Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Any way to convert Youtube video to DVD?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-20-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done this?

How can it be done?
Old 09-20-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vixy.net. Converts the videos to manageable files you can then convert to DVD.
Old 09-20-08, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've already been able to d/l the videos with keepvid.com. But the problem is how do you then

1) join them together? (I'm trying to compile a video using videos that are in parts on Youtube, for example video1, video2, etc.)
2) once they're joined, how do you the convert them from mpeg4 to .vobs?
Old 09-20-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
What dvd creation software are you using? Roxio can do this for you without much of a problem - convert most any format to DVD and burn the DVD. I have had problems with some movie trailers from apple.com's movie trailers - no sound, but others convert flawlessly.
Old 09-20-08, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is breaking the forum rules.
Old 09-21-08, 09:28 AM
X
Administrator

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
This is breaking the forum rules.
In what way?
Old 09-21-08, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by X View Post
In what way?
Quoting the sticky thread:
Requesting or providing help in copying copyrighted material
will get you suspended or banned.

This is assuming that the Youtube material the OP is copying to DVD is copyrighted.
Old 09-21-08, 09:48 AM
X
Administrator

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
That would have to be the assumption. The question is, is the material being talked about copyrighted?
Old 09-21-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X View Post
That would have to be the assumption. The question is, is the material being talked about copyrighted?
Technically, is there anything on Youtube that isn't copyrighted? Even someone's home video is copyrighted unless explicitly released to the public domain.
Old 09-21-08, 02:31 PM

I would imagine that unless the video itself stated that it was copyrighted that uploading it to youtube was in itself releasing it into the public domain. Myabe I am wrong.
Old 09-21-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRyan View Post
I would imagine that unless the video itself stated that it was copyrighted that uploading it to youtube was in itself releasing it into the public domain. [Maybe] I am wrong.
You are wrong. From the Youtube terms of service:
http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

6.C)
For clarity, you retain all of your ownership rights in your User Submissions.

And in regards to end viewers use of the videos:

4.C)
You agree not to access User Submissions (defined below) or YouTube Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.
Old 09-21-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To clarify, what I'm referring to is a series of amateur ethnic dance exhibitions. To my knowledge, they're not copyrighted by anyone. They are public exhibitions and the videos are posted on Youtube to been seen by whoever wants...why should anyone worry that anyone would download and put on a DVD? I certainly don't intend to profit from the DVD - heck, no one in their right mind would buy it!

Anyway, if this is against forum rules, mods please feel free to delete or lock the thread.
Old 09-21-08, 05:07 PM

ok.
Old 09-21-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slateef View Post
To clarify, what I'm referring to is a series of amateur ethnic dance exhibitions. To my knowledge, they're not copyrighted by anyone.
Just because something was publicly performed and recorded doesn't mean there's no copyright. The original performance can be copryrighted, as can the recording of said performance.

They are public exhibitions and the videos are posted on Youtube to been seen by whoever wants...why should anyone worry that anyone would download and put on a DVD?
Most likely nobody would worry about it. The point still is there that, technically, you aren't given license to do so.

I certainly don't intend to profit from the DVD - heck, no one in their right mind would buy it!
Profit doesn't enter into it. A lot of the threads that have been locked down have been people asking about doing prohibited actions for personal use, such as copying a DVD to their HTPC or portable device.

Anyway, if this is against forum rules, mods please feel free to delete or lock the thread.
If X doesn't feel this is against forum rules, I don't have any problem with it staying open. I think the forum prohibition is more against copying copy protected material, rather than just copyrighted material. With the later, there's a lot of fair-use exemptions possible, while the former is a clear DMCA violation. Maybe the sticky-thread's title should be corrected if this is indeed the case.
Old 09-21-08, 10:46 PM

You should be able to use something as simple as Windows Movie Maker to make a DVD from several different videos. If WMM cant do mpg4 then you could use another program to convert them to WMV. But any video editing software should allow you to put the files together into one file that could then be burned to DVD.
Old 09-24-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I figured it out with a little help from the folks over at afterdawn.com. Required 2 different programs, but it worked like a charm!