drive, and then when doing the upgrade install Windows 7 in that SSD drive. That's why I was thinking on formatting that drive (currently C:\ drive).
Old 10-21-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3 View Post
Right now I have... one Seagate 750 GB drive..... I'm planning on installing a new 1.5 TB hard drive.... planning on getting a 128 GB SSD, and use that as the C:\ drive.
So what is going to be your arrangement when installing Windows 7?

C - 128GB SSD
D - 1.5 TB HDD
E - 750 GB HDD

Can you fit three drives in your PC?
Old 10-21-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I received the Windows 7 family pack upgrade from Amazon this afternoon. I decided to try to install it over my Windows 7 RC and I didn't need a vista disc or key. I thought with the upgrade you had to have Vista installed, I did not. I did a custom install, or format and everything worked.
Old 10-21-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack View Post
I received the Windows 7 family pack upgrade from Amazon this afternoon. I decided to try to install it over my Windows 7 RC and I didn't need a vista disc or key. I thought with the upgrade you had to have Vista installed, I did not.
You need Windows XP, Vista, or 7 installed to use the Windows 7 upgrade.

I did a custom install, or format and everything worked.
Just to be clear: You didn't format the drive then boot from the disc. You started the install from within 7 RC and chose a custom install, which created a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium. Right?

I'm asking because a custom install isn't the same as a format-then-install, although both methods are used to create a clean install.
Old 10-21-09, 07:15 PM

Yes, I didn't boot from the disc, I did a clean install with the disc inside Windows 7 RC. I still was under the impression that it wouldn't work with the Windows 7 RC, that I needed to reinstall Vista on the machine before I could install. Either way, I'm so glad I didn't reinstall Vista on the machine. It would have been a waste of time.
Old 10-21-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And, it hasn't bugged you to activate or anything? Did it ask for a key at all? Try going to the System Properties and see if it's activated.
Old 10-21-09, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
And, it hasn't bugged you to activate or anything? Did it ask for a key at all? Try going to the System Properties and see if it's activated.

Of course I had to use the product key that came with Windows 7 Family Pack, but I didn't have to have Vista installed, use a disc, or Vista key. I did check system properties. It's fine.
Old 10-21-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d View Post
Hi Guys
I bought a new comptuer with windows vista preinstalled a year ago. I will be getting the Windows 7 upgrade next week. Is it possible to do an clean install with the upgrade version windows 7? If so can you tell me how to or provide a link on how to do this. Thanks in advance.
My Mom brought a new HP computer with Windows Vista preinstalled about 6 months ago. How does she go about getting a free Windows 7 upgrade disc?

Last edited by kahuna; 10-21-09 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by kahuna View Post
My Mom brought a new HP computer with Windows Vista preinstalled about 6 months ago. How does she go about getting a free Windows 7 upgrade disc?
Go to Hp's website. I'm pretty sure they have a section that lists all computers that qualify. If you do, you just enter your info and they'll send it.
Old 10-21-09, 08:14 PM

IIRC, she probably won't qualify for the free upgrade. I think that only applied to pcs purchased after a certain date in late June.
Old 10-21-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Couldn't you have installed rsat from here?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
nope.. thats the one that wouldnt work on 7100.. installs on 7600 only

there use to be one out for 7100, but it was yanked
Old 10-21-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Couldn't you have installed rsat from here?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
Thanks. That is what I have been looking for. Will give it a try tomorrow.
Old 10-21-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack View Post
I still was under the impression that it wouldn't work with the Windows 7 RC.
I guess you missed this post I made in this thread earlier in the day:
As shipped, the Win7 RTM discs will not perform an in-place upgrade from W7 RC. However, a custom install is possible.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/14/m...upgrade-rules/
Old 10-21-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As others have pointed out, the PC has to have been purchased between June 26th, 2009 and January 31st, 2010 to qualify for a free upgrade disc. Information on the free upgrade would've came with the PC if it was eligible, most likely.

Links to the various manufacturers pages for the free upgrade program can be found here:
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/934258
Old 10-21-09, 10:26 PM

I guess you missed this post I made in this thread earlier in the day:

I thought that applied to non-upgrade versions. Mis-read.
Old 10-21-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by twikoff View Post
nope.. [that's] the one that [wouldn't] work on 7100.. installs on 7600 only.
After some investigation, it looks like you're right.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-6919184f6ecc

I found a workaround for the ""The update does not apply to your system" error that it throws that someone figured out for the Vista version. Perhaps it'd work for getting RSAT 7 final on Windows 7 RC.
1. Extract the contents of the .MSU file using the following command:
'expand -f:* "Vista 32-bit.msu" C:\Temp'
This extracted the msu file and we got the .CAB file.

2. Installed the .CAB file using package manager utility. We used the following
command:
'pkgmgr.exe /ip /m:"path\package_name.CAB"'
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...9-dbb73572e017
Old 10-21-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wetsprockets View Post
IIRC, she probably won't qualify for the free upgrade. I think that only applied to pcs purchased after a certain date in late June.
I called HP and talk to customer service rep and she said we qualified. But when I went to their site and even though the computer she brought is on the lists. She purchased her computer 1 month to soon. The site says 06/27/09.

So we are thinking about getting the Windows 7 family pack upgrade. Would this work for us? She has Vista Home Premium 64 bit version, my brother has the same OS but 32 bit version and I have XP.

Last edited by kahuna; 10-21-09 at 11:48 PM.
Old 10-21-09, 11:55 PM

Yes, the Family Pack would work if Hp doesn't send you one. I'm running it on an Hp laptop. Also, the family pack comes with both a 32 bit and 64 bit disc.
Old 10-22-09, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just a heads up, if you went for the $30 Student of Windows 7 Upgrade and want to make a change in your order (Like 32 to 64 bit like I did) you can only cancel your order through today (the 22nd). This is what the e-mail I got said:

Thank you for contacting the Windows 7 Offer online store.

We understand that you need Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade 64-bit rather than the 32-bit.

On your behalf, we have cancelled your order for Windows 7 Home Premium so that you can place a new order for Windows 7 Professional. Please be advised that cancellations are only possible for pre-orders through October 22, 2009. After that time, cancellations will be no longer possible.
Also, what is going to happen after I run the small installer I've downloaded (DLMWin7HP64US.exe)? Does that just download an ISO image, actually install Windows 7?

Last edited by Nifty03; 10-22-09 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-22-09, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
Also, what is going to happen after I run the small installer I've downloaded (DLMWin7HP64US.exe)? Does that just download an ISO image, actually install Windows 7?
If you get Windows 7 through MSDN Academic Alliance, it just downloads an ISO that you need to burn onto a DVD yourself. I assume they'd do it the same way for non-MSDN downloads.
Old 10-22-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
From the name, it looks like it's a Download Manager for Win7 Home Premium 64-bit US. So I assume it just downloads Win7. An ISO would be the simplest method of distribution.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.