Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do i upgrade the Micro SD card in a Nokia phone?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-08, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom got a new Nokia phone that comes with a Micro SD that is 128 MB.She want to have some audiobooks on it so i bought a 2GB Micro SD card so they will fit but when I try to copy the original files on the 128MB card over to the bigger card there is a message in Vista that won't let me copy them.I think some of those files are necessary for the operation of the phone.Is this only a problem with Vista or can i try it on an XP machine?
Old 07-25-08, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
There shouldn't be any files on the card that are necessary for the phone. The phone should work fine even if no memory card was inserted in it.

What are the specific files you're trying to move, and what is the error Vista tells you when you try to move? (i.e. write verbatim what Vista specifically tells you is the problem) Also, what model phone is it?

Also, how are you connecting the SD card to the PC? Are you reading it through the phone's connection to the PC, or through a card reader?

Finally, if those files are needed by Nokia to be on the card, there's a chance that the phone will create those files on the card the first time it's the card is inserted into the phone.

Last edited by Jay G.; 07-25-08 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can, try an XP computer. I gave up trying to transfer stuff to and from SD cards with Vista.
Old 07-27-08, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay G.
There shouldn't be any files on the card that are necessary for the phone. The phone should work fine even if no memory card was inserted in it.

What are the specific files you're trying to move, and what is the error Vista tells you when you try to move? (i.e. write verbatim what Vista specifically tells you is the problem) Also, what model phone is it?

Also, how are you connecting the SD card to the PC? Are you reading it through the phone's connection to the PC, or through a card reader?

Finally, if those files are needed by Nokia to be on the card, there's a chance that the phone will create those files on the card the first time it's the card is inserted into the phone.
The model is NOKIA 7373 and does NOT work without the memory card installed (can't even make a simple call)and the phone does not create any files on the new micro SD.The original card has numerous folders(Dictionary,Photos,Gallery,Videos,Games etc.)containing what looks like proprietary NOKIA file extentions.In vista it just says file can not be copied without any explanation.I tried this on my Dell laptop wich has a card reader.Right now the workaround is to just switchout the cards when she want to listen to the audiofiles.
Old 07-27-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Check page 53 of the user manual for info on the memory card.
https://www.nokiausa.com/A4462181

It says it may store some info the phone uses for themes and such on the memory card. You can also format the memory card from the phone, presumably that would put any files the phone needs on it.

Still, I've never heard of a phone not being able to call out without the memory card. That sounds more like a missing SIM.

Can you hook up the Nokia directly to the PC via USB? Nokia has software for their phones called the Nokia PC Suite. With it, you could make a backup of your phone with the old card in it, then restore that backup to the phone with the new card in it.
https://www.nokiausa.com/A4833786