Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can I convert VOB/IFO files in a folder to something else?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-10-08, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have never had to do this before. I have ripped DVD's (home movies) sitting in folders on my PC. I would like to convert these to the highest quality format I can. Actually, I would like to be able to play them on the PS3 which requires either DIVX, WMV, MP4, etc.

I guess first i need to know what will provide the best results (I am not concerned about drive space - I want the highest quality) and is there a free tool available that will do this in a single step?
Old 07-11-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
autogk
Old 07-11-08, 01:26 PM

Thank you for that. I was able to get it to work immediately. However, I am getting some macroblocking even with the settings set to highest quality. But hey it worked and it does look pretty great.

However, is there a program (even one that costs) that will do this without any noticeable drop in quality? I honestly would like to output the same quality as the original files or is this just not possible with any of the file formats the PS3 will can utilize?

Last edited by CRyan; 07-11-08 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-11-08, 01:33 PM

Cat the vobs together and rename them to *.mpg. No re-encoding. I assume that the PS3 can handle a DVD-compliant mpeg movie. If the movie is not split into separate vobs, skip the first step.
Old 07-11-08, 01:37 PM

or....use dvd decryptor to extract the VOBs as ONE VOB file (there is an option to do this). I think PS3 plays VOBs, so you wouldnt have to rename them.
Old 07-11-08, 01:41 PM

Ok ok. That sounds good. Is there a file size limitation as to what size it can play? The PS3 forums are NOT usually very useful but I was just reading something actually that said it could not play anything over 4gb. I am wanting to stream these.

I am trying a VOB merge program as we speak to see what I come up with.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-11-08, 02:00 PM

Anyone recomend a VOB merge program? I cant get this one large VOB file to even play on my PC. Any thoughts?

Edit. Hmmm. Changing the one large VOB file to a *.mpg extension made it play on my PC. Although, it acts a little funny - the WMP play progress bar is not working correctly.
Old 07-11-08, 03:26 PM

like i said, try re ripping your homemade dvd using dvd decryptor and select the option for no file splitting that way it will create one vob file. the reason it's probably not playing is because you merged them. if that doesnt work, you can use autogk to create one big avi file with minimal quality loss
Old 07-11-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This may be a silly question: Since copying a DVD requires a program to break the disc's encryption, how come a vob file be easily copied and viewed from your hard drive or converted to another format so you can watch it on your PSP, etc.? Kind of makes the whole trouble to encrypt the DVD seem rather pointless to me since the vob file is so easy to duplicate.
Old 07-11-08, 05:54 PM

You have to decrypt a copyprotected DVD to get to the VOB's in the first place.

But to note, that is certainly not what we are talking about here. My personal DVD's are not encrypted.

And thanks for all the help. I think I got it working. Oddly, the merge program worked for several but I had to go back to my original DVD's to allow DVDDecryptor to create one large VOB.

It is too bad TVersity does not allow on-the-fly coupling of VOB's. Oh well this works and thanks again!
Old 07-11-08, 06:15 PM

BTW, if you want to shrink them down to smaller avi files (say from 4.35 gb to 1.5gb) using auto gk to encode it to avi, i dont think you will see a difference...plus, you'll be saving space on your hd
Old 07-11-08, 08:17 PM

I am afraid I was seeing a difference when I tried that. I was getting a little bit of combing that was not present in the original and since these are family archives I want the best possible.

Thanks again though. This has been a learning experience.