Reload this Page >

Anyone have the new, new, Hotmail yet?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-14-08, 09:24 PM
Suspended

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Microsoft is yet again changing Hotmail again (as most of you prob already know) not sure if this has anything to do with those Seinfeld commercials but this is all they give us for a sneak peak:

http://www.windowslive-hotmail.com/c...us/default.htm

Since Hotmail has been around for a while.....are there any long time users here who have been given the upgrade yet?

Not sure if I'm jumping the gun or not but that link above has been around for about a month now and I would really like to try it ou/get some feedback from anyone who may already have it.
Old 09-15-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not out yet, as far as I can tell. At least, when I check my account, it hasn't been changed.
Old 09-15-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I can't see how it can be much worse than the last new version of Hotmail.

When I have a 22" widescreen monitor and STILL have window sizing issues, it's just BAD.

-jason
Old 10-30-08, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, just yesterday, when I logged into my E-mail through Hotmail, the new version is there. It does look nicer, and certainly loads faster. An improvement, to be sure.
Old 10-30-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like everything Microsoft, Hotmail is so weak.

It gets more spam than all my other accounts combined.

I tried the new interface with the mail 'preview' and then turned it off.
Old 10-30-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the original. It works just fine for what I need.
Old 11-04-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Logged into hotmail today and had the new hotmail.
Old 11-04-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the new one too. The one huge thing I really fucking hate is that when you want to delete multiple mails at a time (and thus have to check the check boxes), if you barely miss a check-box in your hastiness, it opens the email you clicked on and you have to go back and start the whole process over again. Super lame.
Old 11-04-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
My regular hotmail didn't get changed but I have another hotmail account that's under an alumni alias and it got the new change.

Regular hotmail still has option of turning on the "full" version if I have a fast connection (I really don't). So the classic version is on there. But the alumni account with the new look doesn't look like there's an option to switch between classic/full or whatever. I think it looks nicer and loads faster but I can't get it to default to plain text editor like with the classic view.
Old 11-04-08, 07:00 PM
Suspended

I finally got it today as well. I like it a lot - more than gmail.

But it's obviously in it's very early stages - Chat integration is coming as well as other enchancements.

The ads suck but to be honest...for the first time, they don't really bother me as much.

El Scorcho - why not just click the "check all box" then uncheck that way - still not an excuse I know but just checking to see if you knew about that option if not, there ya go.
Old 11-04-08, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just logged in my regular hotmail tonight and it has the new look too now. So I guess everyone should be getting it now this week.
Old 11-05-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't care for the new style. I like having the delete function available no matter where I am in the email, but other than that, I don't like it. I also wasn't able to find a way to go back.
Old 11-06-08, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I logged on to check it out and noticed they deleted all my email because I guess I didn't log on for a while. Didn't know that and will stick with gmail and yahoo mail from now on.
Old 11-06-08, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't like it now, either. There's some issue of it opening RTF e-mails in the Opera browser.
Old 11-06-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
My biggest complaint about hotmail (and it seems more of an issue with this new "improved" hotmail) is I like my messages in my box to be oldest to newest so I can read/respond to messages in the order they were received. I can sort by date to set 'em up that way. As I go through the messages and then reply to one, once I return to the message the order has shifted back to newest to oldest. It's a real thorn in my side.
Old 11-08-08, 12:13 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got it yesterday, I think it's pretty good. Way faster than the older version.
Old 11-08-08, 09:58 PM
Suspended

Apparently Microsoft is going to be making changes to it again due to all the complaints.

They really, really, really, need to drop the banner advertising that has no effect. It's just an outdated method.

They have recognized the ads are a problem but highly doubt they'll drop them.

The next round of enhancements will feature a bigger viewing space (obviously), more messages per page, more themes (not that big a deal), and of course in the coming months everyone will have chat intergrated.

This Live stuff actually had a shot but they just won't leave their outdated ways - personally, I think they need to. With "cloud computing" on the way and laptops out-selling desktops......changes are a must and although this really doesn't have too much to do with adverts or making any drastic changes....it does have some impact.
Old 11-08-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
It just looks like Outlook to me. Maybe I haven't been upgraded yet.
Old 11-09-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks like I got the new style too - not wild about it so far.
Old 12-17-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they changed it again a little bit. But it's working much better in Opera now.
Old 08-20-10, 05:05 PM
Suspended

Re: Anyone have the new, new, Hotmail yet?

Ok, I only bumped this thread cause I didn't find another.

Hotmail had yet another upgrade (about a couple of weeks ago) and I actually like it a lot. Seems like they improved in all the right areas (mainly with their filters - not the custom ones you use via the web app but literally...Their filters).

The layout is much nicer, message formatting has been tightned up, there is no longer an ad in every email you send (the text ad is gone).

There is still no auto-refresh or title bar message count though.

One thing I can't stand at all is being redirected to MSN after signing out ------- drives me crazy for some reason.

What's your thoughts (and of course if there is already a thread out there go ahead and post it here)?
Old 08-20-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Ok, I only bumped this thread cause I didn't find another.

Hotmail had yet another upgrade (about a couple of weeks ago) and I actually like it a lot. Seems like they improved in all the right areas (mainly with their filters - not the custom ones you use via the web app but literally...Their filters).

The layout is much nicer, message formatting has been tightned up, there is no longer an ad in every email you send (the text ad is gone).

There is still no auto-refresh or title bar message count though.

One thing I can't stand at all is being redirected to MSN after signing out ------- drives me crazy for some reason.

What's your thoughts (and of course if there is already a thread out there go ahead and post it here)?
The new office web apps that are incorporated into it are kind of nice if you get an attachment that's an office document and you don't happen to have office installed on the machine.
Old 08-21-10, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
+1.
Although I have the "only accept cookies from the site I visit" option on in Opera and now hotmail just complains that it can't sign me out (although it does) and doesn't return me to MSN.

I had been meaning to dump Hotmail and when this latest update didn't support Opera I switched over to gmail. I have kind of a slow connection and hotmail always took forever to load. And it loaded in fits and starts so as I was reading the email it would reposition back to the top of the page. Using gmail in standard mode loads in an instant. I'm glad I switched.
Old 08-21-10, 11:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I also can't decide if I am amused or annoyed about how Microsoft congratulates itself when I manually clean out the junk folder.

"You don't have junk here (hooray!)—Microsoft SmartScreen is working to keep it out of your inbox, too."

It reminds me of the days when Windows would blow up with a blue screen of death and then complain that you hadn't shut down the computer properly the next time you booted up.
Old 08-21-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm actually surprised people still use Hotmail.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.