Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

N Wireless Router with 5ghz?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-17-08, 12:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a recommendation for a router that supports 5ghz. While the Dell Inspiron we have is only 811g at the moment, we'd like to up the connection speed with a new adapter and router. Since my current wireless router (Linksys WRTP54G) is becoming unreliable, this seems like a good time to upgrade. From what I've read 5ghz gets you away from other devices that use the 2.4ghz band and produced a more reliable connection.

It would be nice if it supported 5ghz and 2.4ghz at the same time.

My desktop will be hardwired to the router (Dell XPS with Vista) and my wife's laptop (Inspiron running XP Pro) will be wireless.

Recommendations are appreciated.
Old 08-17-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 189 Likes on 142 Posts
If you've been happy with Linksys for the most part, they have a dual-band router:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT610.../dp/B001AZ01EO

Do you need the phone jacks that are on your current router?
Old 08-17-08, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Do you need the phone jacks that are on your current router?
Well, it's vonage/linksys router all-in-one, but it is becoming more eratic in operation. I spent an hour on the phone with vonage and they finally determined the router was defective. It wasn't the first time I've called with the problem either.

That was the good news, the bad news is they no longer provide wireless routers. They are sending me a vonage modem(?)...hmmm...I'm not sure what they are sending. It will have an output to feed into the wireless router. So now I will have three devices, the cable modem, the vonage modem, and the wireless router...wonderful.

So, no I don't need a router with phone jacks. I did a google and saw the very same vonage router I now have and someone was asking over $200 for it.

I noticed the following about the router you recommended, which I like:
But unlike other speed-enhanced technologies, Wireless-N can dynamically enable this double-speed mode for Wireless-N devices, while still connecting to other wireless devices at their respective fastest speeds. In congested areas, the "good neighbor" mode ensures that the Router checks for other wireless devices in the area before gobbling up the radio band.
I take this to mean I can have a G device (say my Wii...that's G isn't it?) and a N device (maybe my wife's pc with an N adapter connected at the same time...correct? I'm a litter concerned about the number of negative reviews for the router on Amazon.
Old 08-18-08, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
The Vonage "modem" is probably a Linksys PAP2 VoIP adapter. I've had one for 3-4 years now (with another VoIP company, not Vonage) and it works pretty well.

I wonder if the router might work better if you flashed it with Tomato once you had the VoIP adapter up and running? Tomato is rock-solid and is hands-down the best router firmware I've ever used (if you use Bittorrent at all, you ABSOLUTELY want to look in to Tomato's QoS implementation - it rocks!)
Old 08-18-08, 12:22 PM

Actually the modem is going to be a TI Motorola Reconditioned VT2142RB. I got that off the shipment notification email. I went online and found out that I can hook up my new wireless router (whichever one it is), to my cable modem and connect the wireless router to the vonage modem and connect the wireless router via ethernet to my desktop and of course use wireless for the laptop. This way the vonage modem has nothing to do with my internet connection being provided to our pc's.

Do you recommend Tomato for any wireless router I choose? I presume if I google Tomato, it won't be hard to find.
Old 08-18-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jack999 View Post
I take this to mean I can have a G device (say my Wii...that's G isn't it?) and a N device (maybe my wife's pc with an N adapter connected at the same time...correct? I'm a litter concerned about the number of negative reviews for the router on Amazon.
Yeah, the device can handle both bands simultaneously. There's another Linksys dual-band on Amazon with better reviews, and a higher price:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WRT600...dp/B000WG3ZU4/

Keep in mind that dual-band N is bleeding-edge technology at the moment (N itself is still in the draft stages). All the routers I've googled have had various issues, although firmware updates have fixed some of them.
Old 08-18-08, 12:54 PM

What about this http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-DIR-655-Extreme-Wireless-Router/dp/B000LIFB7S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1219081714&sr=1-1
It's getting good reviews.
Old 08-18-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's nothing that suggests the router supports simultaneous dual-mode, or even has 5GHz support at all (N can be carried on 2.4Ghz channels).

The manual on the DLink page says it's frequency range is 2.4GHz to 2.483GHz, so definitely no 5Ghz support.
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530

If the router has 5GHz and simultaneous dual-mode support, those features are going to be prominently featured in the name/description of the device.
Old 08-19-08, 09:38 AM

On another board someone made this comment:
Anything that uses the 5 GHz band is proprietary and will force you to use one of thier non-standard cards to get the benefits.
Is this true? It seems bogus to me.
Old 08-19-08, 10:58 AM

I know this does not help with your initial question but I own that D-Link 655 mentioned above and it has been rock-solid. I have several 2.4ghz devices running in the house and I have always had a good connection. Actaully, I am running a G router and this N router simultaneously with no problems.

Not to mention, the 655 is hands down the best router I have ever owned. I have had every major brand including an older Dlink (which sucked as well).

Anyway, I have had it running a little over a month so far and have not had to "powercycle" it once so far. I can not say that about any other router I have ever owned unfortunately.
Old 08-19-08, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by CRyan View Post
I know this does not help with your initial question but I own that D-Link 655 mentioned above and it has been rock-solid... Not to mention, the 655 is hands down the best router I have ever owned. I have had every major brand including an older Dlink (which sucked as well).

Anyway, I have had it running a little over a month so far and have not had to "powercycle" it once so far. I can not say that about any other router I have ever owned unfortunately.
Ok, now you guys are really making it hard on me I was really wanting to get the Lynksys with the simultaneous dual band but it's user comments are all over the place, while the Dlink is getting more consistent, positive reviews. Then I read rock-solid, and from another board, very reliable. Gee, something I'm not used to in a router. Well, the new leader is the Dlink.
Old 08-19-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On another board someone made this comment:
Anything that uses the 5 GHz band is proprietary and will force you to use one of thier non-standard cards to get the benefits.
Is this true? It seems bogus to me.
It's not strictly true, no. 802.11a protocol uses 5 Ghz band and wasn't proprietary, although it never caught on for home consumer use.

With the 802.11n protocol, it's still not finalized, so all existing "N" wifi implementations are actually "pre-N" or "Draft-N." Since there isn't one standard definition of what "pre-N" is, various manufacturers may use different specifications, making interoperability often unlikely. However, depending on the hardware, these devices may eventually be upgradable to be compatible with the finalized N standard.

There is now a pseudo-standard for N called "Draft 2.0", which means any wifi device N Draft 2.0 certified should work with any other similarly certified device, even from a different manufacturer. Here's a list of N Draft 2.0 certified devices:
http://certifications.wi-fi.org/wbcs...tions%5B%5D=33

Note the emphasis on "should," since even with Wireless-G there's sometimes compatibility issues with different brands, and it's considered best to use all the same brand wifi equipment if possible. Also note that the N compatibility issues also apply to 2.4Ghz N devices as well, although these all have G compatibility to fall back on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n#Status

Last edited by Jay G.; 08-19-08 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-19-08, 12:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
About the worst wireless units I've ever had have been D-Links. But they weren't "N"s.
Old 08-19-08, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
The 655 is on the list. One more item in it's favor.
Old 08-19-08, 01:32 PM

I know the firmware on these things can be updated. That doesn't include upgrading to 5ghz in the future, does it? I'm thinking that's a hardware upgrade. I'm also starting to think that 5ghz is still to new to be reliable.
Old 08-19-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the firmware on these things can be updated. That doesn't include upgrading to 5ghz in the future, does it? I'm thinking that's a hardware upgrade.
You are corrects, adding 5Ghz support would require a hardware upgrade.

I'm also starting to think that 5ghz is still [too] new to be reliable.
As I pointed out 802.11a has been using the 5Ghz frequency for nearly a decade without issues. In fact, the dual-band N routers typically have Wireless-A support as well. It's really the N protocol itself, as well as consumer-level dual-band transmitters, that are relatively new.

However, you're probably right in that you can stay away from the 5Ghz N routers for the time being. Unless you were really getting a lot of interference in the 2.4Ghz range, there's not a lot of immediate benefit to switching to it now.
Old 08-19-08, 04:17 PM

I ordered the 655.
Old 08-19-08, 05:25 PM

Well revive the thread when you get it and let us know how you like it. Unless you get a lemon, you should be very happy with it. And yeah, I rank this thing highly because it is the first router I have not had to think about after setting it up. Not too mention, it really does give me near gigabit speeds across my wired network as well.

It just works.
Old 08-19-08, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by CRyan View Post
Well revive the thread when you get it and let us know how you like it.
Will do.
Old 08-20-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by X View Post
About the worst wireless units I've ever had have been D-Links. But they weren't "N"s.
Amen, brother!

For some reason, home wireless routers only seem to last 2-5 years before "wearing out", so I've been through several models over the years: a Linksys 802.11b model (still works), a Microsoft MN-700 (worked OK, had a bug that caused wireless to stop working after running a BT client for a few days), a Gigabyte 802.11g model (LOVED it, but it just kinda died eventually).

After the Gigabyte model, I got a D-Link WBR-2310 as payment for some IT work. It wasn't my first choice, but it was either wait 6 weeks for the bosses to come back from vacation to get a paycheck, or get a like amount of merchandise using the company's Office Depot credit card.

Anyway, this router was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned in my life. It was even worse than the Sony Laserdisc player I owned that broke 10 times in 2 years! The router would reboot up to 20 times a day, even if it were sitting there idle. And I'd get timeouts and other network strangeness all the freakin' time!

After a couple of months of suffering with it, I literally threw it away and bought a Linksys WRT54GL, which was immediately upgraded to Tomato.

And THAT is the best router I've ever owned, bar none!
Old 08-21-08, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum View Post
I got a D-Link WBR-2310 as payment for some IT work...Anyway, this router was the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned in my life...After a couple of months of suffering with it, I literally threw it away and bought a Linksys WRT54GL, which was immediately upgraded to Tomato.
After starting two threads for recommendations and reading the Amazon reviews, I have not been able to find a router with even near unanimity of positive reviews...except for the Dlink 655. Even that is tempered by the fact that previous Dlinks are being dinged by comments like yours. I've given up on getting a complete warm and fuzzy before ordering

Speaking of ordering, I ordered the Dlink from Amazon on the 19th, it's in stock, and according to the website is sold and shipped from Amazon. I have Prime and chose 2 day shipping and it won't arrive until the 25th. Wha! I emailed and than called. It was explained to the the item is coming from a drop-shipper (what does that mean?) and it won't arrive sooner then the 25th. The CSR tried to speed it up and couldn't. They gave me a $15 credit to my account as compensation.

I just checked their website again and it still shows as in stock and ships from and sold by Amazon. Oh well, I'll take the $15.
Old 08-21-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After starting two threads for recommendations and reading the Amazon reviews, I have not been able to find a router with even near unanimity of positive reviews...except for the Dlink 655.
Yeah, the D-Link WBR-2310 has a pitiful 2 stars on Amazon, but the 655 has much better scores. It seems like Dlink may have gotten its act together for this one.

It was explained to the the item is coming from a drop-shipper (what does that mean?)
A drop-shipper is a wholesaler that takes orders from retailers and ships the items directly to the customer. A lot of online retailers use drop-shippers so that the retailer doesn't have to have a lot of stock on hand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_shipping

I'm guessing the communication between Amazon and the drop-shipper has broken down in this case, as I think the drop-shipper usually keep the retailers appraised of what they have in stock and shipment time.
Old 08-26-08, 02:57 PM

I've got the 655 and have it installed. My PC is hardwired to it and Stacy's laptop is G rated, so we aren't getting a speed boost. Of course the original reason for getting a new router was because the old one was going bad.

So now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get an N adapter for my wife's Dell Inspiron. Are there recommended adapters for the 655? There are card adapters and usb adapters. Are there advantages to using either?
Old 08-26-08, 03:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Are you frequently copying large files between computers? Why would you need faster than "G" speed?
Old 08-26-08, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by X View Post
Are you frequently copying large files between computers? Why would you need faster than "G" speed?
No, we seldom copy large files. However, her browsing speed is slower than mine. I know if my primary computer was the laptop, I'd want to increase the speed, if possible.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.