Reload this Page >

Changing a hard drive in a laptop

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-25-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a $400 compaq laptop around christmas this year at bestbuy. It came with a 100 gig hard drive. I dont have all the specs of my laptop in front of me but whatever was standard at the time for these $400 laptops marked down from $650 came with the laptop, but I did upgrade the memory to what was needed as people had said what came with my system wasnt enough to properly run vista, but I forget if upgraded to 1 gig or 2, whatever the minimum needed to run Vista is what I put in and I believe the maximum size allowed.

I want to upgrade my 100 gig hard drive to at least 250 gig. I assume I will need a data transfer kit to transfer everything off the 100 gig to 250. I watched a tutorial on youtube on how to use the CMS data transfer kit and it doesnt seem that difficult. Will upgrading the hard drive make my system run slower or is there any other concerns I should be worried about in doing this kind of upgrade.
Old 06-25-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You may just want to get a external HD case to put the old hard drive in to transfer your files, plus then you have a 100Gig External Hard drive. It shouldn't run any slower and is a pretty easy thing to do.
Old 06-25-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can transfer the existing data to the external and then transfer that same data on to the new hard drive no problem?
I want the whole operating system and all the files I have to go on to the new hard drive.
I keep seeing deals on the externals so if this is a possibility I will go that route, thanks for the idea, but I will probably go jumbo on the external 500 gig plus. They're cheap enough. Cheaper than a Jazz drive that I bought, oh 10 years ago and got little use out of. I think those held 1 gig. haha.
Old 06-25-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
I can transfer the existing data to the external and then transfer that same data on to the new hard drive no problem?
I want the whole operating system and all the files I have to go on to the new hard drive.
I keep seeing deals on the externals so if this is a possibility I will go that route, thanks for the idea, but I will probably go jumbo on the external 500 gig plus. They're cheap enough. Cheaper than a Jazz drive that I bought, oh 10 years ago and got little use out of. I think those held 1 gig. haha.
Why? Generally OS files don't really transfer to another drive in a way. They are there physically, but they can't really be accessed to make the laptop work. Meaning if you copy the old hard drive to the new one, it won't do anything. You will need to install a clean version of your OS on the new drive.

Pretty much all you need to do is copy all the files you need (music/documents and such). But you don't even need to send a lot of money doing it. You can make your old laptop drive an external drive for less than $10. All you need is a 2.5" hard drive enclosure and you are good to go. It is self powered and USB, so all you got to do is plug it in and copy.
Old 06-25-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
you cant really straight copy the data
if you want to do what your talking about.. youll need to image the drive
using ghost, or some other flavor of imaging software (tons to chose from)

but you cant just copy your OS or apps from one harddrive to another.. well, not if you want it to boot that is.
Old 06-25-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 207 Posts
If you want the new disc to have the exact same data, OS, software, etc. of the original disc, just with more storage, you'll want to clone the original disc to the new one. From what I've read, this is exactly what the CMS software that comes with the transfer kit does:

http://www.cmsproducts.com/products/..._solutions.htm

Once you're done, you can then put the old drive in the external enclosure that comes with the kit and use it as an external drive. I don't think either Nifty, macnorton or twikoff were familiar were the product you mentioned (neither was I, for that matter), so they gave advice that the CMS kit already covers (full clone of the drive, external enclosure included). It might help if you link the the product next time.

Be sure to tell us how the CMS kit works out. I was going to suggest a do-it-yourself method that works similar, involving Seagate/Maxtor's Maxblast software and an external drive enclosure, but the CMS kit looks like an all-in-one solution.

Edit: BTW, don't buy that kit direct. There's a number of retailers online that have it for less than the $50 CMS is asking for it on their site. Don't end up paying much more than $30 for the kit, as you can get an enclosure for less than that, and the MaxBlast software is free to use as long as one of the drives you have is a Seagate or Maxtor drive.

http://affiliate.buy.com/gateway.asp...ku%3D201956293

Last edited by Jay G.; 06-25-08 at 04:37 PM.
Old 06-25-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the info thus far, one other issue is that Vista was pre-installed on my laptop, I do not have any Vista discs, so is the CMS my best option. I want to do exactly what you said Jay, keep everything the same but have more storage.

I may end up just skipping the whole internal hard drive upgrade and buy an external to store my media files.
Old 06-25-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
Thanks for the info thus far, one other issue is that Vista was pre-installed on my laptop, I do not have any Vista discs, so is the CMS my best option. I want to do exactly what you said Jay, keep everything the same but have more storage.
Yes, the CMS kit will work exactly as you need it to.

I may end up just skipping the whole internal hard drive upgrade and buy an external to store my media files.
Remember that the CMS kit includes an external drive enclosure, so you'll be able to use your 100GB drive as an extra external drive once you've cloned its image over to the new drive.