Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Help w/ T-Mobile HotSpot wireless router

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-08-08, 11:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am currently using Lynksys Cable modem and Linksys WRT54G wireless router. My "main" computer is a wired connection to the router but I also have a laptop and ipod touch using the wireless connection.

I just recently bought the T-Mobile [email protected] service and Linksys WRTU54G-TM wireless router. From what I understand, this router is only necessary if you would like to keep a dedicated land line in your house. Furthermore, a UMA phone (Blackberry Curve 8320) can take advantage of the wireless connection to make/receive calls.

I have a VTech multiple cordless handset phone system that I'm going to use for the land line.

Is it possible to get the T-Mobile router to connect to the other wireless router via wireless connection? I have successfully connected them with a cable and everything worked fine, but I'd really like to place the T-Mobile wireless router in my kitchen so I can hook it up to my base station to my land line phone (more central location). Reason being is that my computer and wireless router are in a small room on the other end of the house...

Since it worked with a cable, shouldn't it also work wirelessly, too?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 210 Posts
You'll want to set the WRTU54G-TM as a wireless bridge. You'll do this under Advanced Routing in the Setup Tab of the WRTU54G-TM's web interface.

Check page 21 of your user guide:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=6467902493B01
Old 07-12-08, 12:48 AM

I obviously did something wrong b/c it didn't work. Sounds too easy. How do I get the TM router to find/connect to the original router? How do I enter the network key? Unfortunately there aren't any details in the manual which I didn't even get in the box from T-Mobile to begin with. Figures...
Old 07-12-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by guppie
I obviously did something wrong b/c it didn't work. Sounds too easy. How do I get the TM router to find/connect to the original router? How do I enter the network key?
Pages 22-23 detail how to enter your wireless security key. Likewise page 21 shows how to enter the network settings. You'll want all the network settings to be the same between the router and bridge, excepting for the IP address of the devices, which have to be different. You'll probably also have to disable DCHP on the bridging router. The User Guide may have been on the CD-ROM that came with the router; some manufacturers are doing that to save money.

As an aside, it's really hard to find any info on bridging a Linksys that doesn't involve changing the firmware to some 3rd party option. I don't know if Linksys routers typically don't have a bridging option, or haven't had one in the past, but it seems kind of odd. Since your WRTU54G-TM is kinda unique in having phone ports on it though, I wouldn't recommend changing the firmware, since I don't think the 3rd party options support those ports. Also, I don't even know if the existing firmware will support those ports in bridge mode even if you get the bridge working, although I don't see why not.
Old 07-12-08, 09:37 AM

Pages 22-23 explain how to set the wireless security features/network key.

Linksys doesn't go into any further details on how to establish/network a bridge. I was referring to the bridge settings. How do I get the bridge to link up wirelessly with the router? I imagine I would have to enter the network key or something along those lines, otherwise, one of my neighbors could just setup a bridge and link to my router...???

According to other searches I've done, this is what I've trried so far:
Disable DHCP
Enable Bridge
next IP address (192.168.1.2)
same subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
same wireless channel (11).

ALthough once, when I changed the setting to "BRIDGE" I was no longer able to access the settings through any IP address and had to do a "hard reset".

I'll keep searching. There's obviously a way to do this since the "BRIDGE" option exists...

I do appreciate your time and effort in trying to help me.
Old 07-12-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pages 22-23 explain how to set the wireless security features/network key.
I'm not sure what you mean by "network key." Do you mean the WEP/WPA security key, or are you referring to the SSID? Setting the SSID is on page 22. The SSID has to be the same as for the regular router.

Are you connecting to this router wirelessly or with a network cable? Once you set it to "Bridge" it won't be sending out a wireless signal.
Old 07-12-08, 12:28 PM

I didn't know that once set to "Bridge" it is not longer wireless.

I spoke to a Linksys support rep.
This router cannot be setup to connect to another router WIRELESSLY. It's really my fault for lack of knowledge, but I thought you could use another wireless router like a wireless access point (all wireless), but you can't. It can only be done wired.

Wired defeats the whole purpose of having anything wireless, so basically I'm just going to kill the main router (non TM router) and just use the TM router instead and buy a 30' long phone cord and have my land line phone in another room. Its the only way. Kitchen is just too far away.

It would have been nice if Linksys could have made this a wireless access point/router instead of just a router. Lets face it, the central busiest point in any house is the kitchen. Who has their broad band connection primarily based in the kitchen? Unless you have your main computer in the kitchen... Most people have their main computer in a room/office. [email protected] is for people who crave all things wireless (both cell phone and land line phone since they push the VTech 5.4GHz phone system).

I hope all that made sense.

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Old 07-12-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't know that once set to "Bridge" it is not longer wireless.
A bridge is wireless, it's just a wireless receiver, not a wireless transmitter. What a bridge does is take the wireless signal being transmitted by the main router and "bridge" it to the wired ports on the bridge. Since you wanted to connect the phone port to your router, I figured a bridge would work.

Here's a pic to kinda explain the concept.

http://gersbo.dk/wp-content/uploads/...ess_bridge.png

I spoke to a Linksys support rep.
This router cannot be setup to connect to another router WIRELESSLY. It's really my fault for lack of knowledge, but I thought you could use another wireless router like a wireless access point (all wireless), but you can't. It can only be done wired.
An "Access Point" does need a wired connection. However, they now have what are called "Wireless Repeaters" that connect to a Wifi signal and repeat the signal, allowing for a further signal. Linksys sells their own version separate from their routers, which may be why their routers don't support this feature.

http://www.jr.com/linksys/pe/LKS_WRE54G/

Wired defeats the whole purpose of having anything wireless, so basically I'm just going to kill the main router (non TM router) and just use the TM router instead and buy a 30' long phone cord and have my land line phone in another room. Its the only way. Kitchen is just too far away.
If you want, you can possibly turn your WRT54G into a wireless repeater, using the third party firmware DD-WRT:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

Flashing the firmware to the Linksys can be tricky, especially if your WRT54G is version 5 or higher.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...d_til_today.29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys..._series#WRT54G

The WRTU54G-TM cannot be flashed without modifying the hardware first, and there's no indication that the third-party firmware available would support the phone jacks on the router.

It would have been nice if Linksys could have made this a wireless access point/router instead of just a router. Lets face it, the central busiest point in any house is the kitchen. Who has their broad band connection primarily based in the kitchen? Unless you have your main computer in the kitchen...
I'm not sure what being the "busiest" point has anything to do with it, but certainly being centrally located is helpful for wireless transmitters. This is still fairly "cutting edge" stuff for most people though, so it's not surprising it hasn't all been "figured out."

However, the wireless router doesn't need a computer wired to it to work, just the cable modem. If you have a cable outlet in the kitchen, you could stick the cable modem, WRTU54G-TM, and phone base in there, and then connect everything else wirelessly to it (if your main PC doesn't have wifi, you can use the WRT54G as a bridge/repeater as detailed above).

Another thought: where do you have phone outlets in your house? I'm assuming you no longer have standard landline service, so these outlets are essentially useless at this point. I'm wondering what would happen if you connected the "to phone" port on the WRTU54G-TM to one of these outlets, if it maybe would send the phone signal through to a phone outlet in the kitchen, where the V-Tech could connect to it. This would be better than the 30-ft cord your proposing, if it works.
Old 06-30-09, 05:45 PM

Re: Help w/ T-Mobile HotSpot wireless router

I'm attempting to setup the configuration shown in the wireless bridge schematic above. So far I've had no joy! I have a Netgear DG834G modem router which connects a combination of wired and wireless devices. The WRTU54G-TM, I would like to use as a wireless BRIDGE to connect my PS3 and NAS drive which are all wired to the linksys. I anticipate using the wireless bridge to connect to the NAS from my PC which is routed via the netgear.

I've followed the linksys steps as described in this thread so far, but I have not been successful is getting the bridge to work.
Old 12-04-09, 01:02 PM

Re: Help w/ T-Mobile HotSpot wireless router

I'm trying to do the exact same thing. I have a Linksys WRTU54G-TM that I'd like to set up in another room, and use the phone ports with a fax machine, plus the LAN ethernet ports for other devices.

I also have a Linksys WRT160Nv3 that's hooked up near my entertainment center. For space and spouse-retention related reasons, running wires upstairs isn't an option.

It seems as though bridge mode on the WRTU54G is only for the Ethernet ports, and not for the wireless? That's according to Linksys tech support, who don't seem like a lot of help.

If so, what's the point?